“It's not that bad people”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #319 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“It's not that bad people”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

I do not think this is the greatest hotel in the world but for 3 nights it isn't that bad if you don't hole up in the room. The rooms are small but if you get out and explore the city most of the day and night who really cares.
The staff was friendly and the lobby and bars had a good vibe. I got a great massage at Bliss one morning as well.
It's all what you make it.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Millzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 2, 2007

The worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Booked four nights, stayed only for one. I have stayed at nicer Motel 6's and they did not cost $512 per night. Upon arrival, we were not asked if we needed help with our bags, instead they were taken out of the taxi and brought into the lobby and the attendant stood there waiting for the tip. The lobby was noisy and dark. Paid extra for the "mega room" which was certainly not large, but I would not have minded small if it was clean and in good working order. Here are the things wrong with the room:

*Carpet was filthy and stained
*Safe was completely broken and unusable
*Bathroom outlet did not work at all (neither plug)
*Dust ruffle on bed was torn and hanging on floor
*Roman shade on window was torn
*Chair frayed on both arms
*Desk covered with drink rings
*No lightbulb in lamp (called front desk for lightbulb, they said they would send one, never came)
*Grate on air conditioning vent sticking up in dangerous condition
*No thermostat control, air conditioning was on or off, no other choice
*The room was very dark (probably to hide its deplorable condition)

The room was disgusting and the staff arrogant. Could not bear to stay there for four nights. On the first night, after dinner, around midnight, we walked around the corner to 50th Street and saw the San Carlos Hotel sign which I remembered getting good reviews on Trip Advisor, walked in and booked a room for our remaining three nights. W Hotel staff did not seem surprised when we returned that night and said we would be checking out in the morning. San Carlos Hotel was wonderful and saved our trip - see separate review on that one.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank ducs

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

st paul mn
Reviewed July 2, 2007

What most impressed me with the W New York was the aromatherapy smells everywhere. It may sound silly but that was a highlight. Otherwise its a cool hotel --I had a junior suite so the room size was just fine --and it was comfortable.
Charging for internet and morning coffee ( only available in the lobby) seems like a way to soak the rich --but I guess if they can afford the W they don't mind. Service was good and I enjoyed my time --only wish I could have gotten a seat in the lobby for a cocktail --it was completely crowded. Its a young affluent crowd but fun to watch

• Liked — ambience
  • Disliked — crowded lobby
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank loveslife
South Canaan, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2007

What a disappointment. I had a deal for a Fantastic Suite room for 249 a night - velvet couch, marble top bar... From the description on the web site I thought I was in the wrong room and I asked the manager to come up. The carpets were disgusting, the couch was a dirty burlap and the "bar" was a small wooden table. The manager assured me I was in the right room and said the burlap couch was what they call velvet. I told her I know I had a deal but was not happy in this room and have been in regularly price 249/night rooms in NYC and they were much nicer. I was offered an upgrade the next day to a Spa room. I took it because it was nicer and cleaner. Two things happened - after I left the water out of the whirlpool there was dirt all over. Either I was very dirty or there was something wrong with the jets. The second thing was a worker came in to deliver a magazine after two knocks as I stood there in a state of undress. (The deadbolt is engaged by moving the entire handle upward - something I hadn't figured out at the time.) The security laughed when I told him what happened and said there was nothing he could do. Bottom line - I won't stay here again.

• Disliked — dirt, security
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank shay26m
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 27, 2007

My $400 per night hotel room reminded me of my college dorm room...only smaller. My room came complete with a broken chair and dvd player. The pathetic european shower even reminded me of the jail house shower stalls you'll find in every college dorm.

The Whiskey Blue bar downstairs was pretty hip though. We saw Peyton Manning and fam hanging out and enjoying some cocktails.

Do not stay here. There has to be better value in this part of Manhattan..

• Liked — Nothing other than the location
  • Disliked — Tiny rooms, damaged furniture
  • Stayed June 2007
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 25, 2007

The lousy reviews on this hotel may be overstating its short-comings. Yes, the rooms are small, but this is New York. If you're concerned about room size, then spend a little extra to get the 200 sq ft room instead of the 180 sq ft. That extra bit may make all the difference.

The hotel lobby and bar is a real urban hipster "scene" which is either a big plus or a big drag, depending on your preference. Check-in was hectic but surprisingly speedy. The concierge did direct us to an enjoyable bistro nearby and made reservations for us, albeit with just a little bit more attitude than we would have preferred.

The rooms were well-appointed and featured the over-hyped heavenly bed. Yes, they're comfortable. No, they won't change the course of history. The bathrooms were small but efficient. Adjustable rain shower heads were most welcome. Our room had a shower only, which was just fine. Other reviewers have complained that "water splashes everywhere" which only led us to wonder what they were trying to do in the shower that made such mess.

Pet owners will find plenty of hospitality, including a "doggie room service" menu.

• Liked — Location and room details
  • Disliked — No wi-fi internet (must use a network cable and pay a surcharge to connect)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 14, 2007

This hotel is a very trendy boutique hotel which is lovely to stay in. The rooms are quite small which makes having 2 suitcases in the room a bit of an issue. They are very comfortable.

Staff and service is excellent. Hotel bar is lovely and does some fantastic cocktails.

Equally the hotel restaurant where we had breakfast had a brilliant menu to cater to everyone's tastes.

• Liked — The Bliss products in the bathroom.
  • Disliked — The rooms are a bit pokey.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business