“Very Modern but Dark and noisy”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #319 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland Ohio
“Very Modern but Dark and noisy”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've not stayed often in W hotels. Its very suave and modern appealing to the hip crowd. Staff was great. always friendly and helpful. they let me check in early. The room was smallish but OK for NYC. Bed comfortable, lighting good, bath clean and linens great. The hallways and elevators are dark and dreary. Outside my hotel room was a massive construction project that went on day and night. Jack hammers, saws, trucks. you name it and it went on 24 hours/ day. Get a room as high up as you can or wait until they finish this project. I found it hard to sleep with all the racket all the time.

Room Tip: get as high as possible to avoid all the noise going on next door
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for your post. I’m pleased to hear that you found our talent to be friendly and accommodating; however, please accept my apologies for the noise disturbances that you experienced during your stay with us. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise. I have shared your comments with my team so that we can look into your concerns. Thanks again for your feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next visit. We hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were always small here; they've removed the long chaise so to room feels bigger but is just less functional, no where to sit but the bed or desk. The florescent lighting above the wall art and in the closet are awful - cast a harsh, greenish light. Carpets are worn and bathrooms / closet bring a new meaning to the word small! Restaurant is great and bar/lounge area are newer, comfortable and great menus.

Service was average, concierge is great ...front desk staff is busier with heads down constantly on paperwork versus looking to serve guests. Mini bars in rooms are well stocked but auto system charges just to pull up the bag and check the date or flavor so watch the bill!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for your review and kind comments about our Concierge team, Heartbeat Restaurant, and Oasis Lounge. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size and design. I have shared your comments with my team so that they may take a closer look at these issues. Thanks again for your feedback. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you are planning your next visit to New York. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 10, 2014

the w hotel is not super accessible compared to others but some of the subway stations are a block or two away. i'm pretty satisfied with the place and i love that the toiletries are bliss products. but if i remember correctly, i don't know if my room was completely prepared when i got there because the toiletries were used up and i had to request for new ones including slippers. the room is a bit cramped, i travelled solo so that was not an issue.

Room Tip: make sure your room is not handicap accessible because the bathroom would be different.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your most recent W experience. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment with your guestroom size and the condition of the Bliss toiletries in your WC upon your arrival. I have shared your comments with my team so that we may address your concerns immediately. Thanks again for your review. Should you find yourself planning another trip to New York, please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. We hope to see you again soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I too was overcharged at this hotel. My husband and I stayed there May 30 to June 01- we had booked through SPG - an employee found us a great rate, but to take advantage of the rate we had to prepay for the hotel room. Upon arrival I was thanked for my on going patronage- I have been at Gold level with SPG for several years- and told they had provided me with a complementary upgrade. I enquired about internet rates and was told it was free of charge. The morning we checked out we were shocked to discover that our reservation had been changed(at the hotel level)- now instead the amount we had prepaid for our two nights stay was applied to the bill as a credit or "deposit" against our stay- we were charged in excess of $200.00 in additional room fees/taxes and charged for two days of internet use. My customer service experience has been hell trying to fix this. i have requested that SPG pull the original calls when the reservations were made- but it is obvious this was never done. I will never- ever recommend this hotel- and W and SPG may want to distance themselves from this property based on similar experiences I have since read on this site. I would also recommend that upon receipt of your booking confirmation e-mail you print the document as opposed to saving it- SPG or the hotel can make changes to the confirmation information! I was such an advocate for this points program- I am now afraid to ever book a stay at another SPG property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us about your recent experience. Please accept our apologies for the billing error and the inconveniences that you have experienced while trying to address this issue. This is certainly not the W experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com as I would like to ensure that your concerns are addressed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I look forward to hearing from you. – Anna M., General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a quick weekend stay and it got the job done. Our platinum status awarded us a room upgrade upon arrival, which was much appreciated since most NYC hotel rooms are tiny!

I love that the W has Bliss amenities - that alone will keep me coming back. One suggestion would be if they could offer the "make it a green choice" option that other Starwood properties offer?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChiTownTraveler27
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Wow! Thanks for your review. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and the WC Bliss amenities. I am looking forward to sharing your comments with our team. For future reference, none of the Starwood properties in New York City offer the Make A Green Choice program. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit to New York. Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon at W New York! – Anna M., General Manager
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My Girlfriend and i stayed at the W Hotel in Lexington Ave from 25th - 29th May.

Please don't get the wrong idea. New York City is a fantastic place to go. I would recommend it to everyone. The hotels location is also superb. Its not as noisy as maybe Times Square, but is walkable to everything.
One recommend would definitely be Evergreen Diner on 47th street. This is a 10 minute walk away. A proper American diner and a great place for breakfast.
My review is solely based on The W hotel and their appalling rooms, administration system and after stay service. They shouldn't call it a luxury hotel, because it is not!!

We pre -paid online which included a room upgrade before we arrived. Upon checking in, we were immediately offered 3 choices of upgrade to a better room for an additional cost. I found this a bit strange.We decided to take a look at our room and didn't even bother unpacking. It was tiny!!!!
Bearing in mind i had paid for an upgrade already, god knows how small a basic room is.
We decided to upgrade AGAIN, which cost us an additional $10 per night and were shown to a corner room. This was extremely average, but better than the first one.
We literally only slept at the hotel and we had a wonderful time in New York. There is so much to do, you're hardly in your hotel anyway.

Upon checking out, the receptionist handed me an invoice which had a zero balance. I asked if there was anything extra to pay and she said no. We assumed that as we had already upgraded initially, there was no charge. I did not sign for anything at all when i checked out.

The problems started as soon as i got home. The Hotel had charged me full price for the second room, effectively double charging me, as i had already pre - paid for the first room we were shown.
You would think that such a bad error would be sorted out immediately wouldn't you?, but no.
I have so far rang 3 times and emailed twice to see what they are doing about it. They have admitted the fault, and said they are refunding the money.

According to my last email from them, this could take up to 30 days. I'm sorry but this is not good enough. I knew my bank balance would take a hit going to New York, but as they have taken this additional amount out, it has caused me a huge amount of problem. It has meant that it looks likely that i will get bank charges for paying bills late, through absolutely no fault of my own.
There has been no real apology for this error, apparently looking at an earlier reviews it has happened before. Surely in this day and age of being able to pay online immediately, the hotel should have made sure the funds transfer happened straight away.

Moral of my review. Go to New York, it is wonderful. Stay at this location, it is perfect. DO NOT STAY AT THE W HOTEL, LEXINGTON AVE. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bruce H
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the billing error. I understand that you have already been in contact with someone from my team, and please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 8, 2014

it was great to come back , see the new Lobby , which was under constructions last time.
the nice surprise of complementary upgrade , only added to smooth Check-in process.
the room was very nice , clean and welcoming.
whole in whole , i was very happy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Amichai B
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for your review and your loyalty. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and the service our talent provided. I will share your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best. Before your next visit, please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to W New York again soon! – Anna M., General Manager