Let me address the renovation concerns first because when I was booking my stays at the Omni, that was the thing I was most concerned about. In fact, this was so important that I had also booked a competing hotel in case the noise was a factor. I had full day meetings the next day on my visits so it was very important for me to get a good night's rest. It turned out that my worries were over nothing. I am a light sleeper but I didn't run into any issues with noise in the morning. Perhaps I got lucky, or perhaps the construction crews were on vacation those days (Apr 22 and Apr 25) but if I had not read the tripadvisor forums, I would not have realized that there were renovations going on. I also did not experience any issues with elevator waits or other issues typical for a renovation. The caveat is that I was lucky enough to get an upgrade on my visits so it's unclear if my noise experience was atypical. The upgraded rooms I had were terrific. I used to live in NYC for 8-9 years, and I have stayed at many hotels in the City since I have left, so I have a very good idea of what is a normal hotel room in the City. These were very high quality rooms, very spacious, probably second in size only to a suite I had at the Yale club years before. Again, ymmv because as I understand it, the standard Omni rooms are, well, pretty standard for NYC.
Some minor quibbles during my stays (but keep in mind, I'd rate my experience a 9 out of 10 overall, and I have already booked the Berkshire for my next trip to NYC):
- I checked out on Friday April 23 and decided to check my bags with the bellman that morning until I could retrieve them later that day. I got very snooty attitude from the bellman. It was along the lines of you're-interrupting-my-daydreaming-time-and-oh-you-better-tip-me-after-I-take-your-bag. Again, I'm an ex-NYer who is used to a little NY attitude but this was not normal, and definitely not appropriate for a 4 or 5 star hotel.
- I could not adjust the AC fan lower in my room on my first stay. I located the control panel and the other functions were responsive but for some reason the fan control was not working. I had to live with a slightly cold room that night. It was not too bad. The control panel in the room on my stay on the 25th worked fine, so I know it wasn't operator error, either.
- I had breakfast at the Fireside restaurant one morning and the bill was pretty outrageous, even by NYC standards. I remember having a bagel and an OJ, and the person I was meeting with had a fairly typical egg breakfast, with coffee and juice, and somehow the bill came to $40+.
I've written more about the negatives than I intended so I will balance that with some of the positives.
- they delivered 3 newspapers in the morning to my door. I am a newspaper junkie so this was a great treat
- the complimentary beverage delivery in the morning was reliable and excellent. Sign up for their loyalty program to get this.
- wifi worked without any hiccups
- The rooms I had were fantastic. The bathroom was beautiful, clean, well-lit, spacious. Aside from the AC panel issue, everything in the room was top rate. I had a balcony in one of my rooms, which was a first for me in NYC.
I cannot conclude this review without mentioning that when I booked my next trip to the Omni Berkshire, I ran into a glitch in my reservation. My initial calls to customer service got the run around, and I was told that I would get a call back from a director at the Berkshire in 48 hrs. In my experience, that is code for "we will never call you back." However, I did get a call from Kathryn S., who resolved my issue and then went above-and-beyond by stepping through each date of my booking (I have a couple rooms booked under several reservations -- it's complicated) to make sure I had what I wanted, and she then simplified my convoluted bookings and re-created a new reservation, and then typed out an email to make sure I had what I wanted at the right prices. It was probably a 20 minute call, well past the end of the normal workday, and while I'm not conveying it fully in this write-up, it was definitely first class customer treatment. I am a status member of a competing hotel brand but my future business in NYC has been won over by Omni.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience enviable luxury at the Omni Berkshire Place located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. Stay just steps from some of New York City's most notable attractions including Fifth Avenue Shopping, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Central Park, Broadway Theatres, and Times Square. Modern Technology and fresh contemporary decor are brought together for accommodations that embrace the look and feel of an Upper East Side residence. Luxury guestrooms combined with the renowned service and amenities make the Omni Berkshire Place an ideal destination for both business or leisure travelers looking to experience the excitement of Midtown Manhattan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Omni Berkshire Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Omni Berkshire Place Hotel New York City
- Omni Hotel Berkshire Place
- Omni New York City
- New York City Omni
- Omni Berkshire New York