“Hellhole in Manhattan”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orange County, CA
“Hellhole in Manhattan”
Reviewed January 2, 2006

***DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I THOUGHT THE OTHER REVIEWERS WERE EXAGGERATING, BUT TI'S ALL TRUE** My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this New Year's weekend. The relaxing, hip, luxurious lobby is VERY deceiving compared to what the hotel rooms look like. Let me just say from the moment we checked in to this Motel it was nothing but problems. The beds are NOT heavenly, the AC knocks every 2 seconds to remind you its on, the walls are peeling, the carpet is beyond repair, and so on... The size of the rooms are beyond tiny (there are tons of NY hotel rooms that are standard sized.. you dont have to sacrifice... try the Sofitel) If I took the time to list out all of my complaints of this hotel and its staff, it would take me all day. They are totally not worth my time. This Motel is a disgrace to the Westin/W/Starwood name. And the attitude of the staff is comparable to any low quality greasy spoon hamburger stand. To pay nearly $400 a night for this is robbery. Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

5 Thank caljl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 2, 2006

I stayed at the W New York for 4 nights after Christmas 2005. The hotel itself (or what I saw of it) was pretty nice, I thought. Not super hip, but definitely nice and comfy. The trouble is that place is just not managed properly. I booked a king bed room online, but when I showed up they gave me a queen. (Call and confirm!) I had to go to the trouble of printing out my reservation ($4.50 to use their computers!) to straighten it out, which I had no time to do for 2 days. Meantime, my girlfriend got bedbug bites from the queen they gave us! They did eventually compensate us for all that, though -- $100 towards the restaurant and room service. (Though even that was sort of a pain to get out of them.) The king room we finally got was excellent -- spacious, and with a proper tub. (I recommend the king rooms over the queens at all costs.) The place could be terrific if it were managed properly.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2006

Have just returned from a 4 night stay at the W New York (Lexington Avenue) over new year.

I've repeatedly been disappointed by New York Boutique hotels (Paramount/Royalton) and the W Hotel New York really just reiterated the experience.

I stayed in a large, upper floor 'Spectacular' Room.

Good Points

- Great Location
- Funky and vibrant lobby and bar
- Bliss Spa and Gym (only opened in 2005)

Bad Points

- Room was far from spectacular - whilst size was large for New York (Small anywhere else) it was other wise disappointing :-

- Room Level Environment was worn and tired (frayed carpets, worn wall paper and pictures in corridors
- Corridors strewn with used room service trays
- Room itself was worn and dated - chipped paint work, frayed carpet, dated design (think trendy hotel c.1991)
- Spectacular Bed was tired and mattress was broken - had to change rooms
- A/C in both rooms was uncontrollable and very noisy
- Window in second room didn't close properly resulting in lots for Street Noise
- Micro Wardrobe
- Micro Bathroom - really tiny even for a NYC hotel
- Multiple charges for very expensive room service

From a staff perspective - nearly all were friendly/helpful - but this hotel needs a total renovation. Does not deliver a $500/night experience - stay elsewhere as Lexington is lined with hotels.

2 Thank Trilaf
Boston
Reviewed December 29, 2005

On Dec 28th to 29th I stayed at the W New York in room 659. Upon arrival I was told I was upgraded to a "spectacular room". I was late for dinner reservations so quickly dropped my things off and went to dinner. Later that night I returned to the room and upon further inspection found the following problems - a hold in the wall in the bathroom, a significant tear in the rug by the bed, an unsightly area around the heating/air conditioning unit, and really, in general, just an awful room. Given the late hour I had neither the patience nor the energy to head down to the front desk to complain and figured I'd discuss the problems at check out in the morning. Wow, was I wrong. At check out I explained that I have stayed at Starwood properties for over 130 nights this year and that I was wondering if there was any sort of discount or points allotment that I could receive for my less than spectacular room. I was told by the front desk attendant that there was nothing that could be done. I find this appalling. The basic rooms at the Sheraton Chapel Hill which I stay at for business are much nicer than the room I unfortunately received at the W New York. This was by far the worst Starwood stay I've ever experienced!

8 Thank teaseicu
USA
Reviewed December 19, 2005

Stay somewhere else! My fiance thought he was being super hip when he planned to stay at the W for my 30th birthday. After a long flight we were disturbed at the site of our miniature "room" on the spa floor. They were suppossedly the newest but the floor smelled bad and there was constant noise from all the cleaning, etc. The spa was a constant slap in the face b/c they don't block out appointments for hotel guest so there was no hope of getting a much needed massage after attempting to sleep in our miniature bed.
Tiny Room
We booked a king but got a full-almost queen bed that we couldn't walk around without hitting a wall. We couldn't even open our luggage b/c the room was so small. The last night they upgraded us to the slightly larger room that we had booked but only because we had a bazillion "points" from staying at other W's. Some loyalty.
Mini Bathroom
The bathroom was slightly larger than what you would find on a train. No ledge/counter for toiletries. The trendy cheap shower head sprayed out of the shower and could not be turned. The shower also did not drain properly. So we stood in dirty water while we showered.
Bad Service
Minimal conveniences. It took me days to get a hair dryer which should have already been in the room.
I was awoken at 1 AM on my birthday by a man trying to deliver blankets and sheets that I hadn't ordered. Housekeeping called back 30 minutes later to argue that I had indeed ordered them.
Incompetent Staff
Door men didn't have a clue about city geography. They couldn't give directions to intersections that were just a few blocks away.They weren't great a cab grabbing either.

They do have a nice workout facility but the bottom line is this is a joke of a hotel.

Stay somewhere else!

8 Thank huxn
New York City
Reviewed December 19, 2005

I have stayed at W hotels before, I have stayed at "no-tell" motels before. I cannot decide which is worse. This was BY FAR not a 4 star hotel. Our room was an absolute utter disgace. It was approximately 80 square feet. BEWARE if you are over 5'9" and need to sit on the toilet. My husband injured his knees when they hit the wall (I'm not kidding) as he was sitting down. We requested to be moved, but the hotel was at full capacity (were all of the other guests complaining I wonder?) and we could not be moved. To boot, they double-charged our bar tab to the room. All I can say is thank G-d we only stayed for 1 night. We had an entire day planned the day of our departure that we opted to cancel because we needed to check out of this hellhole at 7am on a Sunday. I have never felt so claustrophobic in my entire life. There are soooo many other great hotels in this city. DO NOT stay here.

6 Thank Annie1128
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2005

I really like this hotel. I have to admit that many of the concerns of previous reviewers are accurate. The rooms are small, the staff is curt. But I think they miss the point. This is a midtown hotel in a great location with everything you could hope for in the City.

Maybe I’m just a sucker, but when I returned from demanding meetings, the peaceful and calming atmosphere was a real comfort. I wouldn’t have predicted it, but this place feels like an oasis in the middle of a chaotic city.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business