“Superb From Check In to Check Out”
Review of Warwick New York

Warwick New York
Ranked #95 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jupiter, Florida
“Superb From Check In to Check Out”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Warwick New York Hotel is nothing less than superb from check in to checkout. I stayed here the end of January into February, 2014. The entire staff is great. The front desk is welcoming and they make sure any special requests are available. They and the concierges are very well versed on NY which is helpful even to frequent visitors.The housekeeping staff was especially accommodating during our 7 night stay which I really appreciated. My room was bright, well-appointed, and spotless. I like a room on a higher floor and there is no problem ever getting an elevator. The lobby in inviting and the bar is charming, great for food as well as drinks. My husband and I come to NYC at least twice a year and sometimes more and I am looking forward to my next stay here. I highly recommend this hotel. The location is great. It is easy to get a taxi or use the subway if you need them. I do both when in NY. There is Central Park, Columbus Circle, museums, shopping, dining, and of course the theater all within walking distance.

Room Tip: Outside rooms on the higher floors have a great view of the city and are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Warwick New York, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for publishing this wonderful review of our hotel. We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan to visit us again in the future.

Peter Walterspiel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was my first time in NYC and I am very happy about staying at the Warwick. Hotel is in a great location, close to everything so you can walk where ever you were going. Even if it is a city exploring or shooping. There’s a supermarket a block away and near to several subway stations. Close to museums like Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan museum and other places like a Rockefeller Center, Central Park.
Hotel have an individual charm. It is full of history. Very pleasant, friendly and competent desk staff and wait staff in Murals on 54 restaurant. Breakfast was large and good.
The room was lovely and extremely clean. Big enough and nice decorated. The bed was very comfortable and well lined.

Only down side the view was a brick wall of the same building.

Stayed end of January 2014

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Warwick New York, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post the review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor.com. We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and the services our staff provided you with. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here in Jan - 13deg outside, hotel was warm and very welcoming, everything you would want ,OK the view from the room was a wall from another building, but so what, I am not in NYC to look out of the window!.
The room itself on the 19th was very comfortable and bathroom spacious, to be honest all the staff we found to be polite and welcoming, they simply could not do enough.
Breakfast was a little bit chaotic as it was so busy but the food was nice when we were eventually seated, all in all we enjoyed our stay at a reasonable price and will return here on our next visit to NY.
Special mention to Christopher the wine waiter in the bar and of course Rob on the front desk (concierge) a mine of information, and so very courteous...

1 Thank Andrew W
Peter W, General Manager at Warwick New York, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing with everyone how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your specific comments about Christopher and Robert with them and they were thrilled to hear that they made a memorable difference. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Lake County, IL
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I’m writing this during my first stay at this hotel, in a newly renovated Traditional King room. I’m used to 4-star hotels, but on Super Bowl Weekend, this was one of the few rooms available in Midtown for a reasonable rate ($295).

The Good: Great location for my business event, with MoMA right down the street. Very pleasant/competent desk staff and wait staff in Murals on 54 restaurant, with terrific sprawling breakfast buffet for a (cheap by NYC standards) price of $29 plus tax/tip. (The total cost for one was around $34; the “package” of room plus full breakfast was about $35 more than a room only, so if you’re thinking about booking a package, be aware there are no savings.) There are actual open ice machine rooms so you don’t have to call room service for a bucket of ice (my pet peeve at places like Four Seasons). 24-hour room service, but seriously, $6.50 for a can of soda from the minibar? Fortunately, there’s a supermarket a block away. The main room is extremely large by NYC standards. There’s room for a full-size sofa and coffee table (too bad they didn’t include these; instead there’s an uncomfortable chair and useless side table). The bed is comfortable and well linened. Great cable selections with a decently-sized flatscreen, and free wifi for up to two devices.

The Bad: Tiny lobby with only few chairs in case you have to wait for someone. Housekeeping is mediocre; when I arrived, I had to brush crumbs off one chair, and there are stains on another. The new drapes are already stained and the rug needed vacuuming. All the drink glasses are small and the same shape (no tall coolers, no wine glasses, no coffee mugs). As is typical of older hotels, the main room doesn’t have enough electrical outlets, and those it does have look like they’re about to come out of the wall. You have to become a contortionist or else move heavy furniture to plug anything in (chargers, etc.) There is a power drawer in the desk but it was useless to me (ethernet computer jacks instead of proper grounded power outlets. Memo to hotels everywhere: want to wow your guests? Put in a row of surge-protected outlets in an easy-to-reach spot on the wall above the desktop.)

My biggest problem with the Warwick, though, is that the bathroom is needlessly tiny. If they’d carved two feet from the main room, which you wouldn’t even notice, it would have been light years more comfortable. As it is, there is barely room to turn around. No way could two people fit in there at once. And what space there is, is poorly designed. A shelf right over the single-lever faucet means you can’t even turn on the water all the way. A pedestal sink with two legs means you can’t open your knees when sitting on the toilet. The sink top is small; there is dangerously little room to set the hotel’s little glass glasses. (I could well imagine one falling off and shattering all over the stone floor.) It has to be very difficult to clean the floor well with that sink configuration, and an unnecessary lower shelf in the way. It would’ve been so much better to have a wall-mount sink with a deep countertop that runs edge to edge, with a set-back shelf or a break in the middle of the shelf above for the faucet to operate, and floor completely open underneath. You have to keep the toilet lid closed so that nothing will fall into the loo while you’re grooming—that’s how ridiculously tight it is in there. There is no place to leave used towels (which are coarse and cheap) except inside the shower stall. The magnifying mirror is set at an odd angle on a side wall and isn’t adjustable so that you can’t do more than one eye’s worth of makeup, plus it’s not lighted. Very impractical. The hairdryer is small and cheap (lots of heat but little air flow-through) and has a burning smell the moment you turn it on. In short, there was no attention to detail re the users’ comfort in the design choices that were made. I don’t know how a couple who needed to get ready to go out at the same time could manage. The shower stall is decently sized, but the water pressure is problematic. On the Saturday morning I showered here, there was very little pressure, then big bursts of air would come through and erratically spit down on me about a dozen times before settling down to a low stream again. Adjusting the shower nozzle spray pattern didn’t help; it’s a building water pressure issue. You can also see that their renovation work wasn’t very high quality, as chunks of the granite are already popping out of the tile (sign of cheap grade of stone) and the caulking is already pulling away from the corner joints inside the shower stall. Lastly, there is a big stone-covered step up from the main room into this tiny bathroom. Forget a stubbed toe in the middle of the night (no night light provided), more like a broken toe waiting to happen.

Note to Management: next time you renovate the rooms, please get some customer input. The only way I would stay here again is if I were alone; I couldn’t deal with the bathroom issues if my husband were with me.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms with larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Warwick New York, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you very much for your very detailed review of our hotel. I thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts, specifically about the bathroom in your room, which we will certainly take into account the next time we plan a renovation. If there is ever anything I may do for you please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Monroe Twp., NJ
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were lucky enought to get the hotel's Black Friday sprecial rate. We arrived around noon and were happily surprised to be able to get into our room. Room was very nicely appointed and extremely clean, Only down side the view was a brick wall of another building. This was not a big deal for us. It is in a great location, close to everything so you can walk where ever you were going. Great staff that was helpful and very courteous. Would definately recommend and will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your experience. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to many more visits in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had booked a four night stay with my partner for her 50th Birthday, the staff were amazing, the bed was to die for, the room was lovely, if there is one very small criticism the bathroom was a tadd on the small side and the bath towles could do with being just a little bigger, but that aside loved the place, great location loved it loved it loved loved it, you wont be dissapointed, must say a big thank you to Francina on the front dest who arranged Champagne and strawberries to be delivered to our room on the morning of my partners birthday a truly excellent experience, thank you one and all at The Warwick would highly recommend and would certainly go back ther again loved it

Room Tip: We requested a high floor room to avoid traffic noise, request a coffee maker on arrival if you like...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for having selected our hotel as the place to celebrate your partner's 50th birthday. I am really happy to hear that you both had a good time and enjoyed our location and your stay with us. Please come and see us again the next time you travel to New York City.

Saskatoon
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Warwick hotel had a lot of space and was close to everything; Broadway, Central Park, Subway station, Avenue of the Stars, Macy's….. this is a great hotel.

The view from the room was great as well.

If you want a nice clean hotel in the heart of NYC, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaskatoonCND
Peter W, General Manager at Warwick New York, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us last September and for taking the time to write about your experience. We look forward to your next visit.