“Great service but Tiny Rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles

W New York
Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Yonkers, NY
“Great service but Tiny Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed one night in a Fantastic Suite because my husband's company was hosting an event in the hotel. I saw that the basic rooms are 150 sq' so wanted more space; suite was only 450 with low ceilings - OK but still very small with view of parking lot lifts and it only had a double bed, which is the first double I've ever seen in a suite. Mattress could've been better. Keep in mind that this is midtown Manhattan (most expensive real estate in the country) so most hotels in midtown have small rooms. The bliss products were great. Hotel staff was excellent and very helpful; since spa was booked they arranged a great in room massage. Also enjoyed Whiskey Blue for small bites and drinks. I think this hotel is probably a better choice for business than leisure given location, but again, since its midtown, it's walkable to a lot of attractions.

Room Tip: For a decent view, you'd need a room higher than the 7th floor where is where mine was - it look...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. My apologies for any disappointment in the size of your guestroom, and I am thrilled that you enjoyed our WOW service, Bliss amenities, and Whiskey Blue lounge. I have already shared your message with the rest of my team, and do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had to attend an event at the Waldorf Astoria. Upon searching for a hotel for the weekend we found the "W" which is across the street from the rear entrance to the Waldorf. Our room was perfect and the location was wonderful. Next time in NY I'll be happy to stay at the "W". The room was of decent size too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a pleasure to read your review! We are happy you enjoyed our convenient location and W style of your guestroom. I can assure you that your kinds words will be shared with the rest of the W team. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return back, as we’d love to welcome you back! Thank you again for your great feedback. – Anna M., General Manager
Mountainside, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W Hotel on Lexington Ave for our anniversary. When I booked the room I mentioned this and forgot all about it. Management surprised us with sending up a bottle of champagne and a bowl of strawberries!!
The room was clean, roomy for NY and it had great Bliss products in the bathroom!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your post. It’s always great to see when my team WOWs our guests, especially for such a momentous occasion. Your gracious comments will be shared with the entire team as a reminder of what we do best! Please write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we can’t wait to welcome you back! – Anna M., General Manager
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I really benefited from the concierge staff. Their knowledgable recommendations where great everytime, and resulted in some of the best moments in my trip to New York. I felt that they really customized their recommendations to what I was looking for, and were not just naming a set list of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience, and our wonderful Concierge team was able to accommodate your requests. Please feel free to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return trip. Again, thank you for your excellent feedback, and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I realize that we could have worse problems in the life than staying at a W hotel in NYC. That said, if you are a W fan and a hotel lover in general, you will be disappointed with this property. It falls very short of the W and Starwood Brand's reputation for both quality and service.

My rate: $429/night.

The problem with this property is that the rooms are incredibly small. When I checked in, I asked if I'd be in a room with a king bed. The thought being, that the other alternative is a double. Well, the gentlemen said, there were no Kings available and he had, "a quiet room on the 9th floor" for me. Okay, here is where they get you. And, remember I'm paying $429/night. I was not placed in a double room which would have been spacious. They have rooms with one "Queen" bed. These rooms are TINY. And, when I say TINY, I'm not exaggerating. At all. They are TINY closets with a appears to be a twin bed. I don't care if they call them Queens. They look so small. I didn't stay long enough to measure. The room is beyond claustrophobic not only because of the size, but rooms this small have no view. So, it's either facing a wall to the next bldg or a very small inner courtroom. No light. No View. Can't breathe. Trust me. You don't want to stay in this room. It's not Tokyo. It's not a youth hostel. It's a W Hotel for $429/night. They could do better.

Remember, reception told me there were no Kings available. I complained to SPG (Starwood) who called the hotel for me. Once I did that, they magically found a larger room with a king bed.

I did get a letter from the Hotel's GM, apologizing for my dissatisfaction for the room. And, then condescendingly suggested I book online next time, so that I could see what the rooms looked like in advance. I think we can all agree that photos aren't always representative of what you'll actually get. She also congratulated herself and the team for what a great job they did at responding to my disappointment. Yes. Great job. However, I'd like my excellent experience to start at check in, not only after I complain.

OTHER NOTES: ASK the front desk if there's any construction going on. I was surprised at 8am to hear loud banging and rustling around outside my door. They were working on another room. When I opened the door to see what was going on. Housekeeping said, "Oh we have a letter about the construction." Ok. A letter after the fact doesn't really give me my sleep back, does it?

Another thing I noticed is that house keeping gets started VERY early and they are VERY loud. Even with my do not disturb sign on, I could hear every conversation that was happening in the hallway with the housekeeping staff. Terribly annoying.

Overall it's just not worth staying here. Yes, there's a W on the sign out front, but the experience is just not what you'll expect. Trust me on this one. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew S
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent W New York experience. We cannot even begin to explain how disappointed we were to read your review detailing the dissatisfaction you experienced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and allowing us the opportunity to remedy your concerns. – Anna M. General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited NY this month and had great time hotel helped us with everything. concierge desk is the best. David and Marco know it all . You ask them anything they know. They helped me to arrange my spa treatments at Allure day spa , they do the best massages and facials . Next time we'll only stay here and use this guys for help and definitely us Allure Day Spa to relax,we don't have this kind of cervices at home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elissa F
Thank you for your kind words! I am happy your enjoyed your W experience, and I have already shared your message with David, Marco, and the entire Whatever/Whenever team as a reminder of what we do best! Please do not hesitate to e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is the one of the best hotels I have stayed on - service perfect, rooms are so nice and clean, with lovely soft colours.
The hotel are located central, 5 min from Central Station, 10 min from 5th Avd. and Central park, 2 min to the metro.
The service are excellent, the staff are very friendly and kind - I will highly recomendent this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for at room with view to Lexington Avd. very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank josefinecopenhagen
Thank you for your review! It is always nice to see when our guests enjoy our convenient location and signature WOW service. I will certainly share this information with the rest of my team, and please feel free to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan a return trip. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager