“Terrible...Everything!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, New York, United States
“Terrible...Everything!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel front Desk person, Erin, is very helpful.
But the room was ok, couldn't get heat to work..(.it's 28 degree's out)

Couldn't get hot water to work, in shower.

And basically the worst thing...the floor stunk like a football locker room.
It was gross.

I didn't feel very welcome there either, and I will never stay, at the W Hotel, or any W hotel, now, again.

Room Tip: do not book this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank macymall
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our online community. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest level of Whatever/Whenever service and to hear we have fallen short of that goal is something we take very seriously. I can assure you that the we are currently addressing the temperature in our guest rooms with a refresh of our temperature system. Please feel free to e-mail us at GMAnna.MacDiarmid@whotels.com so that we can remedy your concerns immediately. Again, we appreciate your feedback, and I will gladly share your kind words with Erin and the rest of the team. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
clocoboogie
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been at the bar and living room area quite a few times for events. Honestly, it feels like a breath of fresh air when walking through the lobby. The layout is great and guests look like they are having a blast.

The check in process went smooth and the front desk attendant was friendly. I was pretty amped thinking 'I'm finally staying at this awesome hotel'.

I've been to a few of the other Starwood properties and this was disappointing. I walked into a very small and desolate room. It didn't feel comfortable or welcoming. I'm 5'7 and when I laid in the bed my feet practically touched the opposite wall. I also ordered room service (not only is it overpriced) but some of the worst food I've ever had.

This really is a poor excuse for a 3 star hotel pretending to be a "W". Save yourself some money: party in the lobby/living room and bunk elsewhere

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your post. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent W New York experience. We cannot even begin to explain how disappointed we were to read your review detailing the dissatisfaction you experienced. I can assure you that I will be sharing these concerns with the rest of our management team, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. – Anna M., General Manager
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If I hadn't found hair in my shower (HUGE pet peeve) I'd have given this hotel 5 stars! Excellent service from the concierge, front desk and breakfast buffet person to the cleaning crew and taxi guy...everyone was courteous, helpful and kind. (Not always a given in NYC!) The breakfast that was included in our room rate (SO loved the discount and free breakfast because of our Starwoods Preferred Guest status!) may have been considered "continental" but I appreciated the exceptional variety! We're not talking Holiday Inn's dusty pastries and weak coffee...there was excellent coffee, hot water for tea, beautiful fresh berries, Greek yogurts, regular yogurts, bananas, fresh-made muffins, pastries, Clif and Luna bars, and that's just all I can remember. Every "fixin" you can imagine for your coffee and tea, too, included flavored syrups. We were in a Standard King room (or maybe called something else, but not the "cozy" room) and we were pleased--though these hotels do not have large rooms, they're still comfortable and we had plenty of room for all our things. (There were two adults.) The large flatscreen on the wall was the perfect size for the room--big enough but not so big. The mini-bar (which I wish they would just do away with) was extensive in its offerings, if that's your thing. Closet had plenty of room and a robe, and of course the shampoos, etc. were awesome, from Bliss Spa, the spa downstairs. (They sell those products at Nordstom Rack on 14th off 3rd, by the way, way less than buying at the spa.) I'd definitely stay at this hotel again...even though they charged us $2 for a phone call. :( Give me a break with that one. (Oh and the wireless isn't free either, unless you go to the lobby--get on-board with every other hotel in the world, W, and give it up. You're not paying anything for it anyway!!)

Room Tip: Don't choose a "cozy"--call and ask about discounts and get a bigger room, which are o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and gracious words from your recent experience at W New York. I have shared your message with the entire Whatever/Whenever team as a great reminder of what we do best! Please accept my apologies for the find in your shower, and I can assure you that I will be addressing it with our management team. We hope to welcome you back soon, and please do not hesitate to contact us at GManna.macdiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning! – Anna M., General Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Booked a four night stay in a cozy room at this hotel on Lexington. After the first night had to ask for an upgrade as the bed in the cozy room is just a double (read small). I thought cozy ment small room, not small bed and was prepared to accept this.

We moved to a king room (at an additional cost) and it was what I would have expected from this hotel chain. The rooms are well appointed.

Room Tip: Do not book a cozy room unless you are on your own or a couple who are petite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Please accept my apologies for any discomfort in your original room. We can certainly assure you that all of our cozy rooms accommodate a standard queen size bed, and I am thrilled that were able to honor your request of a larger room. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback, and we hope to welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights while in town for business. Location is fantastic...great train access, ease getting downtown, etc. The lobby is nice and well layed out. My wife joined me for 3 of the nights and the fantastic queen room is simply not large enough for 2 people. We were literally climbing over each other as we were getting ready in the morning. Lesson learned, we should have booked a larger room. For business travelers the major downfall is the poor wireless signal and the fact that neither of our phones could get a signal (we have different carriers). That left me making calls from the hotel phone racking up over $100 in charges. Maybe a sound option for leisure, but I'll be staying elsewhere next time. Also, cleanliness in the rooms and common spaces deserve some attention....especially with the rates they command.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your post! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our convenient location and our Living Room Oasis Bar. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences experienced. Like many large buildings in New York City, receiving a strong wireless signal can be difficult at times. Rest assured, I will be sharing your comments with the rest of my team. If you do decide to return, please feel free to e-mail us at GManna.macdiarmid@whotels.com so that we can make your next W experience even better! Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. – Anna M., General Manager
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Twenty four cancer patients and survivors were in the PLITZ awards held at the W. From the moment the coordinator made plans, the W was clear to let us know that we were not going to be given any special treatment. And, we weren't. The mini bar in my room was not stacked properly, so I go a bill for what was missing. Huh? A special attendant had to come to check to take of the charges, my time wasted. The heater is ancient and has no real control, it was boiling or freezing. The water pressure is poor in the shower. No one will tell you that you can have a mini frig brought in to keep snacks. Their restaurant is expensive and way below average. The whole event was poorly coordinated by the W. One survivor , a dear friend, checked in, exhausted and needing to sit down. They lost her reservation and would not budge. I was sitting with our coordinator, who tried to reason with the front desk person, and kept getting bumped up to another level. Finally , they asked to see the final contract, which my friend sent to them, and they said it was wrong! It was signed, it was dated and they said it was wrong. Do not plan an event at this WTF hotel. It is overpriced, over concerned with its bottomline and not its customers and could care less about the survivors who came from all over the country to participate in a gala NYC fashion show to raise money for beatlivertumors.org. They said that "we're New Yorkers", well, I was raised in Jersey, and the New Yorkers I know and love would be horrified to know half of what this heartless hotel management put our organization through. Pick another hotel.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, I'm sorry
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jdicarlowagner
GMAnnaM, General Manager at W New York, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks for sharing on Trip Advisor. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced as this is certainly not typical of our hotel. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I will certainly follow up with my team immediately. Also, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at GManna.macdiarmid@whotels.com so that we can rectify your concerns immediately. – Anna M., General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on business between for 7 nights. Normally with a stay this long the management make an effort to get you a room that you can be comfortable in for such a long stay. I was given room 1024 - usual size you expect in New York (i.e. small!). It was fitted out in a modern style, small desk and chair and a pretty comfy bed. Bathroom was adequate - and clean.
The downside was the noise - both outside the room from other guests in the passage way and inside he room from the noisiest air conditioning i have ever come across. It wasn't helped by the fact you couldn't simply turn it off - it was either an auto setting or on all he time!
I didn't use any of the other hotel services apart from a couple of glasses on wine in the hotel lobby - and at $13 a pop i would suggest going to one of the many great bars in the vicinity where it costs a lot less and there is more atmosphere.
For a short say like a weekend i hink his would be a good base - longer stays not so good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the W New York and thank you for taking the time to post a review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the noise level during your recent W New York experience. Rest assured, W New York is in the process of upgrading our room temperature system to further the comfort of our future guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please do not hesitate to e-mail us at GManna.macdiarmid@whotels.com when you plan on returning, so that we can make your next W experience even better. - Anna M., General Manager.