“Omni Berkshire hotel in NYC”

Omni Berkshire Place
Ranked #93 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Good quality and excellent location for both business and pleasure. Rooms are quite and clean and will satisfy the needs of the businessman combined with the other facilities of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. Quick check in and out will allow the resident to plan his/hers activities.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (4,052)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The front desk staff at the Omni Berkshire went out of their way to make sure that my partner and I had an outstanding stay. They acknowledged me as a Select Guest member and gave me an upgrade on my room, even though I was using one of my free nights that I had earned in the Select Guest program. Omni Hotels has the best frequent stay program in the business, and the staff at all of their hotels have been wonderful. The Omni Berkshire is located in a great area of Manhattan. It is close enough to all of the tourist destinations, but not right in the middle of Times Square making it relaxing, as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I got married in New York and stayed at the Omni. I chose the Omni because it had very favorable reviews -- specifically, several reviews noted that the staff went the extra mile for them when celebrating special occasions, and the rooms were described as quiet and the beds were said to be comfortable. Our experience didn't quite match the reviews. First, the good. The employees were all super friendly and accommodating. They seemed to remember us and made us feel welcome there. For example, we asked for directions to the nearest pharmacy, and the employee walked us outside and pointed it out to us, which was great. The room was also quiet by NYC standards. Now for the bad. My husband thought that the bed was comfortable, but I, on the other hand, had horrible neck pain that worsened each day that we were there, and was slowly cured after each night that we were home sleeping in our own bed. So, I blame the bed for that. Second, there were maintenance issues. The air conditioning in our room was not working properly. Turned up to 83 degrees, it was still freezing in the room. Also, our bathroom door would not stay shut (we put the wastebasket next to it to keep it shut). To be fair, we did not complain, so the hotel did not have an opportunity to correct these issues, but we did not know about them until we had already unpacked and didn't want to bother switching rooms.

The worst part of our stay was the food from the hotel restaurant, Fireside. We ordered food from there several times (room service and in the restaurant itself) and EVERY TIME they messed up the order somehow. They left the lettuce and tomato on my husband's sandwich at dinner, when he requested that it be left off. They didn't bring jelly, ketchup, or salt and pepper for our breakfast from room service on the second day of our stay. On the last day of our stay, they gave me over-easy eggs when I requested scrambled. The absolute worst thing, which I will go so far as to call a TRAVESTY, was the cheesecake that this restaurant serves. We ordered cheesecake from room service on our wedding night. We were hanging out in our room and thought, "You know, we should order some New York cheesecake." On our first date, we had cheesecake for dessert as a way to extend our date and keep spending time together (without actually expressing that we didn't want the date to end). So, the cheesecake was actually sort of important to us, although that might sound goofy to some. Anyway, this cheesecake from the Fireside restaurant had NO flavor and -- get ready for this -- NO graham cracker crust or any crust of any kind! It was just a blob of what I will call a flavorless "cheesecake-like substance." It was not good.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't receive any upgrade or anything special really other than a congratulatory note slipped under the door. But, I guess you can't really expect freebies. Just be aware that you might not necessarily get an upgrade or free champagne, etc., as you might hope for after reading some reviews.

Overall, our stay was not a nightmare, but it certainly wasn't great for what we paid. I would be surprised if we would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Berkshire Place, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

We truly regret that we missed the opportunity to help make your wedding celebration more memorable and we also apologize for the maintenance and dining issues that you encountered. We sent you a private message in hopes that we can learn more about your stay and review the details with our management team. Your feedback is valuable to us and we hope we will hear from you and have a future opportunity to provide you with a great stay.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband found this place and adopted it as his NYC business hotel of choice as the Intercontinental was too expensive now. I went out and joined him this trip so it became not just a business hotel, but also our base for a weekend city break. It's a great location, slap in the middle of mid-town, but it's also a really good hotel, in fact it's hard to fault it. Rooms are spotlessly clean, modern and amazingly for New York - quiet!! (at the back of the hotel) and not tiny either! Service is excellent, both from concierge and doormen (top tip: they will book you a car to JFK on a pouring wet Sunday afternoon for a fixed $65). The wifi is fast and FREE if you are a member of their loyalty programme. My husband ate in the bar and said his meal was both delicious and healthy. We will both definitely be using the Omni Berkshire again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

If you are looking for a great hotel in a great location with a great staff..the Omni Berkshire at 52nd and Madison is the place to stay. From the minute you walk in the door the staff is warm and inviting. The rooms are great. Very up to date and decorated beautifully.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nice, clean rooms with LOTS of space for being a block from 5th Avenue. Friendly staff that is willing to give directions and suggestions for the best ways to enjoy the city. Great place for business travelers trying to sneak in some fun.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

very helpful staff and top notch service a real pleasure staying at the omni,the concierge service was excellent as well the gym, staff at front desk and doormen .its well worth the stay.the location is one of the best in the city as you can talk to broadway show, go to centeral park or shop on 5th avenue .muesums are also very close.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family