“If you like to combine your hotel with a night club”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #319 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Like almost every W Hotel, the W on Lexington Avenue in New York City has small, but beautifully appointed rooms. Like most other W's, their business strategy seems to be directed at getting you out of your room and into their bar ... for not so inexpensive drinks. Every time I walk into this hotel lobby in the evening, I swear I am walking into a night club. But, it is in a great location and gives good service and has a nice gym for guests.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank proakes
There are newer reviews for W New York

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Location: This location was perfect for my business trip - within easy walking distance of all my meeting locations.
Staff: Front desk staff was fine, the bellmen were unprofessional (not friendly, really dragged their feet)
Bar: Had good drinks and friendly waitresses, but the seating was not the best, the atmosphere was good, not great
Room: Very small (it IS New York!) but really comfortable. They definitely made the most of the space and had energy efficient touches. I liked the decor very much. The bathroom didn't seem exceptionally clean - the back edge of the counter had dust on it, and I felt like the floor could have used some scrubbing. It wasn't filthy by any means, just maybe could use a good scrub-down. The rest of the room was very clean.
I had about an hour to kill one afternoon, so I hung out in the lobby/lounge area, which was pretty comfy. Overall, I liked this hotel.

Room Tip: If you're not used to 24/7 car horns, jackhammers, and sirens, I'd say the higher the room t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mcsquirrel
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the W in New York for one night whilst on Business.

The hotel itself is in a great location and the reception staff were extremely friendly.

I was disappointed with the room which was very small and parts of it are very dated - particularly the shower which is extremely basic. If I was paying the $540 for a one-night stay in New York I'd certainly be looking at any alternatives.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Toppo16
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Having stayed in several W in the world (like Barcelona and Taiwan), I have been really disappointed by the W New-York. It doesn't in any sense compare with the others, it is not trendy, the service is poor (welcome far from W standards, no room service to prepare the rooms for the night, bar not very exciting...) and the rooms are extremely small (it is hard to stand between the walls and the bed...)and look already worn out. There is not even a soap holder in the shower to put the shower products and the air con was very noisy. The price quality ratio is probably one of the worse I had in NY.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NomadeModerne
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had 6 members of my wedding party stay at the W first weekend in May 2012 and had the ceremony on the terrace of my extreme wow suite with 11 total in attendance. I cannot even begin to thank David, Renee, Marco, Ibelice, and all of the other wonderful staff members there who ensured that everything we could possibly think of (and some things they themselves thought of) was taken care of. They even went out and bought a pair of scissors for us as we needed them to make my bouquet! We were so welcomed and the hotel is beautiful with some really neat features in the suite like XM radio throughout (or IPod) including on the terrace. The décor is chic and contemporary and the Bliss products in the bathroom were delightful. Getting champagne handed to you in the lobby for free is certainly nice, too! My wedding weekend could not have been any more perfect thanks to great friends and family and the W Hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank venushr
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had situation where I left my iPhone in my room when i was checking out and Jessie, the woman who was apart of the cleaning staff for my room, tracked me down and went all the way to the street to make sure I had it. She was very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure I had exactly what I need. Excellent service. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank rachell8
Reviewed May 7, 2012

First time (and probably last time) in a W hotel. Stayed here for two nights. Had a room which was pretty much the size of a double bed, had to squeeze down a wall to get to the far side. Also woken up by noisy neighbours at 3 or 4am. Could hear clearly their conversations.
Stupidly left my ebook reader in the room on checkout and they have been unable to find it, even though I called only about 4 hrs after leaving.

Fortunately I was on a work trip, having seen the price they paid i would definately not consider it worth the luxury price tag.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business