“Definitely not W standard”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #319 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Was a disappointing weekend stay. Everything just seemed "off". Quite early on the Friday evening we were having cocktails and tapas in the lounge bar and there was pleasant low volume chill out music playing in the background. Then the DJ upped the volume so much we actually had to ask the staff to have it turned down (& no we aren't old fogies!!). It was so unnecessary as the lounge was almost empty and most guests were clearly enjoying a quiet drink. The rooms are small - but so are most NYC hotel rooms but ok. The concierge was super helpful at getting us a booking at a Michelin star restaurant on short notice and most other staff were great until we were leaving. Our town car was waiting on a side street and we couldn't find a bellboy to assist us with a trolley full of luggage (three of us). We eventually found him out on the street counting his tips. He begrudgingly took our trolley and recklessly wheeled it out onto the street. Next thing my laptop and camera bag falls off the trolley onto the sidewalk. No apology or even look of concern...... Then with the next push my suitcase tumbles off into the gutter. STILL no apology. He was rude, careless and clearly not the right person for a key service role in a top hotel. It ruined my whole stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for W New York

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I was happy they let me check in early in the morning as I was so tired from a red eye flight from LA. But when I first stepped into my assigned room the bed was not made and there was a dirty towel on the bathroom floor. They quickly switched me to another room. The second room was ok. Their Acura service was not available. It would have been convenient especially w the subway not working 100% (because of hurricane Sandy). I've stated at other W hotels and they were much nicer. Also, I am an SPG platinum member and they didn't seem to recognize that very much. It's certainly not a bad hotel, but I expected more from a w. (I do appreciate that they let me check in early)

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and i have stayed here several times before and we love it, but after this experience we probably wont go back. Firstly the hotel is getting shabby - definitely needs a re-fit. Next, our bags were dropped getting out of our car on arrival and something valuable was broken. The door man tried to blame the driver. We were staying in a suite - on more than one occasion our room, which we left around 9-10am in the morning was not made up at 5 or 6pm when we got back. It took multiple calls to reception - and what did they do - drop 2 towels on the toilet - no even fold them, no sorry, no toiletries, nothing. Help desk also made dinner reservations for us, and when we got to the fancy restaurant in the Meat Packing district the concierge had booked dinner on the wrong night, although the print out he gave us said different. A lot of trouble connecting to the internet as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PollyinCairo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is not bad, but there are so, so, so many places that are way better at the same price or less. I have stayed at several W hotels and if there wasn't a sign on the door reminding me that this was a W hotel, I would have been sure I was at a mid level Sheraton. The decor was very "run of the mill", the rooms are in desperate need of a face lift, looking very worn and missing many convinces we have come to take for granted (iPhone dock/charger). I am an SPG Gold member and when available I am suppose to receive a complementary upgrade, I was told that I was given the upgrade, but when I got to my "wonderful" room, I am pretty sure that they stuck me in a "cozy" room and just told me it was upgraded, I also was not offered any of the other SPG Gold perks and did not ask as I was only there for one night. For reference, my room (#614) was about 180 square feet with a full size bed and very hard for two people maneuver in at the same time, the bathroom was also very small with just a small shower stall. The employees were competent, but not the overly enthusiastic W employees that I have experienced in the past. Rooms were clean, with lots of towels and fully stocked with wonderful Bliss products and the location is great. FYI, bring your iPhone charger because if you don't, your suggested option is to purchase on for $28 dollars from the mini bar that charges you if you touch it. Really!!! WTF??? That kind of sums up my experience. I do not think I would go back with so many great places in NYC.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John G
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Loved this place - stayed here for four days for work. The rooms ARE SMALL, but people! this is manhattan, so understandable. i loved the place and the vibe - and esp the apples in the foyer!!! will definitely return!

Room Tip: Go for a high room for the views!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Eager to get back to NYC after so many years away I was more than a little excited to be visiting the New York offices of the company I work for. I received my travel documentation and my excitement was heightened by staying at the acclaimed W Hotel, 541 Lexington Avenue.

Upon arrival I was super impressed with Kevin the receptionist; I wanted to be wowed during this visit and he hit the spot. It was an educated, knowledgeable, anything we can do for you service so those critical first few moments of my first impression were marked positively.

My room, where I was to stay for three nights, was the right size, perfectly equipped and just right for me and my luggage. I needed an adaptor for my plug which they had in the room and the complimentary toiletries were perfect (as were the complimentary bottles of water each evening). Although basic for most hotels, it's important to state that the bed was great, as was the TV, bathroom, rain forest shower, storage space and general cleanliness.

I visited the concierge (Lauren) and decided to play the dumb tourist, a part I found naturally easy to adopt. I simply asked what I should do with my Sunday afternoon in New York. She suggested the Grey Line open top bus tour; I duly obliged and paid my money and went sight-seeing.

Later that evening I visited Lauren again and asked where to eat - she recommended three different restaurants, two of which I visited on Sunday evening and on Monday evening. Those restaurants were exceptional and couldn't have been better for food, ambiance, service and price. Lauren really helped to make a difference to my visit.

I visited the hotel bar on two evenings and enjoyed a drink in a relaxing environment in the lobby. I also ate breakfast at the hotel each morning enjoying healthy drinks, omelettes, juice, coffee and pastries.

The location of the hotel was ideal for me. I needed to walk to Madison each morning and I wanted to be in amongst the hustle and bustle. It couldn't have been better. It wasn't too noisy in the room but was right in the heart of the action downstairs.

I also need to provide a special mention for W Insider Nicola Robinson who helped arrange a special surprise for a colleague who arrived later in the trip and who also ensured I was looking forward to my visit before the trip and checking in with me when I returned.

I really have had an amazing experience with this W Hotel and I cannot wait to return in the not too distant future.

Thank you W Hotel Lexington!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Djdegiorgio
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your post! We are thrilled that we were able to provide you with a true Whatever/Whenever experience! I will be sharing your gracious words and feedback with Lauren and the rest of the W New York team. Please feel free to shoot me an e-mail at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you are planning on returning.

Paul Gambardella
Guest Services Talent Coach

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are tiny. Plus, you cannot have your own drinks at the mini bar, they would charge you for removing existing stuff. In addition, I did not get SPG points because I booked through Expedia (contrary to what the staff stated).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your post! We are truly disappointed with the comments you wrote, and apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your recent W experience. As a whole, Starwood does not credit points to reservations booked through a third party. However, most Starwood hotels, like ours, do our best to acknowledge your loyalty and provide other benefits. I apologize if this was not how you were treated and that you were misinformed. We appreciate your feedback.