“great spot-give it a try!”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #158 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
DE
“great spot-give it a try!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I got a good rate on Jetsetter but was concerned about noise if I got a low floor above the bar. I called the hotel and they couldn't have been any nicer. Christine told me to book the hotel through Jetsetter and call back and she set aside a high floor room for me. My room was on the 12th floor-very quiet and spacious with a nice view. The front desk was very responsive to needs, ice arrived immediately. The location was very different for my family and we enjoyed walking around downtown and hitting Katz's Deli with no line.

Room Tip: higher floors are away from the bar Above Allen
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tenzing D, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for this amazing review. We do take pride in our fulfillment of guest expectations and proactive gestures.

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed this new neighborhood. It has a lot to offer in dining, shopping and historical and cultural points.

We hope to see you again so when you do, contact me for special promotions and I'm sure I'll be able to make your second stay as memorable as the first.

tdupatsang@sixtyhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Hebrew first
Orlando, FL
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently traveled to NYC and decided to stay in this sexy little hotel in the LES. I'm a frequent traveler to NYC and I like to try new hotels, areas and expand my experience throughout the city. The Thompson LES was an incredible find. The staff is friendly, the lobby is pretty and the overall feeling of the hotel made it welcoming. Upon arrival the door guy was quick to help and since we had takent the first flight in and our rooms weren't ready, he graciously offered to check our bags. Once checked in, the rooms were small (just as all rooms in NYC are) but they are designed in a way were you don't feel crammed. The bed is low and comfy, the walls are sleek and the shower...well, the shower is amazing. One of our rooms was located just Above Allen (the bar on the 7th floor) and at first I was worred about the sounds from the DJ at night. The music and the crowd wasn't a bother at all. Like any hotel in NYC you get street noise but nothing that kept us up at night. The other room was located a few floors up on the 11th floor. We were surprised that the room smelled of smoke. When we informed the front desk, they kindly moved the couple staying in that room. We started the night at Above Allen most of the time with a crafty cocktail at the bar. The view is breathtaking and the bartenders are nice. If you have a chance to stay at The Thompson LES, please do so - you won't be dissappointed! Until next time...cheers!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JTravels23
Tenzing D, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for this very detailed and Amazing review. You have just summarized everything that I look forward to when I come to work - an amazing staff.

We are glad that you found us on the Lower East Side and chose us for your little adventure in the city. The area has changed so much and Lower East Side (LES) has become haven for young, hip and adventurous crowd.

We are glad that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel and including the staff. This goes without saying that we have a one genuine, dedicated and perfection driven team that make experiences such yours come into light.

We look forward to welcoming you back to LES and as you said, until next time...

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really can't say enough about the experience I just had at ThompsonLES. On Friday night Jan 3rd the polar vortex made it about zero degrees in NYC. Through no fault of ThompsonLES, a pipe burst on Allen Street outside their door. Many businesses on Allen St lost heat. The Thompson lost all heat in their restaurant and second floor lobby, but snapped into action trying to make their guests comfortable and informed.

You can tell the true character of a person when the chips are down, and ThompsonLES began to shine on this night. Every time I passed through the lobby they asked whether there was anything they could do to make my stay more comfortable under the circumstances. OK, sure, any great hotel would do that. But when a package pro-actively arrived at my door later that evening as their way of thanking me for my patience, I was astonished. Very few great hotels go that far out of their way or do as generous a thing as they did. They not only made me feel special, they actually succeeded in making me feel like family. If you get a chance to stay here, please do so. There are few places--and fewer people--in the NYC hotel world that will make your stay as memorable.

Room Tip: I loved 1402, but would be willing to try anything. South side would be cool.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tenzing D, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for your Amazing review. It is with these reviews that our staff find it comforting and boost their confidence in amazing the next guest that walk through the door.

We did have an unfortunate event during your stay and it was unexpected and a first time in our five years of opening this hotel. And yes, as you mentioned several hotels and buildings in New York City experienced the same issue on that Arctic cold day.

As per your review, I take it that you will be returning to LES in the near future. Please contact me directly and I will be sure to get you a room that will rethink your admiration for RM 1402.

Until then.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a great experience at the Thompson LES.

Location is great right, walking distance to East Village and SoHo and subway is super close. Rooms were modern, hip, and tidy. Loved the floor to ceiling windows for views of downtown and midtown NYC. Bathrooms had amazing, spacious rainfall showers with great bath products as well.

Sushi restaurant on premise is top-notch.

Booked through hotel tonight and got a great rate. When we decided to stay two extra nights they honored the discounted rate still.

Will definitely stay again .

Room Tip: Book on the view top floors for great views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tenzing D, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I'm glad that you had a wonderful experience and enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.

Yes, the view is spectacular and it makes me proud that our staff was flexible and able to accommodate your extension with the same discounted rates.

We hope that your return to the city is in your calendar and would consider returning to us once again. Feel free to reach me when that day nears.

Until then,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Thompson LES is in the same genre as the Standard and Ace hotels -- modern and trendy, with a convenient location for going out and/or shopping. We were upgraded to a Studio King room, and it was spacious, comfortable, and well-designed. The Blue Ribbon bar and restaurant is hip, cozy, and delicious.

What I've noticed recently is that in addition to being a good hotel, the Thompson LES seems to have better rates than other similar hotels (especially in the Hotel Tonight app). Not sure if this is because the LES is considered less upscale than other neighborhoods, or because of the nearby construction (which didn't bother us). Regardless, if it continues to offer good rates, it will definitely be competitive with the Standard(s) for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Fundamental gaps in lobby customer service, plus issues with hallway noise, were downsides to our stay.
First, the good stuff. Hotel location is great, 2nd floor bar and staff were solid. Our room was just fine, perhaps a bit dark for our taste. Bell hops were on it.
The lobby staff seemed to lack experience in the hospitality industry, with most contact with them resulting in strange and almost comical results.
1. At check in, we arrived 75 minutes prior to the 3pm official time. We were told that the room would be ready 'momentarily'....in fact it was not ready until 3pm. Would not have been a problem, other than the choice of words. We probably would have left to do something more interesting than sitting around waiting.
2. Also during check in, I asked about running routes from the hotel. This should be a standard question, with standard answers already prepared. Instead, we were told, basically, 'I'm not much of a runner, let me ask around for any ideas...'. This was not followed up with any suggestions, unfortunately.
3. We asked the concierge about options for dinner our first night there. We were given a list of restaurants in the neighborhood, which was helpful. However, when we asked about a couple of specific places, he looked at his watch, gave a long exhale, and said, basically, 'gee, that might be hard to do'. My wife, in the room 5 minutes later, was able to book reservations at one of those places for that night. Honestly, he couldn't have at least tried?
4. Our third day there, we came back to the room in the afternoon, and the room had not yet been serviced. I called the front desk to let them know. No apology, no guidance on how long it might take. It honestly got the impression that it was me who did something wrong.
6. The club noise was not really a problem, but the hallway noise late night was insane. Not sure if this was from hotel guests, or people in the club using the stairs to reach rooms. Also since the elevators are not in alcoves, but in the middle of the hallway, I question the need for them to loudly ding upon arrival, especially late night.
5. This one might be a bit subjective.....every time we would walk through the lobby, no one working behind the desk ever looked up from their computer screens. Not once. Not that one expects country charm in New York, but it was a bit strange. Not a hello, or even eye contact.

Overall, the desk staff professionalism was completely underwhelming, especially For a hotel at this price point in the city. Perhaps the adults were off on Christmas holiday, and a reality tv show moved in for the week....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JJSloc
Paris
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were 2 adults and 2 kids and stayed in the double room. Very nice and trendy. Good beds, good TV, good bathroom.

Only one japanese restaurant at the hotel, but it was ok.

Fridge in the room but not coffee making facilities.

Reasonable price, great location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family