“Location location location!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Location location location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Fabulous location, great room with an amazing view uptown and downtown. Concierge(s) were extremely helpful for restaurants, salons etc.
Neighborhood is excellent - so much within walking distance.
Will definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Do not get a room above the club - I read this tip on TripAdvisor before booking and it paid off whe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We’re so glad you enjoyed your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

All the best,

Joe Kavanagh
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

because when you realize around 10pm that you are above a raging nightclub you will not get any sleep. I called the front desk repeatedly and they kept saying they would ask security to ask the bar to turn down the music. It never happened, They claimed they could not change my room even after repeated requests. When I called at one point I told the night supervisor to send security up to my room so they could hear how loud it was and he said he did not need to do that as he knew I was right above the bar and they were aware of loud noisy it gets. What? Why would they even "rent" these rooms to people? There are way too many great hotels in NY. There is no point in staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank NYMTS T
JoeKavanagh, Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello, NYMTS T

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We are very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations; however, your experience is certainly not a typical one at Thompson LES. We have many great rooms that are not affected by the noise from Above Allen. Next time your plans bring you to our area, please reach out to me directly, and I will personally ensure you have a wonderful experience.

All the best,

Joe Kavanagh
Director of Rooms
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Thompson LES has a lot of positives; a location in an interesting area of New York (LES), the reputation of the Thompson brand, and a decent level of design. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by the negatives as below.

First, the staff at the property were unimpressive. They were generally unfriendly, and not particularly helpful. For example, on arriving I asked for directions to a noted nearby restaurant (WD~50 with one Michelin star) and the receptionist, after saying she had no idea about the local area, could not figure out how to even provide directions using Google Maps. There was nobody to open my cab door anytime I pulled up outside the hotel and generally the staff seemed uninterested. There were one or two exceptions, but their general demeanour was sour.

Second, the hotel does have a tired feel. While there are some solid design elements, the bathrooms for example, the standard room I stayed in had many nicks on the furniture with a thin wood veneer that did not look high quality. It was also quite small at this price point, even by New York standards. The upgraded room I received later on (read below) was spacious enough to feel like you were receiving value for what you paid.

Third, and this would be the critical factor for my stay, was the fact I was in a room which was directly above their night club. I was never informed about this, but quickly realized the fact when I woke up to a highly interruptive bass beat at 3 AM on a Saturday. I understand New York is noisy, but this was ridiculous. The manager offered to upgrade me at that point, which I did, but that was the least they could do. It was not particularly convenient to change rooms at 3 AM and no other compensation or acknowledgement was provided. Beware and always ask if your room is near Above Allen!

Overall, the Thompson seems to float more by its name and reputation than the quality on offer for a boutique at this price point. I could understand a 3.5 star with a minimum level of service like this, smaller rooms, and less than inspired furnishings, but hardly this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night club on the 7th floor An upgrade to a Studio Suite is well worth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank RZSTO
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel has a very good location at the lower east side, around one can find many shops and restaurants and be a little away from the crowd of times square area. The staff was nice, check-in and check-out were fast and easy. The room was good and spacious, and even being on the same floor as the bar I couldn´t hear a thing. Two things I didn´t like: the blackout let some light in that was right into my eyes in bed; and the air conditioning that didn´t provide a steady temperature, but it was blowing air once in a while, again hitting me in the face while in bed, which caused me to feel unconfortable with the wind and feel hot and cold throughout the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Efrago
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

A very NY style hotel.
We stay one week in agoust 2011, a couple with 3 years old boy.
We love the location,lower east side,no turistic place.
Walk distance from cool boutiques ,restaurant and bars.
There is a small pool on terrace.
We don't like the breakfast and generally the food,but it's pleanty of small and nice restaurant on the street.
At the end We enjoy our stay at the hotel and We reccomand ,if you want a different place in a nice area.

Room Tip: A suite in higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Alwaysinvacation
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Thompson during fashion week and I feel in love with the hotel and the surrounding area. I usually stay in midtown and I had a great time exploring the lower east side. There a tons of great boutiques and restaurants.

I loved my room - it had a small balcony and a giant soaking tub. In fact, the bathroom was excellent - I love when the shower and toilet are separated. The bed and linens were relaxing. I would say my only complaint was not having coffee in the hotel. But I did enjoy getting out and exploring the little local coffee shops (a cute little one on the corner).

I'm looking forward to my next trip to the Thompson.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sweetladyjane_8
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can't say that I have tremendous experience with hotel stays during natural disasters, but the level of professionalism, ingenuity and sheer kindness that the staff at Thompson LES showed during Hurricane Sandy was truly awe-inspiring.

We had already been there several days before the storm hit, and they were always very communicative about being prepared in all manner of scenarios.

When the power went out on Monday night, a very calm voice explained over the PA system exactly what was going on, what services will be available and how best to connect with the staff. We were also invited down to the second floor bar, where it seemed much of the guests congregated, and played card games and drank by candle light. And they even left a bottle of Makers Mark for us as the crowd began to ween.

The next morning, we headed back down to the second floor (there was one elevator working, thank heavens) where the gregarious chef was greeting people and directing them to the complimentary breakfast that they had waiting for everyone. They even had soy milk, which this particular lactose intolerant soul very much appreciated. The staff also ran a long extension cord to their limited generator power to run a TV set in the lounge so everyone could stay informed.

Disasters are a great test of one's true colors, and the staff at the Thompson LES pass with, and I hate cliches, flying colors. They remained ever-calm, ever-courteous and ever-helpful. They may not have been able to control the weather or the power, but they made this traveller feel as home as one could possibly imagine.

And for that, I will be forever grateful.

See you soon, I'm sure.