“Another midtown NYC hotel” 4 of 5 stars

W New York
Ranked #311 of 475 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
São Paulo
“Another midtown NYC hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel has the W standard of quality, but it is totally not worth the price. The rooms are just like in any other midtown hotel: tiny. The staff in the hotel was not particularly nice - they did not make an effort to accommodate any of our requests.
Location is the main thing about this hotel: it's very close to everything on the Upper West Side and Midtown.

Room Tip: Do not book the basic rooms - they are so small, you can barely walk around!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MariaPSG
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size and the unfriendly service you received. As we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience, I’d like to hear more about your interactions with our talent so that I can share your comments with my team and address your concerns immediately. Please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your post. I look forward to hearing from you soon.– Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've stayed at a reasonably good sampling of SPG properties around the country, and a few Ws. This one doesn't match brand expectations.....

I'll say this - the personal follow up from the GM was appreciated, but somewhat missed the point. I was pleased to be checked in early for a wedding and told the front desk that I didn't really care where in the hotel I was. Good thing - the upgraded room looked into a service alley of sorts. If you're not from NYC, you'll want to ask questions about where you are if view is important.

My big beef was the AC situation. It was on some sort of motion detector and turned off when I was out of the room for a few hours - came back to a very warm room to attempt to fall asleep in. The AC was LOUD - and one can easily hear other units thundering on and off.

The AC then went off while I was sleeping - leaving me to wake up in a puddle.

When I went to check out, the front desk was not honoring the SPG line - and admittedly was overwhelmed by the traffic at 11:30 on a Sunday morning.

I got a decent rate, and the location is awesome.....just come with expectations well calibrated.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank PHXJeremy
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for your comments. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the air conditioning unit in your guestroom and at check-out. I am sorry that you were not informed beforehand that our air conditioning units are motion-censored and that the noise from the unit prevented you from resting comfortably. I have shared your comments with my team so they can take a closer look at these issues and rectify immediately. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to NYC. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

All of the W's in NYC have their own personality.

This W is not set in as happening neighborhood as say the W times square or the W Union square but it does have its strong points.

The lobby bar is cool along with the living room (the lounge found off the lobby of all W's) as well as the bar :Whiskey Blue...This is one of the best hotel bar scenes in NYC.
The rooms need a little work. Some need tile work in the bathrooms and some caulking. Overall the room experience is good. I would take suite level category only as the rooms for $239.00 are small.

The staff is excellent and very friendly/helpful. What you would expect from a W.

So in closing, you really cant go wrong with the W new York for a reasonably cost effective stay in NYC. It does not compare to Union Square but it is a very safe bet.

Enjoy.

Room Tip: suites on 8th and 9th floors are best deal.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your post. While I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated Living Room and your interactions with our talent, I must apologize for the condition of the WC in your guestroom. I will share your comments with my team so they can address your concerns immediately. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next trip. We hope to welcome you back again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We recently spent 5 nights at the W Hotel on Lexington Ave. We did not pick this hotel as we were staying with some friends and they had already booked it. Having read the reviews we were a little apprehensive but overall we very much enjoyed our stay.

We had an upgraded room on the 10th floor and the room was comfortable and clean, just what I want from a hotel room. True the bathroom was a bit on the small side but you do not spend your time on holiday in the bathroom unless you are very unlucky!

The staff we meet all were excellent especially the housekeeper we met at the lifts who gave us bottled water for free and wished us a good day.

The bar in the lobby was a bit expensive but what hotel bar isn't.

Would stay again if we needed to be in this area of New York

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to research our hotel before your visit and for sharing your comments with our online community. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a great experience with our talent. I am excited to share your comments with my team as a reminder of the memorable service we aim to provide! Thanks again for your review. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next stay. We hope to see you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I literally laughed out loud when I got to my room. Thankfully, I traveled alone and didn't check a bag for the weekend trip. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had room to get to the bathroom. The bed was already pushed up against the window with a scenic view of the alley. It is in a central location with a cool bar. Much better to stay somewhere else and come here to party.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PVB_32082_11
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for your post. I am glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Oasis Bar and Whiskey Blue; however, please accept my apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size. I have shared your comments with my team so they may take a closer look at your concerns. Thanks again for your review. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next trip to New York. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Frequenting NYC more than 20 times over the last year for both buisness and pleasure and having stayed in 4+ star hotels, the W New York wins the prize.
Not only has the hotel undergone renovation and have visibly improved in all areas, its excellence lies in its outstanding hands on manager Anna, whom provides an open channel of communication and strives to make ones stay more comfortable, enjoyable and to feel your home away from home!
The staff are excellent from the door men to the smiling receptionist and freindly house keeping.
When one's stay is long, they offer a free upgrade to a better room category and extend other compliments. Bliss products in WC is lovley!
The hotel has a modern youthful feeling, the lobby is great, in-room dining is fantasti although as to be expected a little pricey.
Overall its the staff that makes a hotel shine and at the W New York they surley shine bright!

- Yazeed

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Yazeed, thanks so much for your gracious words! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found our talent to be helpful and friendly. I’m so excited to share your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit. Thanks again for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you back to W New York soon! – Anna M., General Manager
chicago, illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed here two weeks in a row recently and had negative experiences both times.

Lines at check in, tiny rooms where you can hear the people next door even when they are talking quietly, elevators are slow or not functioning. Basic amenities from other W's are missing here, like coffee for free in the lobby etc.

Experience from this past stay alone included the following... Checked in and was told that I was upgraded to a corner room... which actually turned out to be a "Cozy" room which is the smallest hotel room i have ever seen.

The room had only been partially cleaned, there were tweezers and hair left on the sink from the prior guest. The Air Conditioning was not working, placed an order for room service and woke up the next morning to find it had not been delivered.

I am platinum/ambassador with SPG so i sent an email to my ambassador lady who responded immediately. I asked if i could get my room moved to anything a little bigger and she said the front desk would call me directly.

Needless to say nothing happened till i got back to the hotel later that night. The hotel moved me to a queen size room but gave me heavy attitude about it.

i decided not to take my chances with the hang tag the next morning for room service and called down directly to place an order before i went to bed... That did not arrive either.

Feels like there is something seriously wrong with the basic operations of this hotel and would recommend avoiding it till they get it fixed.

On the upside the gym is good especially for a hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank willfchicago
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the lack of attention to your concerns and your overall poor experience during your recent visit with us. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest level of service and to hear we have fallen short of that goal is something we take very seriously. I have shared your comments with my team so that we can look closer at these issues and address immediately. Thank you again for your post. Should you decide to return again, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that I can oversee your visit. We hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager