“Avoid”

W New York
Ranked #328 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am a loyal Starwood Platinum member. Avoid this like the plague. There are so many (100s) better options in Manhattan. Rooms are postage stamp size and I was supposedly upgraded (would hate to see the standard rooms). Service is worse than bad. Whatever, Whenever actually means never. No one answers, ever. Save yourself the brain damage, book anywhere else, forever.

Forgot to mention, the maids don't really clean the rooms. They make the bed without changing the sheets and don't vacuum or take out the garbage. Doing as little as they can get away with is abused by the maids here. They didn't get away with it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bm_w_ep
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am disappointed to hear your recent stay at W New York did not reach your expectations as a loyal SPG Platinum member. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and have reached out the appropriate teams on property to ensure your concerns are addressed. I would however love to get some more details about your stay and welcome you to contact our Guest Services Talent Coach at Paul.Gambardella@whotels.com to discuss your experience further. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to W New York.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was just okay for a W and I think this one is not as good as the others in the city. Not a huge fan of the location - too far east. Lots of noise coming from the street and of the club downstairs. Rooms were quite small and smelled a little funky.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the W just before storm Sandy Hit. The rooms are stylish and decent. Just make sure to stay on higher floors away from the club noise. Only issue with my room, my window faced a building not more than 10-15 ft away. The lobby reminds me of a scene in Miami Vice. It's not a far walk from all the main NY attractions. Will be back in a few months.

Room Tip: i didn't use the spa or the swimming pool. not sure there even was one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback with TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your recent experience at W New York. We also love being close to all of the attractions that make New York City such a fantastic destination! Again thank you for your review and we are looking forward to your return trip!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

For a quiet, relaxing, time in New York, I recommend a "Cozy Room" at the W Hotel on Lexington. The room was quiet, the bed very comfy, and excellent service. Each request was responded to quickly and with a smile. The Hotel Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Pick the room for your needs and comfort.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My fiancé and I have been traveling since we first started dating years ago, and W Hotels (in general) are always go-to accommodations for us. The W New York is no exception - we stayed there Jan 4-7, 2013 and it did not disappoint. It's a fun atmosphere in the lobby (quiet in the day, pretty loud and busy at night w/ lounge music playing and cocktails flowing). The rooms are great (not huge, but great for NY). We were upgraded upon arrival and the staff was helpful and courteous until we checked out.

Bliss49 is a great spot to go for a mani/pedi (and the product they sell is amazing). The concierge in the main lobby have some of the best recommendations for food - both suggestions (Italian in the neighbourhood and Mexican downtown) were both fantastic. Stop by and see them, it's worth it.

The location itself is amazing and for cigar smokers, there is a great cigar bar across the road - Barclay Rex. While I got my nails done, my fiancé enjoyed a magazine and a cigar. The location is walking distance to a ton of city sites including Rockefeller, MoMA and Fifth Avenue shopping... And it's really not far from the south end of Central Park. If the weather is good, we spend most of our time walking and enjoying the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marissa B, Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you and your fiancé had a wonderful trip earlier this month and that you share our love for W Hotels! Thank you for sharing your travel tips with other readers, we enjoy being nearby to some of the city’s best attractions! I am glad that our fabulous concierge could assist in making some recommendations and you enjoyed Bliss49 and our Living Room. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your return to New York. Happy travels!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a new SPG member, I stayed at the W Hotel duringThanksgiving in 2012. Arriving late the evening before Thanksgiving, I found the desk attendant, Stephanie to be delightful. She was pleasant and upbeat and more than willing to answer all of my questions. I thanked her for her assistance and told her about my pleasant phone conversations with other hotel staff and how much I appreciated good customer service. We found our upgraded room to be delightful, the bed was so comfortable in our "Spectacular room" and enjoyed the special complimentary touches like Bliss products in our bathroom, green apples and infused water in the lobby. The hotel is very conveniently located within walking distance to so many places we wanted to visit like Rockefeller Center, Time Square, Grand Central and shopping. It was our first visit to New York City, but won't be our last. We will stay in this W Hotel when we return.

Room Tip: 9th floor on 50th Street side = Quiet night's sleep. Ice is a phone call away.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolynjb330
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I tried the W in New York for the first time as I have good experience from the W in Santiago, but was deeply disappointed. Total crowded reception with no personal touch when you approached the staff in the reception at check in/out. As a last minute booking I got the smallest room in the hotel (think it was 421 or something - see picture). It barely contained a bed and a bathroom. It was impossible to adjust the temperature and the air conditioning must have made close to 75 decibel of noise WITHOUT adjusting the temperature the whole night! I got the air con shifted by a handyman at 2 am without any change to the problem..... I have never slept so little in any hotel room ever. Happy I had a good book to read to make the hours fly. There was no interest in any feedback to the above at check out in the morning – it was just like talking to a wall. Sorry W - never again if I am not convinced that you have made a remarkable effort to deliver guest experiences...

Room Tip: Do not accept rooom 421!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business