“Good Location, Teeny Tiny Room” 4 of 5 bubbles

W New York
Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aliso Viejo, California
“Good Location, Teeny Tiny Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

Flew into New York last Friday night on a mileage run, and picked the W New York because it was the closest Starwood property to a restaurant I was meeting a friend at the next morning for brunch. I'm typically a fan of W Hotels, having stayed at many of their properties throughout the United States. W Hotels trade on its hipster atmosphere, and modern designs. Even knowing that, I was still a bit surprised by the W New York.

After a $40 cab ride from LaGuardia, I walked into the lobby (at 10:30 p.m. on a Friday night), and was immediately pelted by the din of an endless sea of people. The lobby and lounge area, and the Whiskey Blue Bar, are apparently where lots and lots of New Yorkers hang out on a Friday night. It was really, really noisy and crowded. Coming off a long day of flying, it wasn't particularly relaxing. However, check-in was very efficient, and I was up at my room on the 14th floor within minutes.

The room surprised me as well. Despite being upgraded (as a Starwood elite), I still was shocked as to how small the room was. It seemed about half the size of a non-New York W Hotel room. The bathroom was no better. A pedestal sink was too oversized, and the toilet was sandwiched between the pedestal sink and the tub/shower. It was a bit uncomfortable. The bed was your typical W bed--very comfortable and soothing.

However, what made up for the hotel room was the W New York's location. (If you read my prior reviews, you'll see how important location is to me.) It's about 3 to 4 blocks easy walk to the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station and Park Avenue. A little bit farther to the UN. And, if you're cabbing it over to Hell's Kitchen (where I was meeting my friend), you pass through Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza and Radio City. Subway stop is a couple blocks away as well.

Would I stay at the W New York again? Perhaps, depending on where I needed to be in New York. It meets the typical W Hotel standards (service, room quality), but as other reviewers have stated, the rooms are shockingly small. Price-wise ($220/night), it was a little pricey, too. But, in the end, the hotel's location made up for that.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have been staying at this W hotel location for business and personal travel since 2003. The service is always very pleasant, some rooms are small, but the space is efficient and well laid out, and the recent remodel looks great. The doormen are the best- fast, professioinal and always super nice!

1 Thank denastokes
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Like others have noted the rooms are small but that's what we expected in NY. We had such amazing person assist us in our stay. The most impressionable employee was Lisa "Montana"! She was so friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. She went above and beyond the employee job description. She knew us by name and introduced us to other staff should we need assistance when she wasn't working. She made such an amazing impression that we have told all our friends we arrived home. Because of her insight we were able to maneuver throughout NY with ease and no intrepedation. We hopped on & off buses, subways and was able to see all the sights we wanted on our trip. I hope all can have the same experience we did during our stay! Thank you so much "Montana"!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holsteincows
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I had planned a night out with my sisters so we booked this hotel, asked for 3 beds..... I walked into the room and there was 2 twin size beds.. I haven't seen a twin size bed since room at my parents house when I was 10 years old. But as always the room was clean, neat and super cool. I called the front to ask them if they can help me with my dilemma. I told them there was 3 of us staying and there was not even room on the floor. He told me how this was a hotel that is usually meant for 2 guests, but thank goodness he was able to move me to a king bed room which was rather large with tons of floor space. Club downstairs looked super cool but we decided to go out elsewhere. Loved it here!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank SoloSpaGirl
Northfield, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Enjoyed my stay there, but for the money .. I'll look elsewhere next time. Room had no view and was cramped. But everything was clean and the ambiance was excellent. Great staff and lots of little touches. In all, glad I stayed there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

This W was in the PERFECT location business-wise. It's in close proximity to Grand Central and there are plenty of restaurants in the restaurant. I'm staying here for a month and am definitley happy with my decision. Everyone talks about how the small the rooms are, but given my long-term stay, I was able to get a nice sized room that was very spacious.

I also have to say the service here was AMAZING!! Everyone was very polite and extremely helpful, form the front desk to the restaurant staff. One young lady, Yeshaira R., was the most pleasant person and extermely understanding.

Definitely a must visit! :-)

Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Hi All,

I recently stayed at the W on Lexington, mainly for business... As a whole, the experience was fantastic! I was a bit hesitant after reading the reviews, but found a very clean, stylish, prefectly located hotel.
The staff were more than pleasent, always similing and willing to help, since i had a long stay i was bumped for a bigger room. The room was beautiful (although a bit dark), spacious, great design and style. Most comfortable bed i ever slept on. Really.
The restaurant in the lobby ("Blue... something...") has really good Pancakes.

I had a great time in the W, and will definetely reccomend it to friends!