“2 high quality stays at the Omni Berkshire”

Omni Berkshire Place
Ranked #102 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, Florida
“2 high quality stays at the Omni Berkshire”
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Let me address the renovation concerns first because when I was booking my stays at the Omni, that was the thing I was most concerned about. In fact, this was so important that I had also booked a competing hotel in case the noise was a factor. I had full day meetings the next day on my visits so it was very important for me to get a good night's rest. It turned out that my worries were over nothing. I am a light sleeper but I didn't run into any issues with noise in the morning. Perhaps I got lucky, or perhaps the construction crews were on vacation those days (Apr 22 and Apr 25) but if I had not read the tripadvisor forums, I would not have realized that there were renovations going on. I also did not experience any issues with elevator waits or other issues typical for a renovation. The caveat is that I was lucky enough to get an upgrade on my visits so it's unclear if my noise experience was atypical. The upgraded rooms I had were terrific. I used to live in NYC for 8-9 years, and I have stayed at many hotels in the City since I have left, so I have a very good idea of what is a normal hotel room in the City. These were very high quality rooms, very spacious, probably second in size only to a suite I had at the Yale club years before. Again, ymmv because as I understand it, the standard Omni rooms are, well, pretty standard for NYC.

Some minor quibbles during my stays (but keep in mind, I'd rate my experience a 9 out of 10 overall, and I have already booked the Berkshire for my next trip to NYC):
- I checked out on Friday April 23 and decided to check my bags with the bellman that morning until I could retrieve them later that day. I got very snooty attitude from the bellman. It was along the lines of you're-interrupting-my-daydreaming-time-and-oh-you-better-tip-me-after-I-take-your-bag. Again, I'm an ex-NYer who is used to a little NY attitude but this was not normal, and definitely not appropriate for a 4 or 5 star hotel.
- I could not adjust the AC fan lower in my room on my first stay. I located the control panel and the other functions were responsive but for some reason the fan control was not working. I had to live with a slightly cold room that night. It was not too bad. The control panel in the room on my stay on the 25th worked fine, so I know it wasn't operator error, either.
- I had breakfast at the Fireside restaurant one morning and the bill was pretty outrageous, even by NYC standards. I remember having a bagel and an OJ, and the person I was meeting with had a fairly typical egg breakfast, with coffee and juice, and somehow the bill came to $40+.

I've written more about the negatives than I intended so I will balance that with some of the positives.
- they delivered 3 newspapers in the morning to my door. I am a newspaper junkie so this was a great treat
- the complimentary beverage delivery in the morning was reliable and excellent. Sign up for their loyalty program to get this.
- wifi worked without any hiccups
- The rooms I had were fantastic. The bathroom was beautiful, clean, well-lit, spacious. Aside from the AC panel issue, everything in the room was top rate. I had a balcony in one of my rooms, which was a first for me in NYC.

I cannot conclude this review without mentioning that when I booked my next trip to the Omni Berkshire, I ran into a glitch in my reservation. My initial calls to customer service got the run around, and I was told that I would get a call back from a director at the Berkshire in 48 hrs. In my experience, that is code for "we will never call you back." However, I did get a call from Kathryn S., who resolved my issue and then went above-and-beyond by stepping through each date of my booking (I have a couple rooms booked under several reservations -- it's complicated) to make sure I had what I wanted, and she then simplified my convoluted bookings and re-created a new reservation, and then typed out an email to make sure I had what I wanted at the right prices. It was probably a 20 minute call, well past the end of the normal workday, and while I'm not conveying it fully in this write-up, it was definitely first class customer treatment. I am a status member of a competing hotel brand but my future business in NYC has been won over by Omni.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Turkish first
Arizona
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I am planning my families first trip to New York and want it to be special. We previously stayed at the Omni in Washington D.C. and loved the hotel. The Omni Berkshire has big shoes to fill and based on the recent comments we are very concerned about the ongoing construction. We booked at another hotel, but would rather stay at another Omni assuming the stay would be nice. Could someone who has stayed at the hotel recently put my mind at ease and let me know their thoughts about the renovation? Thanks so much!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
NYC in Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Great East Side locale, close to shopping, boutiques on our friends residential neighborhoods. Blocks from Radio City. Room Service was to die for on time, hot and a great way to start the day on a Romantic Weekend. Staff were helpful and always had a smile!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Travelled to NYC with my 10 y/o daughter for a long weekend. I have been there several times, but this is the 1st time with her, and 1st time at this hotel. I could not have been happier with the Omni. The doormen were sincerely helpful, especially two from the day shift, one named Eduardo and another native NYer, whose name I missed, but who gave expert subway directions and advice. The front desk staff were also very helpful, as were the concierges, Marilyn, and another man who looks like the actor Richard Balzer, but whose name I did not get either. Our room on the 14th floor was large, well designed, quiet, and kept meticulously clean. Would recommend this property highly for its convenient location, just off 5th Ave, congenial staff, and clean & comfortable rooms. The housekeeping staff was also quite friendly. Very positive experience for us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BRYIDY
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Berkshire Place, responded to this review, April 21, 2010
We are glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at The Omni Berkshire Place. It will be an honor to share your compliments with our associates and we hope that you and your daughter will make it back to stay with us again soon!
Hamilton
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My first trip to New York and we decided to stay at the Omni. As of April 18th renovations are completed for the 11th floor and above. We were on 17 and had no problems with construction noise whatsoever.

It is 52nd and Madison. The "E" train is on 53rd and 5th so it was very convenient. 5 minutes from Rockefeller Center and MOMA. 10-15 minutes from Carnegie Deli, Central Park and the Theater District.

The hotel itself is nice. The renovated rooms were well done. The staff were very friendly. The Omni was a great place to stay and between the new rooms and the location we will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review of The Omni Berkshire Place. It is a pleasure to know that our newly renovated guest rooms, our location, and our staff were all able to meet your needs. Thank you for keeping us in mind for future stays and we will look forward to welcoming you back!
Nashville
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We just checked out of the Omni this morning (April 11th). My 8 year old loved the hotel--from the cookies and milk to the smiles all around. On our first evening of arrival, she said, "Mommy, they are so friendly." She would casually mention names of the phenomenal staff (from the check-in desk to the concierge--who generously charged her nintendo dsi as we ate breakfast, to the bellmen and the Fireside lounge staff).

We were in a great room 2106 --newly renovated. It had a small problem on the last afternoon of our stay and they moved us into an even nicer room (1912--I didn't think that was possible, but it was!!) For our trouble, housekeeping delivered the sweetest note and a cheese and fruit platter with cookies, chocolate milk and water. I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and SPG Platinum. I usually stay with the Hilton chain. But I am now looking at Omni really hard for trips to larger cities since they don't cover as much territory as Hilton or Starwood nationally or internationally. I've already booked the Omni for a week in October in New Haven for a business.

The complimentary beverage delivered to your room in the am is a fabulous idea. No more looking for a teamaker. Thanks Omni for making our Mommy and Daughter getaway perfect. The American Girl package offered by the hotel is tops!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed a fabulous getaway to The Omni Berkshire Place. Thank you for your many compliments and for considering Omni for your future trips. It will be a pleasure to welcome you to our New Haven property in October!
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I'm planning a trip to NY in May and the Omni was in my top 5 hotels that I was researching to stay at. It's my first time to NY so I wanted to make sure I did my research when it came to hotels. I was deeply concerned about the Construction that was underway so I just called the hotel.

I spoke with someone named Peaches who was completely unprofessional, unfriendly and rude. I understand it's 5am in NY right now but you'd think that they'd have someone decent representing their hotel since that could very well be the first impression.

Anyhow she asked who I wanted to be connected to and when I told her reservations, she said they were closed until 7am. Okay, that's understandable. I continue to ask her about the construction - she proceeded to talk to me like "I" was inconveniencing her and put me on hold without sayiing she was going to gather information. I thought she hung up. She picked up the line and then put me on hold again without saying anything, how do I know? Well because I heard her talking to someone else.

She said that they would be completely finished with the construction in July and had no additional information to give me.

If this is how the customer service is going to be over the phone - I really don't think I'll be staying there. It's really horrible..I was hoping to try a new hotel.

I was wavering on the reservation due to the construction but the customer service completely threw me over the edge. I guess I'll stay somewhere else.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
We regret to hear that your first impression of The Omni Berkshire Place started out on the wrong foot. We strive to provide impeccable customer service no matter the time of day or night and are sorry that in this case we fell short of our own standards. Your feedback gives us the opportunity to recognize an issue and train our associates and for that we are thankful. We would like to let you know that we are currently scheduled to complete our renovation by the end of May and the majority of our rooms have already been completed. If you would reconsider staying with us we would work with you to make sure you are in one of our newly renovated rooms away from construction.