“Home Away From Home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This truly is a home away from home. The staff is superb, as well as the accommodations. The bar/lounge area is so cozy and they added the greatest touch when we would return from the bitter cold. They had hot apple cider, just like your mom makes. Thank you W! Treat yourself to a incredible experience. And if you have to deal with anyone in management, Renee is incredible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AndreaC06
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that we could provide a "home away from home" using our Whatever/Whenever service. I will be sharing your kind and gracious words with Renee and the rest of our team. Please drop me a line at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you plan on returning.

Guest Services Talent coach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2012

After nearly 2 hour delay getting to and through the Lincoln tunnel I was ready to park my car. The first hotel employee I encountered was Derron at curb side, what a difference one person made to me. Derrons' pleasant personality and don't sweat the little stuff attitude were paramount and was what I needed after sitting in traffic. He was very informative and directed me to a local pizza shop to get a bite to eat. The W made a very good decision by having Derron on their staff. All staff at this property that I encountered was professional and plesant. The room was clean and small as I expected,

1 Thank Darrell S
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night eariler this month when our apartment in the city lost power after the storm Sandy hit NYC hard. We were tired, exhasusted, and frustrated by the fact that we could not stay at our own apartment and had to look for a place to stay safe. However, the warm welcome from Carmen at the front desk made us feel a lot better. Understanding the situation we had to go through, she let us stay at a larger room, have four bottles of water, and check out at 4 PM! It really helpled us much as we had the power back late afternoon. We had a couple of room service which was very good and the staff was all very kind. We even had a chance to have an easy ride back home because they had a co-promotion going with Acura. Although Sandy was hard on us, W gave a little relief.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Junho K
Thank you for your post! We are thrilled that Carmen and the rest of the Whatever/Whenever team were able to deliver our signature WOW service. Please let me know when you plan on returning and feel free to e-mail me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com

London, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We recently returned from our trip to New York and had a good time however, did not enjoy our stay at this hotel. At the end of a long day of site seeing and touring the city, it is expected to come back to a relaxing hotel. We did not find this at this hotel. Upon check-in, we were imediately unimpressed with the state of the room. It looked like we were in the basement but were actually on THE 5th FLOOR! Thew view of the room was to an alley and of a vent that had bird feces all over it while the vent went right into our room and was constantly humming loudly. Shortly after, a couple of huge cockroaches scurried about the room. I realize this is New York and it is not exactly a very clean city however this is unacceptable. Also, the thermostat did not work. It was constantly 76F or higher in the room which made for extremely uncomfortable circumstances. It was dark, stinky and musty, as well as very humid. We complained twice to hotel staff about these issues and nothing was done or offered as an incentive.

On the upside the concierge was extremely helpful, knew directions and had great recommendations for good restaurants. The location was pretty good as well. The bliss products were nice.

Despite the few minor pros to this hotel, we will NEVER be staying here again. It altered our overall experience of our trip to NY.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first or select a different W location as there are approximately 2 others in NY...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MadisonLeach
Thank you for your post, Madison! We are shocked by your comments, and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. In the future, please report any of these issues to the hotel directly, as I can assure you, we have a strict pest control policy. We definitely would have taken care of this and would have explored other room assignment options for you. If you ever plan on returning, please feel free to e-mail at paul.gambardella@whotels.com.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I have have stayed on three occasions at this hotel, always booking it through one of those "mystery hotel sites". We are not into gold, platinum, or any other precious metal membership status, so cannot talk about those perks or their lack of. Location-wise it is excellent if you want to be in the Midtown-east area. Subway line E is located on Lexington and 59th St, and this line one can take you straight to the JFK Airtrain in Jamaica. A lively bar area, with a DJ on weekends, always packed in the evenings with a nice crowd. Front desk service is prompt and courteous. The rooms are just as small as what you will get in other "boutique-style" hotels in Midtown NYC. Expect rooms with the same "boutique look" as elsewhere: gray on the walls, black and white pictures, etc. Great bathroom amenities, from the hotel's spa brand. We did not try the restaurant, but the prices looked reasonable. We always have a good time here, and can certainly recommend it.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArnaldoRuiz
London
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Recently stayed here for business. 1 night too many. Checking in early at around 7.30am was a nightmare. I encountered a man on the front desk who was surly and rude. Notwithstanding my assistant had rung in advance to ensure that my platinum spg number was in the system for a block business booking, he insisted that was not the case and therefore I was not entitled to an upgrade. When pushed, he then said the system said I was gold. Finally he conceded I was platinum. I mean, really, why would you treat your customers like this? I normally wouldn't be too fussed about an upgrade or not - but in this hotel, it makes a difference. It means you get a room where you can actually walk around the bed. The cozy and wonderful rooms are tiny. A joke. I ultimately got a "mega" room which was far from it. The bathroom is a size of a wardrobe; the morning shower was tepid at best; and most of the night I was woken up by the old and outdated aircon system which sounds like a 767 taking off. All my colleagues experienced the same problem. When there are so many other better hotels in the vicinity, I certainly won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, don't even think about staying in a room which is smaller than "mega&q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Please accept our sincere apologies for the way you were treated at check-in. Although the Starwood Preferred Guest program details that our Platinum guests are eligible for an upgrade based upon availability, we also do our best at securing an upgrade and acknowledging our loyal guests. I apologize if we fell short of this, and I will be sharing this with the rest of the team here.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am a loyal Gold SPG member, and have been staying at this particular W hotel on and off for the last 10 years. I have to say, after this particular stay, I don’t know if I will be coming back. I am not the type that typically complains about my experience, but in this case I just have to pass this on.

First item is really just a frustration. When I checked in and got to my room, first thing I did was set up my laptop on the desk. I could not find a visible power outlet anywhere near the desk. Nothing. In fact, the room had only one visible power source in the far corner underneath the television. The only solution was to physically move the desk away from the wall, so that I could use the one outlet available to get power to my laptop. In a sleek, modern hotel like a W, this is simply not adequate. Moving furniture to get access to power is something one could expect 10 years ago, but not today.
Immediately following this, I went to the workout facility. One of the most important features of any hotel I stay in is the fitness room, and I like the location and the openness of this one. I started on treadmill number 1, but the TV did not have power. I moved to treadmill number 2, and both the TV had no power and the TV controller was broken and hanging by a wire. I moved to treadmill number 3, which functioned properly for about 7 minutes, then lost all power – both treadmill and TV. I moved to treadmill number 4 beside it, and it was equally without power. Running out of options, I moved to an elliptical machine. Machine operated fine, and the TV came on, but offered one station of local television only, with a very fuzzy picture. Sure, I was able to find 1 piece of equipment that functioned, and maybe hoping for TV is just too much. But again, I find this less than adequate in this environment. For the record, I went back the following day, only to find the two treadmills still without power, and the other two still without TV. So it is apparently not just a one day issue. Both frustrating and disappointing.

We all know that it is the little things that keep you loyal and keep you satisfied. In this case, I had enough little things to lead me to say no more to the W in NYC. I genuinely hope that things improve. As it stands, it is well below standards for this level of hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your post, Donald! I cannot begin to describe how disappointed we were when reading your review, and we have shared this feedback with the rest of the management team. I know that we have been in contact you, and I hope we have solved this in the fairest way possible. Please do not hesitate to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you plan on returning.