“Good location, friendly staff”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #318 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We had a quick weekend stay and it got the job done. Our platinum status awarded us a room upgrade upon arrival, which was much appreciated since most NYC hotel rooms are tiny!

I love that the W has Bliss amenities - that alone will keep me coming back. One suggestion would be if they could offer the "make it a green choice" option that other Starwood properties offer?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChiTownTraveler27
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Wow! Thanks for your review. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and the WC Bliss amenities. I am looking forward to sharing your comments with our team. For future reference, none of the Starwood properties in New York City offer the Make A Green Choice program. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com before your next visit to New York. Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon at W New York! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My Girlfriend and i stayed at the W Hotel in Lexington Ave from 25th - 29th May.

Please don't get the wrong idea. New York City is a fantastic place to go. I would recommend it to everyone. The hotels location is also superb. Its not as noisy as maybe Times Square, but is walkable to everything.
One recommend would definitely be Evergreen Diner on 47th street. This is a 10 minute walk away. A proper American diner and a great place for breakfast.
My review is solely based on The W hotel and their appalling rooms, administration system and after stay service. They shouldn't call it a luxury hotel, because it is not!!

We pre -paid online which included a room upgrade before we arrived. Upon checking in, we were immediately offered 3 choices of upgrade to a better room for an additional cost. I found this a bit strange.We decided to take a look at our room and didn't even bother unpacking. It was tiny!!!!
Bearing in mind i had paid for an upgrade already, god knows how small a basic room is.
We decided to upgrade AGAIN, which cost us an additional $10 per night and were shown to a corner room. This was extremely average, but better than the first one.
We literally only slept at the hotel and we had a wonderful time in New York. There is so much to do, you're hardly in your hotel anyway.

Upon checking out, the receptionist handed me an invoice which had a zero balance. I asked if there was anything extra to pay and she said no. We assumed that as we had already upgraded initially, there was no charge. I did not sign for anything at all when i checked out.

The problems started as soon as i got home. The Hotel had charged me full price for the second room, effectively double charging me, as i had already pre - paid for the first room we were shown.
You would think that such a bad error would be sorted out immediately wouldn't you?, but no.
I have so far rang 3 times and emailed twice to see what they are doing about it. They have admitted the fault, and said they are refunding the money.

According to my last email from them, this could take up to 30 days. I'm sorry but this is not good enough. I knew my bank balance would take a hit going to New York, but as they have taken this additional amount out, it has caused me a huge amount of problem. It has meant that it looks likely that i will get bank charges for paying bills late, through absolutely no fault of my own.
There has been no real apology for this error, apparently looking at an earlier reviews it has happened before. Surely in this day and age of being able to pay online immediately, the hotel should have made sure the funds transfer happened straight away.

Moral of my review. Go to New York, it is wonderful. Stay at this location, it is perfect. DO NOT STAY AT THE W HOTEL, LEXINGTON AVE. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bruce H
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the billing error. I understand that you have already been in contact with someone from my team, and please feel free to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you have any further concerns. Thanks again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 8, 2014

it was great to come back , see the new Lobby , which was under constructions last time.
the nice surprise of complementary upgrade , only added to smooth Check-in process.
the room was very nice , clean and welcoming.
whole in whole , i was very happy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Amichai B
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for your review and your loyalty. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and the service our talent provided. I will share your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best. Before your next visit, please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to W New York again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Will update this review after our visit to the hotel but before even arriving the staff have really went out of their way to make sure that our visit to New York will be unforgettable. I have booked a trip to New York as a special surprise for my boyfriends 21st Birthday. The staff have helped me find restaurants and help narrow down the many attractions of New York so we can fit all we want to do and see in our visit. Special thanks to Evelyn, for recommending some great restaurants and attractions, and David who has kindly helped with our room and helped to arrange birthday surprises for my boyfriend. Cannot wait to stay in the hotel if this is the service before we have even arrived. Thank you so much- Megan Frail

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Wow! Thanks for your review. I’m delighted that you chose us to celebrate your boyfriend’s birthday and that David and Evelyn have been helpful in planning the celebration. I’m excited to share your comments with the team as a reminder of what we do best! If you need any further assistance before your stay, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your boyfriend to W New York soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Long Ditton, Surrey.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights at The W Hotel on Lexington Avenue. Everything about it characterises why I don't like W Hotels. Small, dingy, no class, no style, not friendly and way too expensive. Time someone took them over.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cholomley
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for your post. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment with the size and décor of your guestroom and your overall poor experience. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest level of service and to hear we have fallen short of that goal is something we take very seriously. Should you decide to return, please write to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so I may oversee your W experience. Thanks again for your feedback. – Anna M., General Manager
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Love the W chain! They make the experience a fashion statement and when in New York, that's a huge part of experiencing the city. Would recommend this to couples, especially. They won my heart and I'll continue to book with them when travelling elsewhere too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeruniD
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for your great review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and have fallen in love with the W Brand! When you are planning your next visit to New York, please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks for your post. We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
UK
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here half a dozen times, it's a typical NYC hotel, small rooms, tiny bathrooms, views of other tall buildings, very average in house restaurant.

But, the staff are mostly friendly and efficient. The lobby bar staff are especially good and the lobby has just been renovated so it's a nice place to have an after work beer and snacks.

The Blue Whiskey lounge bar is a zoo and pricey but after a few aperitifs who cares eh...

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your interactions with our talent and had the chance to enjoy our newly renovated Living Room. I will be sure to share your comments with my team. Before your next stay, please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thanks again for your review and your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager