“Trendy & classy with a good vibe all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #153 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Trendy & classy with a good vibe all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

Very impressive building! I didn't come across any parts of it that weren't done well (and believe me, I looked). The place had nice finishes all-around and just had an overall classy vibe to it. The moment I got there, I said that I was gonna write a review on here about it!

The place straddles the line of laid back vibe and party hotel very well. I was in town for a conference, so I wanted some decent rest, and found no problems being totally relaxed there. I was on the 5th floor and I could occasionally hear some dishes clanking from the restaurant, but nothing overly excessive. Almost no traffic noise from a relatively busy part of the city.

At the same time, if I had been up for a party, this would be the place to find one. The place is quite trendy and in a pretty lively neighborhood, so I could see some people feeling a bit out of place there. The staff (and patrons) were all amazing so if you're sometimes uncomfortable being in trendy places, just keep an open mind about it all, and I'm sure you'll find everyone absolutely charming.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank highzee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

Perhaps we were expecting more out of the Thompson LES since a few friends who had recommended this mini-boutique chain of hotels had raved about it. Not to say we were disappointed, just thought that they need to work out a few kinks.

We booked a King Junior Suite. Upon arrival, we went through a fairly smooth check-in process (the doormen at this hotel are top-notch by the way, but I'll explain that later). The room itself was spacious for NYC hotel (although in any other city, our room would be considered an average size King room), nice amenities (C.O. Bigelow bath products, beautiful soft Italian sheets and a very relaxing waterfall shower head). I'm not a big fan of the current trend in hip boutique hotels towards having platform beds but I have to say, this one was one of the more comfortable ones that I've slept in.

Our room was on the 7th floor - right across from the "lounge/patio/bar". As the night wore on (we were weary travelers who just wanted to sleep), the music from the bar just got louder, the people going in and out of this bar more and more loud and drunk. Also, our room (#703) was situated directly across from an exit door of the lounge that was constantly being used by the bar patrons. I ended up calling the front desk and spoke to the night Manager (Alfie) who was as helpful as possible but didn't have another King room available on another floor until the morning (they had a room with 2 Queens but my husband is 6'4" and that wouldn't have worked for him). We decided to make the most of the night (well, what was left of it) and would move in the morning. If you find yourself during check-in being given Room 703, try and have it changed unless you are okay with a sleepless hotel night.

In the end, they moved us to Room 1103 - a lovely Junior King Suite room on the 11th floor with a beautiful view and most importantly we were able to sleep soundly through the night.

The Wifi was down throughout our stay (although we were charged on our bill, they did adjust it ) and during our check out the Front Desk's IT system was down as well so we were unable to receive a copy of our bill.

Overall, the staff was friendly (and beautiful - something to be expected). The Doormen however should receive special kudos. They were helpful with making sure our rental car wasn't ticketed when we first arrived since we had to park in front of the hotel for about a half an hour, and they were just great at always making sure our bags were taken care of (luggage and shopping!).

My husband (who is less the hotel snob than I am...but that's only because I travel for a living and stay in a ton of hotels) loved the place and would highly recommend the place. Me, I liked it too, would recommend it for its location (right in the heart of the Lower East Side, close to the great shopping and restaurant districts of Soho, Nolita, East Village and LES). Conveniently located across the street from an F subway stop that easily takes you uptown or to Brooklyn.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I decided to crash in the city for our 1 yr anniversary even though we only live about 8 minutes from Manhattan. We chose the Thompson LES because we wanted to be downtown and also had heard about the rooftop pool and the weather was great. The staff at the front desk was so accommodating and treated us very well. They also upgraded our suite to another room and made us feel extra special. The room was incredible, let’s just put it this way it was the Penthouse so I have nothing bad to say at all. Nevertheless, the pool was nice and great when it was 90 degrees. The bar was a cool place to hang out at night, and even with so many places to have drinks in the city I thought the open air bar was fantastic. We are planning on going back, and the hotel is a great choice. Yes it is modern and very typical trendy NYC. So if that is not what you are looking for, keep that in mind.

2 Thank nflores07070
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Thompson LES has a very modern look and is clean. Additionally, the front desk was super accomidating and went out of their way to give us directions and assistance. Christian, the "doorman" rocked! He gave us so much help and being a native, had wonderful tips, conversation and very quick service. The food and drinks were good, not stellar. The rooms are small (stayed on the seventh floor) but were always attended to by the cleaning service. It is housed in a fun neighborhood; Soho and all the unique shops are close by, (we suggest hitting Rice to Riches on Spring St., a delicious rice pudding only place, for a yummy and unusual dessert experience).

Only real draw backs were the pool because it was disorganized in regards to no towels, minimal lounging areas and closed bar. Also the bed STUNK! Horrible sleep and only a few inches off the ground-very uncomfortable and not for anybody with back issues!

Overall for the price, its a good hotel experience because the hipness factor is not sacrificed for the cost; during our three day stay we ran into Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson, several famous football players and a Vouge photoshoot was hosted in the lobby. A customer can get a true, well-rounded New York experience at Thompson LES.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

I had the Hotel Chandler booked originally due to the great reviews here but changed it to the Thompson LES when I heard about a deal which was $167 per night with a $100 credit for the restaurant Shang for a King Studio Suite.

I was a bit wary after reading some of the reviews here but what can I say! We loved it! I don't understand what a lot of the negative comments are about. We got an email from the concierge beforehand asking us to choose when we would like our meal in Shang.

We got tickets for the US Open (golf) delivered to the hotel and they were only too happy to help.

When we arrived we didn't have to wait long at all to get checked in. Our room (407) was on the 4th floor overlooking the pool. It would have been nice to have a higher floor with better views but the room was so lovely that we were really happy. The room was absolutely massive - it is separated into bathroom, living area and bedroom. It was very simplistic and trendy in design - all very cool and new. The TV was great and had a nice feature where you could turn it into the living area. The shower was the best shower ever! It had a rainhead showerhead and another attachment too. Unfortunately, the products aren't Kiehl anymore they're Dr. Bigelow which were still lovely.

My only complaint would be that there was no tea/coffee facilities either in the room or elsewhere. I asked one day and they said that room service was the only way to get it. The minibar is expensive but we bought cokes and beers elsewhere and squeezed them into it to chill. A further suggestion to the hotel would be to put a mirror over the desk/dressing table. The feature of the free paper each morning was lovely and was much appreciated over our breakfast.

Our meal in Shang beautiful. With wine and beer it was only $105 before tips which was a bargain for the quality of the food and the standard of the restaurant.

The weather wasn't great but we ventured to the pool for one hour on our last day when it was sunny - it's lovely with great loungers but isn't heated so be warned.

The gym is fabulous - didn't use it as we were too busy enjoying New York but had lovely facilities and a sauna.

On a further note, the LES is a great area to stay in. There were plenty of great restaurants and bars (included Sugar, Russ & Daughters, Cafe Charbon) nearby and Economy Candy right around the corner.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NYAddictBelfast
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

Honestly, after reading the reviews here I was a little nervous about staying at this hotel. To me, there's nothing worse than paying a bunch of money for bad service. But I found a rate of $120/night through Quickbook and figured I could suck it up for all the money I was saving. I didn't have to! We were put in a great room on the 15th floor with a fabulous view. The floor to ceiling windows made the decently sized room feel even bigger. Seriously, by NY standards, this room was not that small. The staff was friendly and the location can't be beat. My only regret is that I didn't have time to check out the pool.

We skipped the restaurant because of all the great options surrounding the hotel and the "club" was definitely not our scene. But I honestly have no complaints about our stay.

2 Thank missteejay
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

I just completed a four-night stay at this hotel. In general, it presented good value for the money.

The problem was room noise. And, it was not the expected room noise. Surprisingly, street noise was not the problem, unlike in many NYC hotels. I was on the 6th floor and really could not hear any street noise.

BUT: The walls are like paper; any conversation in the next room could be heard in mine. When the phone next door rang, it sounded like it was ringing in my room. My neighbors kept odd hours. Neighbor conversations could be heard---loudly---at 5am and at 2am.

So, while the hotel offers good value, if you draw a neighbor that keeps odd hours, be prepared to "join" every conversation in the neighboring room.

I would not return for these reasons.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo