“Loooooove this hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Loooooove this hotel!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Funky, modern, young at heart....and that's just the lobby!

Room are a tad on the small side but hey....who goes to NYC to stay in their hotel room all day? NOT ME!

Whiskey Blues Bar has a great atmosphere, slightly expensive but it's NYC so you gotta roll with it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your W experience, and were able to take advantage of our Whiskey Blue Lounge. I have already shared your comments with the entire W New York team as a reminder of what we do best. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we can’t wait to welcome you back! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the lobby is nice, everyone very kind, a great partnership with Acura but, for the price you are paying, I believe there are a couple of things you are not expecting:
- Rooms are very small (at least the one where I stayed on the 6th floor)
- Only shower and no bathtub
- No curtains so I'm not sure if other people can see through the window or not

GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your post, Nuno. My apologies for any disappointment in the size of your assigned guestroom. For future reference, W offers many room types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests, and I sincerely regret if you were not informed of this. I will certainly share your feedback regarding the missing curtains with my management team so that we can rectify this immediately. Do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you wish to provide further feedback. Thank again, and we hope we can welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed in our share of W hotels - we have been platinum SPG members for 7 years - and this one is particularly poor.
We appreciate that when we checked in we were given an upgrade in recognition of out platinum status and we were greeted by a charming guy on reception. We noticed some guests being given champagne upon arrival - clearly our SPG loyalty status wasn't enough as we weren't !!

Our room was small but functional - hey its NYC I didn't expect much more. It was only after we had completely unpacked we discovered that the internet cable didn't work. (We have a small router that we like to use in hotels to take advantage of the higher speed internet and it also means we can use both our iPhones and computers without the restriction of the 3 device maximum. ) A replacement cable was sent to the room which didn't work and we were also connected to the internet support people who couldn't help. An engineer came but was unable to solve the problem. It was suggested we change rooms. We changed rooms and the whole process took about 2 hours including unpacking, repacking and unpacking......

The next morning morning I wanted to leave the hotel for the day, I put our belongings into the safe only to discover it didn't work. A very nice man called Robert from security came to the room and said that the safe needed to be changed. The safe was changed. When I went to use the new safe I discovered it didn't work either. I had been able to lock it but not unlock it....
I called down to reception and Robert returned and after quite some bashing managed to get it to open. He asked for the safe to be changed again which it was. The whole process was not only very irritating but time consuming. I really wanted to get out of the room as I had quite a bit to do and had it not been for Roberts cheerful friendly attitude I would have been in a very bad mood indeed.
On a better note the breakfast in the bar area of the lobby is excellent, the choice is great with fresh fruit, pastries and smoothie drinks and I was met by a friendly smile there at breakfast this morning and the guy who looks after the Acura service was also very helpful and tried to accommodate us with our request even thought because of our timing we weren't successful.

I don't expect to come to New York and stay in a W Hotel and have to spend time in my room waiting for the basic facilities to be fixed or replaced.
I would expect that these things are checked regularly and fixed promptly when necessary, (which was clearly not the case with the internet cable which was hanging out of the wall from a broken socket) ...surely if only to save all the time of taking the calls, listening to guests complain and re-arranging rooms....

The room assistants / cleaning girls were very friendly and chatty whenever met them and there were always abundant toiletries and clean towels. Why is it that none of the sheets fit the bed properly. They don't tuck under the mattress properly as there isn't enough fabric ( and the mattress protectors don't fit either, making having a morning coffee in bed quite and uncomfortable experience. Also there were definitely areas of our room that were screaming out to be cleaned. The insides of the windows were so dirty you could write your name on them and there were clothing tags behind the trash bin from the previous tenants and anything that couldn't be reached with a standard upright vacuum cleaner was clearly never touched. The vents covering the heaters were filthy.

We did note complaints to the manager during our stay and she was apologetic and said she would address them however we wouldn't stay at this hotel again unless there were no other options.

1 Thank An_Expat_Wife

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

san francisco
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We arrived early on the day of check-in. The hotel has bell service where we left our luggage. The hotel called us when the room is available. We were able to check-in around 12pm. We thought the service was awesome up till this point. Got our room keys, went up there and saw the room was right next to the elevator. From reading reviews from our Tripadvisor users, this room is expected to be loud because of all the traffic from the elevator. We are very light sleepers so we went back to the front desk to the same staff to request a different room specified that we need a more quiet room and away from the elevator. Not sure if this was on purpose or not but the staff gave us a even louder room. We got a room right next to the house keeper room and the stairs. We didn't noticed until we heard constantly door opening and closing. Not only that the room was next to so many traffics, our bathroom was mess up too. The toilet paper holder was on the floor when we arrived and the shower curtain wasn't blocking the water. The floor was so wet after shower. The same staff from the front desk called us about the toilet paper holder shortly after we got to our room but when we mentioned about the shower curtain, she said it is like that for all rooms.... (which we found out not true). We were so tired and was going to just take a nap but there was so many traffics that I started to counting how many times the door opens. It was driving me crazy so I called the front desk again to request for another room change expressing our frustration that we requested a more quiet room and got a room in the middle of stairs and housekeeper room (I didn't noticed until looking at the map on the door). We spoke to the manager on duty and she corrected this immediately. We got our new room. The room was great. It was clean, toilet paper holder is attached to the wall, the shower curtain is working perfectly (no water on the floor anymore!), away from the elevator and quiet. This was the most frustrating hotel experience ever. Not sure if we will stay at this W again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank simple_happy
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment in the location of your assigned guestroom, and the styling of your second room. I can assure you that we take our guest feedback seriously, and I will share this with the rest of my management team. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope we can welcome you back. – Anna M., General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a great one night stay at the W hotel. We were given a glass of champagne upon check-in and agent was super friendly and fun. Since my partner is a platinum with Starwood we were given the best room they had free for the night (Saturday night) which was a corner room on the 15th floor. We had drinks at the downstairs bar and the bartenders were very friendly and the drinks were amazing (Which they should be for $17 a drink). We were given a late check out of 4pm (due to status) and we used the Acura car service to take us back to Penn station which was a very nice touch to the end of our stay. All and all I would stay here again for sure!

1 Thank FirstClAAssflyer
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
What a pleasure to read your review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience and were able to enjoy our Oasis Living Room Bar and Acura service! I will most certainly share your words with the rest of my team. Do not hesitate to contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan to return. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope we can welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The impressive lobby bar is as good as other reviewers have been claiming it to be, even busy on a Sunday night. Although this is nothing compared to how stylish and comfortable the executive suites are. A definite must for a luxury stay.

GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review! It’s always great to see when guests are able to take advantage of our Oasis Living Room Bar, and enjoy the styling of our guestrooms. I have already shared your message with the rest of the W team, and we hope to see you soon. Please contact me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Again, thank you for your kind words. – Anna M., General Manager
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent two nights on the 7th floor. The room was small, the view horrible, but I expected that in NYC. The noise around me was loud, this too was not surprising. I did not expect the bathroom sink to back up and stink !--ok, so plumbing problems happen, but their response was awful. --
you would think they would at least compensate 1 night--or my $36 bar bill. CHEAP and UNPROFESSIONAL.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank puggy32250
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept my apologies for the overall poor experience and the maintenance challenges encountered. This is not the type of W experience we’d like our guests to have, and I can assure you that these comments have been shared with the rest of my management team so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. Please e-mail me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com if you plan to return so that we can improve upon your experience. Thank you again, and we hope we can welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager