“Stylish stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Stylish stay”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Stylish hotel. Rooms are a little small, but such is NYC. Great coffee at the bar in the morning. Clearly a business crowd midweek. The lobby and bar area are basically one and the same, and it was packed every evening.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank dquinby
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent W New York experience on Trip Advisor. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed Oasis lounge within the W New York. It provides easy options for guests on the go! Looking forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Excelent treatment miss Mónica López at The front desk Is The best! She gave us The best place for going dinner and she made our check in very pleasant, she always had a very Big smile on her face, she gave us The best tips about most interesting places

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. Your review is much appreciated and clearly shows us that your escape with us was a memorable one! Your feedback gives us a great chance to celebrate with our Talent team members, and we will not neglect to put Monica in the spotlight! We look forward to seeing you again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here after my wife came to sing at Lincoln Center. The hotel is friendly.good prices,great location,great service. Rooms are roomy,clean and look over the greatest city in the world. We didn't want to leave the next morning. They even held our bags for us after we checked out so we could sightsee around the city.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 18th floor over looking 42nd Street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for writing on Trip Advisor! I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and for such a special occasion! We look forward to hosting you and your wife again soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Over the course of the last two weeks I have stayed at this property twice (total of eight nights) and both times have been less than wonderful. I travel frequently (usually once a week) and am not an overly picky person but this hotel has disappointed both time. The thoughts on my stays starting with arrival through departure:

Arrival: Both times arrived fairly late at night. Lobby is filled with thumping techo music and I could barely hear the person at the desk. No need for the music to be this loud well past midnight. On the second visit it took at least 10 minutes to get through the line that consisted of one person in front of me. There appears to be no place for SPG Preferred Guests to check in. A bit annoying at 1:00 am.

Rooms: Both times I was upgraded to I believe it was called a "wonderful" room. Was not sure what was so wonderful. The rooms were quite small, tiny desk I could barely work at, terrible lighting, and dingy bathrooms. Basically, tired rooms that are in need of updating. In additional to the A/C units in both rooms were quite loud and made sleeping difficult. Lastly, only one room had an iPod dock and then it did not work. Turns out I had to pull out the furniture and connect everything. So again, not sure what is so wonderful about these rooms.

Service: While the service was fine on the first visit on the second it was pretty poor. At one point the TV was not working very well so I called "Whatever Whenever", but it was more like "Where Are You" as no one answered. I tried several times and finally had to go down to the desk. Again, endured the thumping techo music and explained that a) the TV was not working properly and b) there appeared to be no information in the room on the channels which were available. I was told the TV might not be working because of the rain (really?) but if I wanted they could send someone up. Also, they would send up a little book with all the room information including a list of channels. 35 minutes later someone shows up to fix the TV (not great results) and then another 15 minutes later (so 50 minutes after I asked) someone shows up with a book that has a list of the TV channels available. Finally, when it came time to check out there were a number of people at the desk and a number of guests hovering around. It was impossible to tell if anyone was being served. Again, it goes back to the point of no dedicated line for SPG Preferred Guests. So I ended up just dropping my key behind the desk and leaving.

All in all two rather disappointing stays. I will not stay here again and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is overpriced and the rooms are in need of updating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent W New York experience on Trip Advisor. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to share them with my team for immediate follow-up. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I thank you for taking the time to write. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me on your next stay with us as I would be more than happy to extend a complimentary upgrade. Thank you again for sharing on Trip Advisor. – Anna M., General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We recently booked a night here at the end of a trip to NYC. The hotel has a very good midtown location (Depending on your needs in town). The rooms are a little on the tight side, but well designed. The beds were among the best I've ever had in a hotel (if you like a mattress on the firmer side).

There was a bit of a scene with a DJ when we got back to the hotel (on a Sunday night). It might have been off putting, but the staff did a good job of steering the regular hotel guests through the crowd.

We had a great deal from the internet for the hotel. I'm not sure that I would shell out a ton for the room (a relative concept in Manhattan), but for what we paid, it was a great value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank C F
Thanks for taking the time to share on Trip Advisor! We are ideally situated in Manhattan and I’m delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our location. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our guest rooms as well as our signature W bed! We look forward to welcoming you back for another trip to NYC! – Anna M., General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was booked for me through my employer for the MLB Allstar game week. The first thing I noticed was the awesome front desk staff after being well greeting by the doorman. Once inside the room, it was exactly what I expected from a NYC hotel. The only negative I have about the room was the soft bed. The location was close to everything although off the main strip of Park ave.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent W New York experience on Trip Advisor! Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. We look forward to seeing you again next season! – Anna M., General Manager
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at the W on Lexington Avenue during a recent holiday in New York. I found nothing at all to criticise here, from the moment we arrived all of the staff were very friendly and efficient. We had to queue for a short while to check in, but while standing waiting we were offered a glass of champagne which I thought was a really nice touch.
As other reviewers have mentioned, our room was very small, we had booked to stay in a 'Wonderful' room which I understand is a little bigger than the 'Cozy' rooms but there was still very little space. The room was right next to the lifts as well, which made things a little noisy. New York does have a reputation for small hotel rooms though and I don't think this is necessarily a problem, we were mostly out and about anyway so it didn't need to be the lap of luxury. The Bliss toiletries provided are absolutely amazing! We asked for a coffee machine for the room and this was provided free of charge, although it took nearly an hour to arrive and on subsequent mornings the machine was left in the room but we weren't left more coffee to use with it, service wise there was definitely a bit of room for improvement here.
Location wise this hotel is perfect, it is a short walk to Grand Central Station and not much further to Times Square. There is a subway stop very close by as well. We did have a bit of trouble getting a taxi from the hotel when checking out, the doorman could not convince anyone to take us, to the point where we were a bit worried about reaching the airport on time! This may be unusual, however I'd make sure to allow a bit more time if relying on this method of transport in future.
Despite some minor issues I found this to be a really nice hotel, and I would definitely be happy to stay here again on a return visit to New York.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor! I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with our friendly and efficient staff. Your feedback gives us a wonderful chance to celebrate with our Talent team members! We look forward to welcoming you back to W New York again soon! – Anna M., General Manager