“Like Sleeping in An Unfinished Basement”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #153 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Like Sleeping in An Unfinished Basement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

Boy, I love a cool hotel, hip as they come. Sadly the Thompson LES was less than a comfortable, friendly stay. The cold service were matched by the cold starkness of the rooms. I dunno, it was just trying too hard to be THAT SoHo hotel. It just got it wrong .. felt like the hotel was more about itself than its guests. Sorry, can't recommend.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Hebrew first
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

This is a classic example of a sexy hotel with sexy staff. If you want that, here you go. If you want customer service, look elsewhere.
We arrived at 2:15pm after traveling in Thailand for 2 months. We were exhausted. One person was behind the counter. I waited with my backpack on my back (no bellman offered to take my bag) as two other parties checked in. When I got to the counter, the woman working (cold as ice) told me that our room was not ready. I asked her when it would be ready and she snapped, "3pm, that is check in time, after all". We left our bags and went to the second floor restaurant for lunch. At 3pm, we came back down to check in and surprise, surprise, our room was still not ready.
We were not in our room until 3:45. We sat in the lobby for 45 minutes watching others check in. It was not a great way to start.

Picky things about the room:
-The toilet seat wouldn't stay up, it would close on my husband as he was peeing which is obviously a messy situation.
-Their bath towels are tiny, when I wrapped it around myself after the shower, my butt hung out. Only one bathrobe per room and no slippers.
-Our shower door was broken, wouldn't shut, the seal/hinge was off
-Housekeeping "tidies up" your personal belongings every day, to me this just feels like someone has rifled through my belongings, I just want the room cleaned
-Only sushi for food. I love sushi but my husband does not, so he had no options.
-They charge $10 a day for internet. I strongly disagree with higher end hotels charging for internet, it's not costing them more per user, so charging more after you've already paid a lot for your room is an insult. However, if I am going to pay, I expect the internet to be fast. Their internet is not, we could not stream any video and websites loaded slowly.
-Bedside lamps have no switch, you plug/unplug them, seemed strange.

One of the most annoying things is the elevator key card situation. We were constantly missing our floor and watching the same thing happen to other people because the card reader wouldn't work properly. We rode up with an employee once who said the same, that it was always difficult and even she couldn't get it to work.

Today, the icing on the dumb elevator cake happened to my husband when he got in from his lunch. All of the elevators were broken and he had to walk up the 6 flights of stairs to our room. Thank goodness we weren't on a higher floor.

Our TV froze on a channel and a volume setting. We had to unplug it to turn it off.

The craziest experience I had here was this afternoon, when I placed a room service order at 2:30pm. A woman answered the phone once I hit "restaurant" and took my room service order. She even answered a second time when I called back to ask for ice and said no problem. At 4pm, I called back to see where my order was, after all, the only thing they serve is sushi, how long can it take to send me some raw fish? The man I spoke to at 4pm said there were no open room service orders. I explained that I had given my order to a woman who answered at 2:30 and he said that there was no woman working. The order was completely lost. It was nuts. I called the manager, apologized and sent me my order for half off. The whole thing was just so odd. It felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

We are happy to be leaving this hotel early. Odd issues and overall, a cold staff. Great neighborhood, acceptable room, but nothing special about this operation and no one seems to care how your stay is.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

I can't imagine a better place to stay! I've stayed in many NYC hotels and Thompson LES tops them all. First off, the LES is my fave area so it was a prime location to all my favorite spots. The metro stop is RIGHT there which is huge, a great corner bar (Bar Epstein) just a few steps away. The staff were incredible...so helpful, friendly, and somehow all good looking! I had the most amazing room with a view that would bring a tear to your eye. The room was comfortable, clean, and the design details were wonderful...from the lightbox headboard to the dark hardwood floors, the floor to ceiling windows and cement ceiling, I loved it all. If you like funky, modern architecture, artistic detailing, a stylish but comfortable feel and great location you can't beat this spot. AND it was one of the better priced hotels I found in the city! Thanks Thompson LES for an amazing stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Lalena24
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

Stayed here with my mid-20s son and we both thought the hotel was clean, stylish and good attitude by the staff.
My son loved it because there's young folks here and in the neighborhood, tiny bars and great pizza nearby.
I loved it because I've been to NYC a few times already and now I like to spend time getting to know a neighborhood and the LowerEastSide has a lot of history and some charming restaurants.
Subway stop less than a block away.
We'd both go back in a minute.

• Stayed March 2010
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

I ended up at Thompson LES at the last minute (we're talkin' midnight without a reservation). Not only was I greeted by an extremely friendly reception and door staff, but was checked in quickly and whisked away to a corner room on one of the top floors.

The lobby is small but well designed, and there is a definitely club-like vibe (hipsters outside chain smoking around the clock). I also believe there is a rooftop pool, but since I checked in so late I went straight to bed.

The room was small but perfectly outfitted with a nice size bathroom complete with a huge rain shower head, a nice desk area, an extremely comfortable bed with huge down pillows, and floor to ceiling glass with incredible views of the city. I had a very restful night's sleep (I believe being on a higher floor helped) and was thankful for such a great last-minute find.

The location is a wee bit out of the way for me, but the hotel is worth it, particularly if you can snag a great last-minute deal like I did.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wgsNYC
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Nice, spacious rooms, very good location for downtown/LES exploration.
Got an extremely smelly smokingroom upon arrival, even though we had booked a non-smoking room. No chance for a new room same day, got moved eventually late next day - resulting in smelly clothes and bad sleep. Also negative; no free wifi, expensive inroom movies ($15), poor room-service selection.
Front desk very visually attractive (think Rihanna), but not able to give understandable advise or appreciate complaints. The hotel oversells it's coolness; it's basically just a good hotell at a very good location with somewhat cooler rooms than the ordinary chain hotell.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wallp
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

Love the location in the LES, staff are great ,especially the door/bellman. Restaurant is good, service excellent and I have booked suites at this hotel twice at a very good rate - sign up for their email notifications. Can be a bit noisy as the room doors can slam very loudly, but that is a minor kvetch.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends