“Beautiful people -- efficient and greatly located. Expensive!”
Review of W New York

W New York
Ranked #326 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Just what you'd expect from a W - modern sleek rooms (not huge though). Very hip lobby bar (and super expensive, but who cares when in NY?) It's worth it just to watch the cool people lounging. Great location, can get to everything NY has to offer. Concierge staff the best! Great diner around the corner (exit hotel, go right, to corner, go right 1/2 block) for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,576)

Reviewed June 18, 2011

6 hours in a bus from the Cape and we were ready for to relax. PS I would recommend a Peter Pan bus from Hyannis to New York much better than flying and a magnificent view as you approach the city.
Great welcome at the W Lexington Ave really friendly face with a great attitude. I think his name was Tim. Lobby and reception were what we were expecting and the sofas and chairs looked inviting in the bar area and we mentally promised ourselves a drink before dinner. From the lift to the room I knew the room would be small looking at the spacing in between the doors but small rooms don’t bother me as we have stayed in some really tiny ones in Paris but nothing prepared me for the shoe box we would be staying in for four days. You couldn’t open the curtains to let the light in due to the multi storey car park view. It was like staying in a cell. Monks would love it!! I had trouble getting around the bed avoiding the large television on a pole in one corner. We have shoe boxes that are bigger. No way could we u pack the bags as one door of the 4 contained the safe and another the mini bar. The closet was even smaller we hung up about 6 things and it was full. The carpet and tiles in the bathroom were dirty and the walls in the bathroom had heavy textured wall paper which hung on to all the splashes from the basin. I couldn’t dry myself in the bathroom just too small. We were kept awake all teh 1st night as the window would not close and teh noise from teh air conditioning was horrendous. Two call the next day did get it repaired but it was a rear facing room and the noise was only marginally better.
It was what I can only describe as the Emperor’s new clothes. Every one afraid of being uncool if they critique something that is labelled hip/ trendy. Nice design fittings do not make up for cramming people in to an unsafe space. Truly awful!. To make matters worse you try getting a seat in the bar when it is full of non-resident office types who hang about there after work taking up space from people staying. We gave up in the end and went to a local bar. Breakfast was no better in a dull really dull breakfast room with no natural light and just plain depressing we took to eating a diner down the avenue. Next trip to New York we will look elsewhere.
Best things were the welcome and the consierge who helped us get tickets to non broadway theatre it was down hill from there.

Room Tip: Dont Stay here!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patroclas
wnewyork541, Manager at W New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Welcome Patroclas,
Our goal is to provide our guests with memorable and enjoyable experiences from start to finish and we are truly sorry we did not carry out our promise. Thank you for your taking the time to post your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you felt welcomed into our hotel, as it is our hope that all of our guests feel as such. Nonetheless, we do apologize for your dissatisfaction with your accommodations and any other challenge you dealt with during your stay. I have shared your experience with our management team so we may look further into these issues, as we take all comments very seriously.
Warm Regards,
Nicole

Reviewed June 17, 2011

I will start with saying that every single staff member we met at the W was warm, welcoming, helpful and nice. They really couldn't have been better. Our room was the tiniest little room I've ever stayed in, but we didn't care about that. We weren't in NYC to hang out in the room. It was kind of funny that they promote in room dining though when there isn't anywhere to eat it. My only complaint about the room was that the lighting was dim. Sure, it looks nice, but not at all good for applying makeup. There wasn't one bright light I could turn on to see what I was doing. Other than that, no complaints. No complaints about the hotel itself.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2011

To be honest I had never heard of the W, and a friend invited me to stay for 6 days. The experience was unbelievable from the moment I arrived to the moment I ran out of the hotel to catch my train at Penn Station, I felt like royalty. Everyone there was willing to help with anything at any time. I will definately visit this hotel again, and now I tell everyone about it!! The concierge always recomended memorable spots with great food, and helped me with everything. The only downfall was your beds are so comfortable, I hate sleeping in my bed now!

Room Tip: All th erooms are amazing, I'm sure.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The W should stand for Why? why are you mopping tread mills at 6:45 AM and not drying them? Why Invite the guest to coffee and then charge for it? Why is the hotel so unhip? 80's are over, get back to serving your business cliental.

• Stayed: June 2011

Welcome Charlessouthey,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor community. We
are continuously striving to provide memorable and enjoyable experiences. It is guests like you who take their time to leave us comments that truly help us to improve our services. Again, thank you for your remarks as they will help further achieve our goals of excellent guest satisfaction.

Warm Wishes,
Nicole

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Moved here after a weekend with the family at the Marriott. Checked in early in the morning and asked to store my bags, but was able to get a room, which was great. Front desk person was the same as last year when I stayed here; she was very courteous, as she was last year when I had a billing issue. Elevator requires you enter your room key, which is a nice feature. Last year, there were staff people before the elevators who asked to see your key, but they were not present this year. Rooms are small and this time I had the smallest of small. They actually put a sign in the room advising they know it's small and they will be giving you extra points to make up for it . Very, very clean. Bilss products for which I was thankful as I ran out of my airline-size shampoo. View was of a wall. Overall quiet (12th floor), but ac unit was on the noisy side. I have stayed here several times and find it very reliable.

Room Tip: High Starwood levels get better rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2011

After day 2 we tried to move to a different hotel but could not find one--the W is horrible.Confirmed reservation for double--given a single and told they'd work on correcting it--we contacted manager and after about an hour did get moved to a double--then late that night a man tried to get into our room--they'd given him keys and booked him in same room. Room supposed to have coffee maker--finally got one after asking for it for 2 days -- but no coffee--it is an extra $11 a pot. Also got charged and extra $5 to get a coffee cup. We had drinking glasses for 2 days and then we got charged $5 on a day when the maid did not leave galsses and we had to call down and ask for more. We started washing and hiding glasses and coffee cups because they wanted to charge $5 extra to use one each day !! We also had to ask for extra clothes hangars-- the room comes with only 2. One day our room keys did not work--front desk said cell phones erased the magnetic strip. Room had bedside lamp and then on day 3 it was removed with no explanation and never replaced. On day 5 I found out the sheets were not being changed--small spill on a sheet and it was still there after the maid had been in. I asked and found out they don't change sheets until the guest leaves--we we're booked for 8 days. (we'd been tipping the maid every day--after that we left much smaller tips). Internet connection was $20 a day in a city where all other places have free internet. The room was very small and very noisy--crying child next door was horrible and there was a lot of noise in the hall at all hours. The W also extends it's mini-bar to covering a dresser top with snacks and a notice that says the snacks are on a pressure pad and we'd be charged if we moved any of the junk off the dresser top--no flat surfaces in the room to put anything on. The place tried to sound British calling the elevator a lift and bathrooms waterclosets but front desk clerks pretend to not understand English whenever we asked a question. We reserved the room for $289 a night for 8 nights but when we settled the bill we found a charge of $599 for one night with no explanation-- desk clerk actually walked away and turned her back on us when we asked her to explain the charge !!! We're still trying to get that corrected. We're in NY twice a year for confrences-- we've stayed in many NY hotels---this one was the worst ever. We booked a room here because we were in the city for longer than usual and wanted a really nice place-- never again.

Room Tip: never stay at the W New York
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business