“Great location, but NOT W Standards” 2 of 5 bubbles

W New York
Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
“Great location, but NOT W Standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were traveling to New York to visit friends that were leaving the US, shopping, and enjoy a nice weekend away.

We arrived at the hotel just before 9pm and we could not find the valet to take our car. He was not wearing any sort of recognizable uniform. Finally we got our bags, and I had to go inside to find him while leaving my car parked on Lexington Avenue. This was not a very good start. We then waited over 10 minutes before we were helped at the Welcome desk. She told me she was upgrading us to a Spectacular room. I inquired about anything else with my Platinum Status, and she said there was nothing else.

We went up to the room and were a bit surprised. The room was NOT a Spectacular room, it was a Wonderful Room (at Best). The view was of a stairwell and another guestroom, where people were "enjoying their evening" right there for everyone to see. I called down to the desk and asked again for an upgrade or to be moved. She said she would look and call me back. The agent called me back and said there was nothing else she could move me into.

I had trouble believing that, so I went online and looked and there were other Wonderful Rooms and Mega Rooms for sale on the website (aka, available as it was after 9pm) but the woman at the front desk lied and refused to help.

Realizing, I would get nowhere, I emailed customer service and the hotel management asking them to call me on my cell phone, as I would be there for a couple days. During my stay, I received NO phone call, email back, no offer to help, not even an apology or note.

We then did not want to stay in the room (it was small, and the view was disturbing) so we went to the lobby bar. We sat in in some of the couches and looked at the drink menu, and waited over 15 minutes, but the cocktail waitress never came by. She walked passed ONCE smiled at us and I waved her over, but she went back into the kitchen and never came out. Finally we went to the bar, and the bartender was saving the seats for someone else! We moved some other stools up to the bar and squeezed into the corner. The drink was NOT to W Standards either. I have stayed at the other W's in New York, and the Downtown bartenders are some of the best in the industry. This one seemed to hate her job.

When we checked out, I had been charged for internet (although it was supposed to be free) and the agent kept forgetting to take it off. She has to re-print the bill 3 times. With the line that was there, the entire process took close to a half hour. I am glad I was only going out shopping and not trying to catch a plane.

When we left, Lexington Avenue was closed for a street fair, which I know can be difficult on the hotel as their front entrance is not accessible. We had to lug our bags out and around the corner to meet the valet. There was NO offer of assistance from anyone. It then took over 45 minutes for our car to arrive.

We left thoroughly disappointed in the W New York. After a couple days, I had still NEVER received a response to my initial email to the hotel management, my initial request for a call back, nor the request I made at check-out. I emailed the hotel again, and again copied Starwood Customer Care. This time I got a quick response and voice mail from Jason, the assistant director of the Welcome office. I am glad that the actual management of the hotel cared enough to respond. Jason apologized and said he "missed" my original requests as the GM was off for the weekend. I find that hard to believe that the GM leaves and nobody checks emails. He offered me a minimal amount of starpoints and offered to upgrade us to a Fantastic Suite next time we came to the hotel. I am due that upgrade as a Platinum member anyway!

I had had issues with other W Hotels before, as I know nothing is ever perfect, including a billing issue with the W San Francisco just a week before. They took care of it and certainly exceeded my expectations, but the W New York failed at every moment, even when trying to get a resolution. Beware!

Room Tip: Rooms are VERY small (even for NY Standards), and unless you book a suite, you may be out of luck wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PWendell
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for your post. I have looked into the issues noted, and have followed-up with our team. Firstly, we apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your time here. The room that you booked was a Cozy Queen room and you were upgraded to a Spectacular Room, which is two room types higher than the one booked. Platinum members are entitled to an upgrade upon availibility. As part of our service recovery, we have gone ahead and guaranteed you a suite upgrade. If you need further clarification on this, you can certainly reach out to SPG. With regards to the availibilty that night, sometimes rooms show availability from our Central Reservations team online, but our property also handles particular arrangements as well as our in-house team making reservations; therefore there can be at times delayed communication between the teams. I hope this helps clarify your concerns, as we would never lie to our guests. I have also personally visited the room you occupied and referenced our property floorplan. The view across from you is the other side of the hotel and is a corridor, not a guest room. I did also did not see a stairwell. With regards to Jason's reponse, you are absolutely correct. The GM mailbox should have been checked, and your e-mail was missed until the following Monday, and someone should have reached out to you as requested. For future reference, we do have a manager on duty at all times that would be more than happy to speak with any guest either over the phone or in person to address any concerns. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, and I am happy we were able to address these concerns with you.

Guest Services Talent Coach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stay at this W whenever i come to NYC and the staff and service at the W Lexington is the reason!!
This trip was to celebrate my 31st bday, which i mentioned in the request so i might possibly get a bigger room, hey you can't blame a guy for trying lol. Didnt get a bigger room but what i did get was a Bottle of Chandon champagne on ice with champagne glasses and a velvet cupcake sent up courtesy of the front desk staff :)
Probably one of the most memoriable things that has ever happened to me at any hotel.
W Hotel Lexington will Forever be 5 star and beyond to me!!!!!

Kgarnes81@gmail.com
Stayed Sept 28-29 2012

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your post! Happy 31st Birthday! We are excited that we were a part of it, and that our Whatever/Whenever service has made memories for you. Please feel free to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when you are planning to return.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for nine days in December 2011. Having just flown for more than 26 hours from Perth we just wanted somewhere comfortable to sleep off our jet-lag. Our cab ride from JFK to the hotel was a nightmare, so our first impression of NYC was not great. Thankfully the W Hotel was a welcome change.

The room was pretty small, but it had the essentials; a really comfortable bed, a modern and clean bathroom and best of all - free wifi. The hotel is pretty centrally located and only a 10 minute walk to both Times Square and Central Park. It was a very quiet room and we never had any problems with street noise or our neighbours. The staff were helpful and the concierge was easily able to give us any information we needed.

A few NYC highlights; Broadway (see as many shows as you can!), Rockefeller Centre (better than the Empire State building because was less wait, plus you could see Central Park plus the Empire State Building from the top), Central Park, Little Italy and Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Midtown.

A great hotel in a truly interesting city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for post! We are very happy to hear that our Concierge team delivered Whatever/Whenever service to you and your wife! Please, do not hesistate to contact me at paul.gambardella@whotels.com if you need further assistance or plan on returning.

Paul Gambardella,
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Love this hotel. Perfectly located in midtown. Within walking distance to Rock Center, Times Square, and Grand Central station. The staff was excellent. Although the room are a bit smaller than what we are used, it IS midtown Manhattan and still a beautiful room. We upgraded to the spectacular room and was very pleased.

Loved the Acura complimentary shuttle, and although they weren't staffed by the hotel, they made the W look very very good with there customer service, and very helpful directions after dropping us off.

Will definitely book here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wnewyork541, Guest Services Talent Coach at W New York, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Hi there!

Thank you for your post! We value your feedback at the W New York, and we are thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience our Whatever/Whenever service!. Please drop me a line at paul.gambardella@whotels.com when retuirning, and I will be more than happy to ensure an even greater W experience.

All the best,

Niskayuna, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stay at the W on business travel and it has truly become a home away from home. I have stayed at several chain hotels that my company does business with but W NY is above the rest! It is not only located in a great spot in midtown, NY but it is clean, has a great buzz of activity, always fresh, updated modern style, lobby always lively and comfortable to sit by the fireplace on the lounges, grab a drink at the lobby bar open day and night or meet old or new friends at one of the hottest bar in NYC - Wiskey Bar on the ground level of the hotel. But the best part of the hotel is the professional, helpful and friendly staff. Most of them have been there for years and they are great! The motto for W is Whatever Whenever and they meet that goal. Always willing to to help make your stay convenient and comfortable from the front desk crew to the concierge desk. The memorable staff at W NY is always the Bellmen / Valet who are the first to meet you curbside as you arrive and there to say "goodbye safe travels home, hope to see you again" as you get back into your car or cab to the airport or the train home. Darron is one if those greeters who seems to be outside the hotel day and night all year long - always greeting guests with a big friendly smile, helping with your bags, flagging a cab, giving directions and advice and just going out of his way to ensure you had a great experience at the W. It is staff like Darron who make a top notch hotel not only classy and business friendly but also a comfortable home away from home in bustling Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi there Steve,

Thank you so much for your post! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience and had the opportunity to receive our Whatever/Whenever service! Your feedback is definitely appreciated, and I have shared your lovely comments with the rest of our team. Please drop me a line at paul.gambardella@whotels.com, when you plan on returning.

All the best,

Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The "W" on Lexington Ave., NY is one of the best hotels we have stayed in in all of the US. Our experiences, time after time, have been some of the best experiences ever. The accommodations are awesome; the overall feel of the hotel, the spa, the workout facility, restaurant, bar, all rate quite high. But our repeat visits are based, entirely, on the consistency of the customer service we have experienced. Ms. Edna Barkley is one of the most caring and compassionate customer service representatives we have ever experienced; attentive from the moment of check in, to check out! Thank you "W" Lexington, NY for Ms. Barkley!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have stayed in other NY hotels. This for us is tops. The rooms are second only to the W in Times Square but about $100 a night cheaper!
You will not be disappointed. This is a cool place for discerning people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lexington Ave.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple