“One of the best in all of the US”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #325 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The "W" on Lexington Ave., NY is one of the best hotels we have stayed in in all of the US. Our experiences, time after time, have been some of the best experiences ever. The accommodations are awesome; the overall feel of the hotel, the spa, the workout facility, restaurant, bar, all rate quite high. But our repeat visits are based, entirely, on the consistency of the customer service we have experienced. Ms. Edna Barkley is one of the most caring and compassionate customer service representatives we have ever experienced; attentive from the moment of check in, to check out! Thank you "W" Lexington, NY for Ms. Barkley!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have stayed in other NY hotels. This for us is tops. The rooms are second only to the W in Times Square but about $100 a night cheaper!
You will not be disappointed. This is a cool place for discerning people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lexington Ave.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I lucked out by getting this hotel thru a Internet bidding site. I would never pay full price for this hotel but we found the location great, atmosphere and cleanliness excellent and most of the staff was friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights over Labor Day weekend for the US Open. I was a little nervous about some of the reviews, and I am not a Starwood member, but got a great rate through AAA so I decided to take a chance... I'm very glad I did, and will use this hotel again for my annual US Open trip.

I was able to check-in two hours in advance to a Wonderful room on the 14th floor without having made a special request. Front desk staff were pleasant and friendly, even though the hotel was clearly busy and full for the weekend. The room was average-sized for New York, to be quite honest, and perfectly comfortable for me as a solo traveler. I have stayed in both smaller and larger rooms at various other 4 star hotels in the city. If you have not stayed in NYC before, you may find the room quite small. It was clean and well-kept; I had no problems with housekeeping at all for the duration of my stay. The bathroom was on the smaller side but there was plenty of space for my personal items. The tub was slow to drain but I have found this in almost every hotel I have ever stayed in. I did find it interesting that the W does not offer The Tennis Channel, even though it is a player and staff hotel for the Open.

The hotel was quite full for the weekend so naturally there were some wait periods for the elevators, but nothing out of the ordinary for a holiday weekend in a popular midtown location. GCT was a short walk away and there are loads of restaurants/diners/conveniences nearby.

I did not need any special accommodations and I did not need to use any of the W's many features, so I cannot comment on those... I really just needed a clean, comfortable place to sleep at night and shower in the morning while spending all day at the tournament, and the W fit the bill perfectly. If, like me, you are a low-maintenance traveler who needs a clean and safe place to stay for an event or while exploring the city, the W will suit your needs just fine.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to have less noise -- I was on the 14th and had no problems with excessive noise...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Only stay here if you plan to spend your entire stay in the lobby, because once you depart from there the hotel resembles a dark, cramped and dirty SRO. Rooms are tiny, carpet is ripped, sheets are stained, garbage from previous guest was still in room, bathroom is less than utilitarian, tub is slippery, lighting is poor --lamp broken, even on a high floor was noisy--ConEd working all night on street outside. And all of this for a mere $600 per night! Complaints were handled indifferently. Even check out was cold, when I asked for a copy fo my bill the clerk looked at me as if I had two heads. (And never was there a question of: how was your stay---they must have known!)

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PATRICIA S R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I travel extensively and have stayed at the W Hotel many times in the past. Yes the rooms are small but I always liked the hotel. However the last few times I stayed I felt like it was really showing its age and then when I stayed in May the plaster fell off the ceiling next to my bed while I was sleeping. I had noticed some stain on the ceiling when I arrived in the room but thought it was just age and then I heard a crash while I was sleeping and woke to find a good bit of the plaster on the floor. That is it, I will not stay here again until they upgrade the rooms and invest some money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ScottK28
Reviewed September 17, 2012

While I was there an article came out saying this is the #1 place for spouses to take their paramours. The hotel has a nice lobby but the rooms are nothing special and actually are a dull grey color that you question cleanliness. I wouldn't stay here unless I got a special price. I was ok with my stay because I got a decent price on Priceline. The food was expensive. Go out the door and down the side street and you'll get better cheaper coffee.

Room Tip: No pool here. The workout area was decent but not great-not much tv selection on the treadmill/bike...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family