“Small noisy room with itchy uncomfortable bed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #312 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Small noisy room with itchy uncomfortable bed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I don't travel often. So when I tag along with my husband for a business trip, it's a special treat for me. He is a SPG platinum member which basically means he gets upgraded to a better room of available. Upon arriving at 12pm, we were told our room was not ready but they had upgraded us to a room on a higher floor with a king bed ect. The woman at the front desk was quite unhelpful when I asked when our room would be ready " anytime after 3pm" is all she would say... You can have a room on a lower floor with a queen bed if you want something now. We declined and waited for our upgraded room.

For whatever reason, I could not sleep in this room. We were on the 12th floor and I don't know what street the room was facing but I heard traffic all night long. Cars, buses and trucks. In addition to that the bed was itchy and uncomfortable. I did not sleep a wink all night.

I have stayed at the Westin Times Square and always had a much more pleasant stay. The rooms are much higher up so street noise is not an issue and the heavenly bed lives up to its name.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your post. I can't even begin to describe how disappointing it was to read this review. I can assure you that we truly value our Platinum guests, and although our check-in is at 3pm, that response you received from our agent is absolutely unacceptable. I will be sharing your feedback with the rest of our management team. Please reach out to me directly at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you plan on returning, so that we can make your future stay a much more welcoming one.

Guest Services Talent Coach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked and prepaid this hotel on hotels.com. The first night cost just under $650 - Fashion week in NY and the city gets very expensive.
I have only stayed in one other W hotel, the last time in San Francisco. The place seemed to mostly full of businessmen, but not really aimed at them from what I can see. It started badly with a check-in assistant who couldn't locate our booking, so we had to submit a card to cover until it was found.The next day he still couldn't locate the booking, though his manager managed to find it straight away. A whole lot of attitude, not a lot of substance. The rooms are tiny, making unpacking a suitcase a problem. Its ok if you just have carry-on size, but don't turn up with anything bigger. There are jokey little bits about the place, a bit like the stuff you get on Virgin Atlantic flights, but really for $650 I don't need tiresome cutesy stuff, I want a comfortable room. With a King bed, not a Queen...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank forexport

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

DUBAI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

stayed at the W for a week and booked it thinking it was the old one I used to go two years before that used to host the whisky bar and that was divided in two buildings. Well apparently this one was closed down, therefore I was a bit surprised when the limo dropped me there.
When you arrived it feels like entering in a disco, very classy one...
As SPG Platinum member I got an "upgrade" and found a very small and dark room facing a garage wall.An upgrade..? so I guess the normal room is a speeping bag in the garage area then! After checking the W website I understood how can my room could be an upgrade: They 5 or 6 rooms categories and 4 suites category. So the upgrade I got was a painting above the bed and 1 meter square more of space. I find this (even though I completely understand the idea behind it, I am a businessman!) very annoying, back in normal days when you d book a room and get an upgrade you d get a suite not an extra lamp and 1 meter square more!
Stayed there one night and asked to be moved to bigger room and that I was really happy to pay more if needed.
At the end of the day I got upgraded " free of charge" to a Spa suite at 4 th floor kind of strange as you have to pass by the spa reception to get to the rooms.
I guess I had a (reduced person mobility room) as the shower looked like the one in hospital where you can enter with a wheelchair.
Room was big (one seating area and the bed room) unfortunately in manhattan if you stay at the 4th floor you ll be facing another building.
Still very happy to get a real big room for the week, anyway the only problem is that the towel hanger (a huge and heavy metal ring), was poorly fixed on the wall and fall on my foot, cut it and blood everywhere in the bathroom. I called reception to explain, they were genuinely shocked, and apologized like they murdered my entire family! Then I remembered that I as was in the US and that I could go to court for that and asked them some money! Cool down guys I am French so we only use lawyer to fight against the government! LOL.
Anyway I git a really nice phone call from the Manager and he asked me what he could do for me! I just asked to change the room specially because of the bathroom.
They told me they ll get right on it and that I ll get a new room at the end of the day. So coming back from work I was upgraded to a magnificent suite with a Terrace.
The only bad point is the breakfast where they sale you a canned orange juice for 16 USD! come on especially looking at the wellness food marketing W is throwing at your face all day!
I complained about that, and once again they apologized and they seamed sincere.
Anyway for Bkfast on the go there is a small stand where the bar is in the morning very good.
You can also book an Acura ride in town for free?
In conclusion very good hotel, very attentive management excellent location, a funky ambiance and bar (whisky blue, or something like that).
I will definitely be back and I a sending all my colleague to this hotel, it is a way to compensate the effort from management given to me with a smile on my last stay and everyone coming is back with only compliment on their stay.

Room Tip: If you can afford it don t go for the rack rate rooms you d be disappointed, and have a bad image of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank FRENCHBIZTRAVELER
Thank you for your review! We are truly sorry for the inconveniences experieced, but are thrilled that we were able to provide an effective service recovery! Please do not hesitate to e-mail me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you plan on returning.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wow - What a disappointment this hotel was. I read the negative reviews prior to booking our week long stay however, chose to ignore them (mistake) due to the fact that I usually assume people who write scathing reviews are just people who are difficult to please. Needless to say we should have listened. This property no where near lives up to what you would expect from a Starwood Hotel. We expect to spend a lot of money when staying in New York. What we don't expect is spending a lot of money for POOR service and substandard room conditions. Come on, for $450 a night the least the W could provide is free Wifi in the room. Being nickel and dimed for every single thing just seems greedy and tasteless.

Most of the tv's in the gym did not work. I requested to have someone take a look and not only did I ask twice, but it took them half an hour to show up. When someone finally did show up I was finished my workout and the next day they were still not functioning.

The room was small as was expected ( not the issue ) but the bed, although comfortable was definitely NOT a queen. To give credit where credit is due, the bedding was great. The furniture was worn and the shower leaked all over the floor no matter how many towels we put down. There wasn't even a soap dish on the counter or in the shower for the bar soap provided. The Bliss toiletry products were the highlight of this hotel. Sad to think that the best thing about this hotel was the shampoo.

The cleaning ladies were the friendliest people in the hotel and the ONLY people who didn't give us attitude.

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank L L
Thank you for your post. We truly value feedback like yours, and are sorry that your W experience did not live up to your expectations. We will be sharing your feedback with the rest of our management team. We do offer complimentary WiFi in our Living Room area, and to our Gold and Platinum SPG members, so it is definitely something to look forward to as you stay more often with Starwood. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Bliss amenities, and look forward to taking your feedback to make some wonderful improvements.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has it all. The best staff that a great management team can put together. Specifically Mr. Derron who greeted me as soon as I stepped out of my limo. Derron always makes me feel welcomed and treats all his guests with the utmost class.

The reason I come back again and again is because of the location, ambiance, staff professionalism and quality. The concierge does a great job to get me on the list for the best restaurants and nightclubs.

Looking forward to the next visit!

Room Tip: "Wonderful Room" for a great value, and a Suite for the best experience.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was the 4th W hotel I have stayed in over the last 4 weeks and by far was not up to standard. Checked in and the room which was an upgraded room was small, musty and extremely hot (air would not cool down). Checked out within an hour and went to the Westin on 42nd street.... Much better choice. The manger for this W has moved and is now at the Westin. If you want a W in NYC stay in Times Square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your post. We are truly sorry about your most recent W experience. We take feedback like this very seriously, and I will be sharing it with the rest of our management team. Please contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you ever plan on returning so that we can make your stay extra special.

All the best,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This review is late but necessary. I rely heavily on tripadvisor for my travel needs and have neglected my review duties during the last few years. This hotel and staff deserves my comments! I stayed here 4-5 days a week beginning on July 30th through the first or second week in September. I'm on a work project that has me in New York through January. Let me level set my experience. July 17th I broke my jaw. You can imagine how difficult it is to navigate a new work assignment and the bustling full speed ahead life of New York City with a mouth that's wired shut. However, I showed up at the W New York with a pen and pad in hand ready to communicate my "check-in" and was met with sincere concern, kindness, and support from the superb staff.

So let me start with the review of the staff. The staff from front desk to housekeeping is incredible. Carmen at the front desk who checked me in either on Sunday or Monday night for most of my stays at the W New York is the consummate professional. I made a request for a fridge during the time that my mouth was wired shut due to a limited diet which consisted of all liquids and each week she saw me she remembered exactly who I was, the difficulties I was having, and ensured I had a refrigerator in my room without me even asking. In addition to the staff being an incredible help during my time of injury, I was also trying to make an offer on a house from long distance while in New York. This required constant communication with my wife in another state. Another member of the front desk and I'm sorry I didn't catch her name helped me fax a signed 10 page offer letter back to my wife and real estate agent. She requested help from the house staff who came picked up my documents two different times, faxed them, two different times, and then slipped the fax confirmation under my door. This crew goes above and beyond and all you have to do is ask for help. The W "whatever whenever" really does hold true at this property.

Which leads me to the review of the property. As with most W's there's a heightened level of energy when you walk into the lobby. The rooms here are NOT fancy and are Manhattan small. However, the beds are superbly comfortable and housekeeping does a great job in providing a spic and span cleaning. The rooms don't look brand new but hold up well and are laid out nicely to provide no waste of the limited space. I do know that while I was there the rooms on the 4th floor were being completely redone. So if you get one of those, you know they aren't more than 2 months old. I'm not clear if this was going to be a systematic floor-by-floor renovation. I did once get checked in to a room that had a funny smell. I immediately went back down to the front desk, they gave me another room, and took the room that I was checked into offline until housekeeping could investigate. The gym isn’t gigantic but more than adequate. Get there early, I guess the demographic that likes to stay at the W also likes to workout. I found myself hitting the streets on a few of the mornings that I meant to run on the treadmill because they were all taken. When my wife came to visit she took advantage of the Bliss Spa and loved it! I wasn’t there for the spa experience so I can’t provide many details…sorry!

The area is superb for business and tourist travel. I did stay one week at the W times square and the rooms there were great but the area incredibly congested. I'd been putting in long hours and I just don't want to wade through a mass of humanity when I'm getting back to my room at 9pm. Still, the W New York, being on Lexington, is maybe a 15 - 20 minute walk from all of the action in time square. The W New York is just steps from an incredible row of restaurants and bustling nightlife on 2nd Ave. This is a great area to have for a business traveler that wants a choice of non-tourist trap eateries. It also allows the tourist to experience the Manhattan neighborhood feeling. During one of my wife’s visits we hit a little diner called the morning star cafe for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and dined at the Smith one night for dinner. Have the MAC and Cheese at the SMITH!

Finally, as a runner I really did appreciate being just over a mile from Central Park. I'd run there in the morning, do the six mile park loop, and run back. That park is a beautiful piece of green in the middle of the urban jungle.
Would I stay here again? Absolutely! The negatives for me are that it’s a hefty commute for me from my office in Brooklyn. Also, due to the fall season, the rates have gone over my company allowance but if all were the same I'd book in a heartbeat. The take away for this one is the central Manhattan location and the exceptional service. They are always willing and ABLE to help!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Spacecaydet
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and gracious words from your recent experience at W New York. I have shared your message with Carmen and the entire WHATEVER WHENEVER team as a great reminder of what we do best! We hope to welcome you back soon, and please contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you are planning to return.

All the best,