“A great find, too bad prices have already gone up”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #141 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro
“A great find, too bad prices have already gone up”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I stayed here on a business trip in April 2009, exactly as the credit crunch was spreading doom all over Europe and the US. So I guess this was the reason why I got a room here for a little more than 100 dollars! I could not believe the price, as NY is notoriously expensive year-round. I had never stayed in the Lower East Side and I loved it. The hotel was brand new and the room was excellent, even though it was probably of a lower standard in the hotel, as it had no balcony and no bathtub. It was very spacious for any city, even more so for NY standards. Too bad a few months later prices shot up again, as I tried to recommend this hotel to a few friends, but they were unable to find the "bargain" I was so enthusiastically talking about. A great option, though, if you like to stay downtown, and noteworthy because it has an outdoor pool, which can be great in the scalding NY summer. Just to finish: it is a trendy boutique hotel, but I've seen fake ones, and this didn't seem like one of them.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Frederico N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have been here twice now, but probably won't stay again. There is nothing really bad about this hotel, it's just that I felt like a fish out of water. I hate to complain about hotels clientele, but both times I have been here I have been met with rude behavior, snobbery, impatience, arrogance and bad manners. This is not from the staff, but from other guests. It is a trendy hotel and as a result I feel that a lot of the guests feel they are a cut above other people. I have experienced pushing and jostling at check in, noisy behavior from neighboring rooms, people cutting in front of me in the line for the taxi. I have never experienced this kind of behavior at other hotels and I travel for business about 30 times a year with about 15 of those trips to NYC.
I want to like the hotel, but with customers like the ones I have described I don't think i'll be staying again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Iain B
darien ct.
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Unfortunately I an compelled to put the word out there for noise sensitive people like myself(though the slamming doors are so loud that you don't have to be particularly sensitive to hear them).
i say unfortunately because most other aspects of the hotel seemed satisfactory and I have stayed at other Thompson hotels and thought that they were a "better" brand so to speak.
This hotel came off feeling cheapish and clueless.
Now I totally get the comparison that another reviewer made when comparing it to the quality of the Royalton.
The first thing a hotel needs to deliver is the comfort of it's guests especially regarding a good night's sleep in the privacy of their room no matter what the hotel may or may not deliver in regards to other amenities that go on in the lobby,etc.
I asked for a quiet room upon check in after reading a couple of reviews regarding the bar noise.The front desk person adknowledged the potential for noise from the bar in the room e were previously assigned 6th floor and switched our room to the 4th floor,away from the bar which I believe is on seven.
All was good ,nice room,we head out to eat drink,etc.
Upon returning to the hotel and settling in for bed I started to hear large banging noises sporadically,they sounded like large crates of liquid(bottles?) being dropped on our ceiling but i knew we weren't under the bar so I called the front desk after the fourth noise and mentioned what was going on...he seemed as baffled as I was but said he would investigate.
Many hours went by,the noise continued,I slept through it as much as one could,sort of, you know...when you are so tired at one point you could sleep at a bus station or airport(this is how I fell asleep both nights).
It wasn't until morning and we left our room that I realized the "slamming "noise was actually the heavy doors to the rooms that have no hinges(or not slow enough ones) and slam shut whenever anyone enters or exits their room(no fault of the guest who is oblivious to this unless trying to sleep),and I mean "LOUDLY" as there was a long hallway between our door and where we actually slept and I could not hear elevator shafts,voices or any other noises.
This is such a SHAME as the rooms are otherwise well insulated(no street noise,couldn't hear adjacent guests,etc.)and I am writing this in hopes that the hotel manager/owners /architects will see this and do something about it.
I mentioned it several times and again upon check out and the staff,while polite and considerate, I realize now might have been playing"dumb" since there is not much they can do about it anyway(in the moment).I would think they would want upper management to know.Nobody adknowledged being aware of this issue.Upon check out the young lady commented"well I wonder who was slamming their doors" and I said nobody"they slam themselves shut".
This is a hotel I would have returned to if not for the needless noise issue.I really liked the location and the hotel seemed adequate otherwise...I'm not the type to complain over petty issues and in fact only write reviews when I have something really good to say about a place that I would like to share with fellow travelers.
Needless to say we had to endure a second night of the same which was sort of depressing going back to the hotel after a nice dinner knowing you were going to encounter more "slamming".It's really loud because the doors are so heavy,sounds like a BANK VAULT closing shut each time.Or a JAIL CELL DOOR.Needless to say I had many opportunities to analyze the sound.
In addition to the inner doors slamming,we also had to endure the jolting of the balcony door of the room adjacent to us in the wind...I only mentioned it to the front desk when we were rifled out of bed at 3 a. m, and had to go down to the lobby in our pajamas after a false fire alarm...what timing...just as I was finally getting to sleep!
Murphy's Law,I guess.

Washington DC
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Stayed for Dec 25 to 27th, king studio room. Plenty of space, probably 350 sq feet. Clean, new, bathroom is great, shower is large with great shower head and water pressure. Bed is comfortable, great view from floor to ceiling windows, however we were on the 11th floor, facing north, and the Ludlow apartment building blocked some of the view.

Staff is great, young and hip, but attentive, they know how to run a boutique hotel.
Great local in LES, walking to LES shops and restaurants, and walking to Soho.

All around great experience. Looked at the Bowery king room too, and went by and saw the room, nice, but the Tompson is much newer and larger with a much nicer and more modern bathroom.

Henderson, NV
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I am writing on my first night staying here at the Thompson LES. Upon check in, I apparently got the last room in the room class we bought...i.e. the worst room in the class. I expect NYC rooms to be small, but this one is minuscule, NO place for clothing or luggage. My colleague who checked in with me got upgraded to a much better room. We asked if there was anything they could do for me, but they snidely said, "afraid not, you are locked into your room category, since you got the last one, we will upgrade your friend here, but you get your category." Again, I expect people to be not-so-nice in nyc, but come on. So I check out my other colleague's room, in the same class as mine, and not only is hers twice the size, with a much bigger bed, bathroom and tv, the appointments are MUCH nicer. I called down to the desk and asked if I could pay to upgrade and they informed me they were "fully committed". They have vacant rooms, but are holding them until 3am.
THEN I come to find out that my deadbolt is not working. I, again, call the front desk where they send up the bellman, who was very nice, but couldn't fix it. They said I was very safe regardless, but I'm a single female staying in NYC. Still a bit nerve-wracking. I called down once again to inform them the deadbolt was still not fixed, and she said, "oh, I'm sorry about that". I asked if there had been any cancellations, and at this point I was willing to pay an upgrade and she said, unfortunately no. Now, being in the customer service industry, I know there are things they CAN do, they're just choosing not to.
I finally got a call back from the night manager telling me I will be moved in the morning due to my security issue. But for tonight, I am left with a tiny, non appointed room, with no deadbolt. Thanks, Thompson LES. You better have a new attitude in the morning or there will be many more terrible reviews like this one. I would not recommend this hotel, nor would I stay here again. I just hope they can at least make the rest of my stay somewhat worthwhile.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Boston MA
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Rate and Value: Found a $300 rate on Quikbook, first week of December, heavy tourist week, hard to find anything decent in NYC under $450.
Room and Property: Room was miniscule, only slightly bigger than the queen bed. The rooms shown on the website must be the biggest suites. Clean and very modern. Bed on very low platform. Floor to ceiling window gave dramatic view but felt a bit exhibitionistic. Not for those with a fear of heights. Small desk and chair, no dresser, no proper closet, no iron. No free wireless. Nice modern bathroom with rain shower head, shower causes water to splash all over bathroom floor, small scratchy towels, no hook or towel bar to hang wet towels. Smallish lobby with big restaurant and lounge on 2nd floor.
Service: Young, eager, not especially professional.
Neighborhood: A bit out of the way, but interesting, lots of trendy shops and cafes in the mix with a few old neighborhood shops. Absolutely hopping at night, crowds on the streets.

USA
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Not a big fan of boutique or trendy hotels , but was booked here for a few days by clients.
This was really a very positive surprise and experience , much better than other trendy hotels i have stayed in . Located in a great neighborhood with lots of local flair and history,
plenty of coffee places , restaurants and old famous delicatessens - have to spend the weekend next time.
The service is excellent , from the doormen who were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area, to the check in staff.

The bar is nice if you can use the outside deck , inside not so fun. The restaurant has a good menu , but questionable lay out and decor .

Rooms are comfortable , a bit on the dark side for me , beds are very comfortable, slept like a baby.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business