5,548 results
All reviews bliss products bliss spa whiskey blue new york lexington ave cozy room rooms are small waldorf astoria lobby bar times square central park room size rockefeller center few blocks subway station nyc concierge
Selected filters
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is a classic W hotel with the modern feel and the upscale vibe. Most of the lobby area is consumed by the lobby bar; which, being a person that enjoys common spaces, (particularly when the rooms are small) didn't find it too attractive. This was the last SPG hotel that had a room when I went to book; which should give you insight into this hotels popularity. My room was appointed in classic W style (again more of the hip/darker lighting) with amazing beds (high quality sleep!) but it was small. Additionally, if you are a person that likes the room super dark, note that the window shades are the kind that leave just a bit of light all the way around, so if you want a truly blacked out room you will need to select a different hotel. Additionally, the piping in the building was exceptionally loud so you could hear a lot of water running (flushes, showers, etc.)

I ordered room service for breakfast and by Manhattan standards it was reasonable (37). The omelet was tasty but the breakfast potatoes might be the best I have ever had (seriously, I may consider staying here again just so I can order them!).

Most of the hotels I have stayed at nearby would get the nod over this W property. My favorite is the Waldorf across the street (huge rooms, old luxury) which is generally comparable on price. I would also go a few blocks away to the Grand Hyatt as well. Not a bad place to stay but generally I think you can probably do better.

Room tip: I am pretty sure they only have small rooms. So just get ready for that!
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank ILikeCheckingBags
GMAnnaM, General Manager at The Maxwell New York City, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Hello ILikeCheckingBags,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad to see your enthusiasm for our breakfast potatoes. I’ll be sure to pass your compliments to our Chef! I must apologize, however, for the noise disturbances you encountered and any inconveniences you experienced from our window shade design. For future reference, we do offer guest a complimentary “call it a night” kit that has an eye mask and ear plugs to help those light sleepers rest comfortably. Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Should you be returning, please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Well as an avid traveler I was expecting a little bit more from the Original W, but anyway they were goods and wrongs, I wouldn't complain about rooms seize its NYC!!

Goods:

1. Good location from my point of view you can reach easily many points in manhattan and its on Lexington so easy to hail a cab 24hs a day
2. Concierge guy (Don't remember his name) but he was amazing really going beyond and above to help us
3. Room was clean and for NYC we could move around…

Wrongs

1. Cleaning lady, she was trying to clean our room since 7am, all time asking at some point was quite intimidating
2. Check in process it took us like 20 minutes to get the room and the bell guys outside wasn't helpful at all
3. Price Quality, had the feeling that its kinda overpriced from what it is, nothing special about the property
4. Bar downstairs wasn't inviting at all, service there was slow and rude

Room tip: If you like to stay away from noise Lexington, request rooms away from the elevators and those facing the property inside (Quietness over View was my choice)
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hello Alejandro,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and choosing to stay with us during your recent trip. While I’m glad to hear about your great experience with our Concierge, I am sorry that we fell short in some areas. Your comments will be helpful for both our Style and Welcome Office teams in helping improve our guest experience. Your feedback about the bar is concerning, and I’d like to hear more about your interaction so my Beverage & Food team can follow-up. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I travel to NYC almost every month for work, sometimes twice in one month and have stayed all over Manhattan. This hotel is a great location for tourists and business travelers. I loved the workout room which is large for a hotel in NYC. The staff at the hotel is friendly. Everyone appeared happy to be there. I enjoyed relaxing in the living room area after meetings or while waiting for my car to pick me up for my return trip to the airport. The only thing that annoys me and this is just one of my pet peeves is that the rooms don't have coffee makers. I like my coffee first thing in the morning but hate to have to talk to someone in order to get it. I once stayed at a hotel that would let you order it the night before and would leave it at your door at a designated time. I wish all hotels that don't provide coffee makers in the room did this. I don't know if I would stay there again because of my weird hang up with wanting easy access to coffee without having to talk to someone or leave the room. The rooms are very nice and comfortable and of course the beds are great. The place would be a 5 if the rooms were a tad bigger and had a coffee maker in there.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Hello LizzChicago,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our FIT facilities and our newly renovated Living Room. It must have been nice to be able to unwind after work. We do have complimentary coffee makers available for guests upon request, and I’m sorry that you were not informed of that earlier. I know how important coffee is for a person’s morning ritual. We’d be more than happy to provide you with a coffee maker for your next stay. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your post. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel is very modern and stylish. younger crowd as evidenced by guard checking room keys to be sure that people going upstairs were actually staying in the rooms and not partying. Rooms as with most of NY are very small. Lighting was dim in the rooms although by design. Had an issue with the cleanliness of the bathroom. Management did address is, however hated that we has to ask. They did offer us complementary breakfast which was nice. I prefer a quieter hotel.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimM895

Hello Kim,

Thanks for your review. I’m very disappointed to hear about the cleanliness of your WC. This issue should have been addressed before you arrived, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Our Style team will be following up on your concerns immediately. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next visit.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Booked a Sat nite at this hotel at a AAA rate of ~$230. Stayed in a Spectacular Room, had a good night's stay and would consider staying here again if it's just the mrs. & I but not if our child comes along (as she did on this visit).

Room
---
Like most Ws, quite modest in size yet stylish, with an excellent bed. This room was compact, with little room around the bed to maneuver. The bed was super comfy. The BA was in good shape, w/the usual Bliss toiletries and plenty of of towels.

---
We didn't require much on the way of service from the hotel. We checked bags with the bellman as the room wasn't ready when we arrived (early, before checkin time) and valeted our car. The people we interacted were fine -- a bit aloof, as has been our experience in many trendy NY hotels, but not rude.

Hotel facilities
---
I used the gym for a workout and we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The gym was surprisingly large, with a good selection of equipment in very good shape. Chilled towels and cold water was readily available. Dinner was fine. Simple offerings but fairly priced & the service was very friendly.

The location is good, for our needs anyway. Only 1-2 blocks from a stop for the 6 subway line, which we used multiple times to get uptown & back.

Misc
---
This hotel is primarily geared to business travelers or the typical W client (singles and childless couples). I think it would work fine w/older children, w/kids 9-10 and above, but the rooms are very snug, so it could be tough maneuvering with 3 adult-size people in a room.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Hello CantabCambridge_MA,

Thank you for your detailed review on your most recent stay with us! It sounds like you had a productive trip. I’m glad you had the opportunity to visit our FIT facilities and HeartBeat restaurant in between your outings in the city. We do offer a variety of rooms for our guests, and we can help you find a room that would best fit your needs. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you find yourself planning another trip down to New York. We would be happy to welcome you and your family back any time. Thanks again for the post!