“Trendy and Tiny.”

W New York
Ranked #328 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 10, 2005

If you're looking to stay in a trendy hotel and don't mind a tiny room this hotel would work well for you. I stayed at this hotel with my husband in early June 2005. Its trendiness peaked about five years ago so it's now filled with normal (read not snobby) customers and the front desk clerks have unfrozen. Some nice perks were uber-comfortable bed, Bliss products given as your in-room toiletries (which are awesome!), Bliss Spa on site and an unpretentious lobby bar that is a nice place to have drinks. I forgot to mention the Bliss Shop in the lobby that sells fabulous accessories, shoes, jewelry which is open until midnight Friday & Saturday (poor sales associates). Some not nice perks were that our iron was broken (but replaced when asked), a TINY closet, the air conditioner didn't work well enough and my husband and I joked that we had to make appointments to be where we wanted in the room so we wouldn't get in each other's way. We had one trolley each and mine had to sit on the luggage rack in the middle of the room which was a bit annoying. There is big L-shaped desk that takes up too much room and blocks the full length mirror and the tv/mini bar stand is too big for the room as well. There was a comfy chair, however, in the corner. I suppose my suggestion to the hotel designers would be to ditch the tv/mini bar combination and halve the desk so the customers have more room to move around. The hotel provides an issue of "Gotham" magazine which is cool - very upscale, niche magazine focused on Manhattan. We booked this room through Hotwire and received a fair price of $199/night. I would not stay at this hotel for full price but I felt our price was decent value for money. Well located for subway and lots of good shopping within walking distance. Friends of ours were in a separate room and they reported that their air conditioner worked absolutely fine but their iron was broken as well (they had to call twice for a new one). The taxi queue grew quite large on a rainy evening so do yourself a favor, walk North one block and hail one before it reaches the hotel. All in all, a decent hotel. It was clean, quiet and well located but try not to pay more than $199/night or you might be disappointed in your value for money.

6  Thank IHeartTravelling2011

Reviewed July 10, 2005

I stayed in February for the Cristo exhibition in Central Park. I got the deal from Starwood's website - 189 and as such, was not expecting the most elegant room in the place.

However, having stayed at Ws in other cities - including two others in NYC, I was expecting at least the minimum W experience - small, but clean room, big comfy bed, premium bathroom supplies, etc.

The W New York is a good -but not great hotel. It's dated as a W, and the room seemed unfinished and less than the level I would have expected - noisy AC unit, spots on the carpet, etc. The bed was old (banana shaped) and the sheets were not the ones used in Westin's Heavenly bed.

All in all - not bad, but not great. Try staying up the road at the W Times Square - even with the deficiencies, the "show" you get from the that hotel in terms of decoration and the clientele makes it worth it.

Stayed: February 2005
7  Thank Duane G
Reviewed July 10, 2005

My fiancee and I stayed for a few days over the holiday weekend. From all the reviews I was scared about what to expect, but it was actually really nice. Yeah the rooms were small but that's just New York. The elevators were also very small. But for the location and how nice the staff was, it was well worth it. We even got room service one night, a little on the pricy side but well worth it. I know I might stay there again, at least if I get the discounted rate with the W stay package.

4  Thank gregfromnj
Reviewed July 9, 2005

If you can get a deal on this hotel, it's not a bad choice. You'll feel like you're staying in the hotel because you got a deal, though. This hotel is much the worse for wear, especially when compared to the other Ws in town or in other cities. Beneath the veneer of decade-old hipness, it's clear this was a renovation of a much older hotel. Not much attention was put into details -- an air conditioning unit that looks and sounds like it belongs in a cheap Motel 6 from the mid-'80s was simply covered up with a box. The lighting's terrible, and the bulb in the flimsy lamp on our desk didn't work.

While it's true the rooms are quite small, they are not as small as in other hotels in the city, like the Hudson. There's space to unfold a small carry-on rollaway on the floor but nothing larger.

Having a shower rather than a bathtub is very disappointing when it's clear the bathroom's big enough for a simple tub. The one shelf in the bathroom was fixed at a slant, so nothing stayed on it. Bliss products are nice, but what's the point unless you can bathe with them?

The location's okay, but for tourists interested in the Times Square scene it's a bit out of the way (on the other hand, being well away from Times Square can be a good thing).

1  Thank OffTheBeatenPath
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Having stayed at Ws in other locations (Los Angeles, San Fran) I was expecting a great hotel- upon arrival the lobby did not disappoint (trendy nice atmosphere with fruit and lemonade for guests) but from the elevator up, boy what a shocker- the elevators barely fit two couples with luggage and at one point in the visit, two of the four elevators were not working so waiting on a ride down to the lobby from the 11th floor took a while. As many others have said in in their reviews, the room was shockingly small with the comfortable queen bed taking up most of the space. While we weren't in the room very much, several of the television stations (even though it was one cable) had static/snow. I enjoyed the bliss products but was disappointed to only have a shower stall and no bathtub- The concierge was very nice making reservations for dinner and pointing out nearby spots. Location wise it was nice being away from the total hustle and bustle of the Times Square area but not too far away that we couldn't walk to some of the tourist spots- I'd stay again as long as it was a Hotwire deal only but can't imagine the disppointment I would have had if I had paid $200+ a night for the room!!

2  Thank pathgirladpi
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Stayed 1 night here this past week. Nice hotel, good location, staff was very pleasant all around.

As to be expected, the drinks and food at the hotel restaurants/bars are very expensive - but good (but, this is New York City). The rooms are pretty small, often dark, with some wierd lighting as mentioned in some previous posts. (It seems that they did what they could with an older building and limited space.) The carpets and other stuff seem a bit worn - maybe some more upkeep? Bathrooms are very small - but they do have the nice Bliss spa products. Elevators are very small too - so if you are bringing your luggage upstairs, it might be tough.

As w/the W's, they have the great comfortable beds. So that is a plus! We got a good deal for the hotel which included parking - $189/night. If you pay less than $200/night, then I would stay here.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank TC1
Reviewed July 5, 2005

I chose this hotel since it was right across the street from the Marriott Eastside, where we had a free room for the night. When I checked several weeks in advance, the W was booked. But, when I checked a week before the trip, more rooms opened up, which was good. Unfortunately, we had already booked at another hotel and were issued a cancellation charge when we booked with the W instead.

I thought the hotel was in a great location. The lobby was very nice and relaxing. While some people don't like the nightclub vibe and music, I thought it only added to the hotel. The front desk staff were efficient and courteous. We had one of the least expensive rooms on a high floor, but it had a good view and was just big enough for two people. Although, there was not much room to lay out luggage. The furnishings were very cool and the bathroom was very nice. We especially liked the Bliss products. When I was at the Bliss spa, I saw the same travel kit runs for about $20 if you purchase it there.

The bed was pretty comfortable too. And, the elevators ran pretty quickly without being too crowded.

All in all, I would stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank Lisa B