“Good bit keep tabs on your purchases...”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #328 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Great location, friendly staff but can be dishonest. They tried sticking me with parking twice for the same day. I paid the tab on my credit card $65.00/day! (It's NY so I guess it's alright), then at check out they added that same day and two other days. I got into a shouting grudge match with the front desk receptionist who basically told me that I was lying. Once I showed my proof of payment he laid back. Surreal.

I can't say that my whole stay was negative...the whiskey blue bar and then in hotel bar are great..,interesting place to meet friendly people from all over the US...

Just be aware...keep your receipts and closely read your bill, item per item!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Superfinicky
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the miscommunication regarding your Wheels charge, and any unfriendliness that was encountered. I can assure you that this behavior is not typical of W, and please do not hesitate to share further feedback by e-mailing me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify these concerns immediately. Thank you again, and I hope we can welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over new year of 2012.

It's in a perfect location, opposite the Waldorf Astoria, and walking distance to all the main attractions - 5th Ave, Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, etc.

The rooms are small but you don't need anything bigger in NYC!

The bed was comfy and the room was clean and decorated great.

We were on the 10th floor and had a great view of the city.

The hotel also offers the 'Accora' service, which is a driver service which will take you anywhere in the city free of charge. We used it one night to get to STK in the meat packing district and felt like we arrived in style! Book in advance when you arrive to guarantee.

Great cocktails in the hotel lobby bar too.

We would definitely return to The W again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly E

Thank you for your post! It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your W experience, and had an opportunity to take advantage of our Acura Service, as well as the Oasis Living Room Bar. I have already shared your message with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what we do best! When you plan to return, please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com. Thank you again, and we cannot wait to welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W Hotel New York for the second time within the year for his birthday celebration in early August and just loved it. As usual, the hotel lobby and bar was alive and fun to relax/have a cocktail in and the front desk and cleaning staff were very friendly every time we walked through the lobby of the corridors of the hotel. The room was clean and the bath products were, as always, to die for. And of course, who doesn't love the W Bed. It is WONDERFUL. The hotel concierge, David, helped me to surprise my husband with a few special treats throughout the weekend which we thoroughly enjoyed and I was happy to have help with. As well, we were having trouble getting a reservation at a restaurant we really wanted to try and the hotel was able to get us a table without a problem. The Acura experience was a bonus as well, but just make sure to book in advance. Finally, the bag checking system on our last day was easy and seamless! We will return again and again. In fact, I'm going back in September to share the W Hotel Midtown experience with my Mom. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CodyNDansTrips

Thank you so much for sharing on Trip Advisor, and for choosing W New York to celebrate your husband’s birthday! I have shared your kind words with David and the rest of the team, and can’t wait to welcome you back in September. Please reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com prior to your return with any special requests. Again, thank you, and we will see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed at the "W" for a long weekend and was very pleased with the hotel, staff and room. As someone who lived in the city for seven years and is back as a visitor, maybe I have more realistic expectations for room size and noise levels. We got a nice rate and were upgraded from a cozy queen to a king room due to our Starwood membership. (Seems like everyone is a Starwood member, so those that are expecting celebrity treatment for their plastic card might be disappointed.) The room was small, but functional and we were able to host eight people for drinks after dinner one night, so that says something. Good use of space. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and we had no problem with noise even though we were on the sixth floor facing Lexington. Yes, you could hear traffic, but it, and the sounds from the adjoining room were well muffled. The only complaint I would have about the W are the constant blaring of techno music in the lobby and elevator. In their effort to stay "hip" and relevant, the W is on the edge of becoming passé, and downright annoying. After the third day of pounding techno beats on the elevator, I was wishing I had a baseball bat and access to the sound system. Another problem was that we came back from dinner as a group wanting to enjoy a glass of wine in the bar. Not one offering for under $12 a glass, and the offerings were mediocre. I know this is New York, but there is a fine line between paying for atmosphere and getting ripped off. The W crosses the line. Actually, the atmosphere in the room with two bottles of wine purchased at the corner liquor store was far superior.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the size and W comfort of your guestroom. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment in the noise level and prices at our Oasis Living Room Bar, and I will certainly share this feedback with my team. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you soon. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The W New York is in an excellent location and it suited my business travel needs. The lobby is modern and inviting. The rooms were nice and the bed was comfortable. I arrived around 1pm and was able to check-in early, which is always a plus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your great feedback! It’s always great to see when our guests enjoy our convenient location, and I am glad that we were able to honor your request for an early check-in. I have already shared these comments with the rest of my team, and do not hesitate to write me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you, and we hope to welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked two rooms for a family of six and although they were not exactly the rooms we thought we were getting the staff delivered a rollaway bed to each within minutes of us requesting them. The hotel was wonderfully situated for us - we were on a weeks holiday from London. We found the staff pleasant and helpful - we were always asking for directions etc! The only thing I hated was the "Munchbox". We had been warned by someone about the fact that you only have to lift an item up and it is charged to your account so my kids had all been warned not to touch it. But it's hardly a box - it's more like a mini shop counter; lots of tempting treats on display in your room. Is it really necessary to have this so "in your face"? And having each item on some sort of sensor makes it seem like a booby trap! Being British, we would rather have had that amount of room space used for tea and coffee making facilities! But on the whole we had a great trip to New York and enjoyed staying at the W!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, and please accept my apologies for the inconveniences regarding your munchie box. I will certainly address this with my team, and for future reference, we will be more than happy to remove your munchies box upon request. Again, thank you, and please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you plan to return. – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel from 7/28 - 8/2. We are long term Starwood members and have enjoyed our stays at other W hotels. Unfortunately, we will have to say we are quite disappointed by this experience.
Pros: Great location. Price reasonable for NYC. Upgrade to a double Q bed was nice.
Cons:
Mildew on shower curtain.
False fire alarm at 3am! Followed by announcements over speakphone. Forget about sleeping after that.
Air conditioning was LOUD.
One day we got a note under the door saying there was an "emergency" and restaurant and housekeeping service will not be available. Said coffee will be offered at lobby to compensate. Come on? Coffee? Isn't that a bit petty?
Paid $15 per day for internet in our room but signal was not always working. When we called, the lady over the phone bluntly said " wifi has been down, ok!" I was shocked by her tone telling me that wifi was down, and that's it. No apology.
We asked housekeeping to remove all snack bar items first day we arrived. On last day, we were charged for every single item! Took front desk forever to remove all those charges from our bill. Looked like he had to manually remove every single line. That was a pain.

Room Tip: don't expect this to be your typical W Hotel