“First time at a W”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Winchester, Massachusetts
“First time at a W”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was excited to be staying at a W since I had heard so much about the chain. This hotel was in a great location--directly across from the Waldorf Astoria. I was disappointed in the room. It was so small you could not pass to the bathroom if another person was trying to get something out of the closet. The cleaning supplies that were used had a strong, perfumey odor that gave me an instant headache. Fortunately I was able to open the window to help air it out. Tough to keep it open all night though due to the street noise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment in the size of your room. Although our rooms tend to be on the cozier side, we have many room types and sizes to cater to every need. Also, we will be more than happy in the future to omit the use of our signature W spray when styling your guestroom, as we truly understand that this scent is not for everyone. Please do not hesitate to e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, and we hope we can welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Another crazy NYC hotel. The room I got was so small that they left a note to apologise and gave me free internet. The lobby was so noisy at night that we had to go the the Waldorf Astoria to have a meeting. All that for $400 a pop, crazy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment regarding your assigned guestroom. Move forward, W offers many different room types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests. I will be sharing your feedback with the rest of my management team, and please reach us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning so that we can make your next W experience a better one. Thank you again for your feedback. – Anna M., General Manager.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are small and inconsistently laid out, so some are far more comfortable than others. I do love that you can open the windows, which is not always the case in NY. Great location, lots of great restaurants nearby (and hotel's restaurant is not bad either). Great Bliss amenities. Unfortunately cleaning service is spotty, but otherwise no complaints.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor! Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience experienced regarding the cleanliness of your guestroom. I will definitely share this with my team so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. With that being said, it’s great to see that you enjoyed our location, Bliss amenities, as well as our restaurant, Heartbeat. Please send me an e-mail at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels when you plan to return, so that we can improve upon your next W experience. Thank you again! – Anna M., General Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Having stayed at the W New York over a decade ago, when it was the first (and only) W, it exuded hip. After then staying a few months later at the second one, in Atlanta, I have to say the Lex Avenue location and vibe was the best. I like the W Atlanta, have some great memories of staying there, but it is no longer a W. So New York wins both in terms of long-term cool and overall surroundings. But with so many W Hotels, will it keep its edge? Time will tell.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! It is great to see that you have kept W New York as your preferred W hotel choice! We can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences, and retain our modern, W style! We cannot wait to welcome you back, and please reach out to GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you again for your feedback! – Anna M., General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had read the reviews about this property and was quite concerned. However, they proved the reviews wrong. My room was clean and beautifully decorated. Yes it is modern...it's a W...if you want southern charm...go elsewhere.

It's NYC. Rooms are small. If you expect otherwise...go somewhere else. Our bed was comfortable and our room was quiet (which is difficult for any property in the city to accomplish)! I also loved the Bliss products!

The staff was incredible. They spoke to us about our stay and needs everyday. The continetnal breakfast was charming and just what we needed. They have had the best staff I have encountered at any Starwood property.

We enjoyed the DJ in the "Living Room" both evenings we were there. Blue Whiskey, the bar in the hotel, was also very good and friendly. Yes drinks are expensive. It's NYC...if you want $2 Pabst...go somewhere else!

Can't say enough about the location! It's close to everything, including the subway to get you downtown quickly!

Thanks W! We had a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for non-adjoining rooms. It will keep it quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
What a pleasure it was to read your review! We love when our guests take advantage of our convenient location, and our lounge, Whiskey Blue. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed our signature WOW service. I will certainly be sharing this with my team, and please e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you for sharing your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Glasgow
Reviewed April 18, 2013

It gets 4 stars not 3 because of location and staff, who were excellent. It is a touch too expensive a night for what it is. A touch too small in room size if used as more than a sleep and wash space. A touch too costly for extras. I am sure that adds up to a good profit and doesn't quite drive me down to a three. Margins. My tip to the manager - who cant affect price, size etc is to dial bag the sci-fi uber hip soundtrack in the lobby a bit. With JBL speakers (junk but loud as my sound engineer mate used to say) the heavy bass beats get deeply irritating after a while. Play music suitable for time of day. I would stay here again it traveling alone on business and definitely if i got a more favorable rate. comments re bathroom size lifts and corridors I worry were posted by very, very large people. I'm 6ft4inches 210 pounds and had no problem. I didnt use the Spa. Lots of fit and neurotic people did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dobehave
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our excellent location and the service provided by our W talent members. I will definitely be sharing your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what we do best! Please e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon! – Anna M., General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This must have been the smallest room I have ever stayed in, complete with small desk, small bathroom, and the world's tiniest hair dryer. Then they sting you for Internet access! I love the W model but come on guys, you can do better than this.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for any disappointment with the guestroom you were assigned to. Although our rooms tend to be on the cozier side, we do offer many rooms types and sizes to cater to the needs of all of our guests. We also do loan larger, more powerful hair dryers to our guests upon request, and we regret that you were not informed of this. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. Thank you again for posting, and we hope we can welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager