“Unexpected Nasty surprises!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #205 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Main Beach, Australia
“Unexpected Nasty surprises!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

After travelling 20 + hours from Australia, I arrived at the JFK airport. Last minute confirming my reservation with "The Time", the receptionist said that my room is ready and available. Upon arriving at 2:00am New York time, I was greeted by drunken party-goers in the lift, people sprawled out on the floor of the front foyer and a young gentleman at the counter.

Lugging my suitcase to the foyer (Doorman was smoking outside and didn't offer to take my bags), I checked in. The young man at the counter advised me that my room was unavailable and he was unconvincingly "sorry". After arguing with him and creating a scene, he decided to put me into a sister-accomodation room for the night. He told me that it was a short taxi ride, to which he did not offer to pay for until I pointed it out that it was the company's fault.

Not knowing anything about New York City and travelling on my own, I was standing outside in the rain next to the doorman who, after 5 minutes, walked back inside because he needed a "coffee".

After staying at the sister-accomocation, I returned to "The Time" and demanded to speak with the manager. My meeting with the manager was successful after brief banter back and forward expressing my disappointment with their company; I was upgraded to a suite for the remainder of my stay.

The week went well, doing all of the tourist sight seeing and watching the Broadway shows; The room was comfy, had a view of the top of another building with exposed ventilation ducts and overcast skyline.

The "Time" finally came to leave and I had packed my bag, walked out of the room, down to reception and remember that I had forgotten my money bag (for tips, etc) and a couple of musical score books. Running back up to the room, to my lack of surprise, the room had been made over and everything was gone.

There was a cleaner in the hallway and I asked them if they had taken the things that were inside of my room, they pretend to not speak English and made it fairly obvious that they had no idea what was going on; So I spoke to them in Spanish and low and behold they knew....go figure. All of my belongings had been put into a plastic bag inside of the cleaner's closet, pressed under their backpack...I am sure for returning later......

Once again I was in the manager's office, complaining about the service of the "Time". The manager gave me a formal complaint report to fill out because they had.."technical issues" about reprimanding the cleaning staff in the Hotel.

All in all, the food at the ground level was average and overpriced, the service fluctuated and I would NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't settle for being "bumped", make sure you let them know that your v...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
9 Thank o-Traveller-M-o
Time_Hotel_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Time New York, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear o-Traveller-M-o,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on you recent stay. I apologize for your experience and I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied. I know that sincere words of regret and apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. However, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. If you would like to provide more details of your past visit so that we can improve please contact me at dgiandalone@thetimeny.com

Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great Staff!! Great location!!! My husband and I stay at The Time when visiting New York City. I think this will be our 5th year. The Staff is helpful and always welcoming. The rooms are clean and comfortable and we are close enough to Times Square without having the rush of people pushing us through the hotel doors. We love it!! Can't wait to be there on Jan. 10th!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gayle P
Dear Gayle P,

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at The Time Hotel! I'm glad to hear that you had such a pleasant experience, and we look forward to your next visit!

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located near Broadway, Times Square and various subway stations but the rooms are tiny, the decor tired and the "bathrooms" horrible! Staff were quite friendly and acceptably helpful - although they could not fully sort out our bathroom complaints. Charges for ticketing assistance from the concierge were expensive ($100) in our opinion.

Room Tip: Check quality of bathroom.
1 Thank Froggles5
Dear Froggles5,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding the service at The Time Hotel. It is through direct feedback like yours we can improve our service standards. I apologize for any inconvenience you had to go and do hope that you will join us again in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Pegomas, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've not been yet to The Time Hotel as my stay will start the 29th of december. But waht I can already say is that the team there has been very responsive and very helpful.
Charlie (Director of Front Office Operations) and Jay (concierge) have helped me to prepare my trip and I can say that I'm already more than happy about the service they offered me.

I don't know the inside of the hotel yet, but I can already say that the location is terrific as I already went in NY last year. So looking at the quality of the service, I already know that my stay can only be PERFECT.

Will give a more detailed review after my stay

2 Thank Jeff-pego
Dear Jeff-pego,

I am happy that we were able to help you before your stay and I hope that you had a great experience and that we will be able to welcome you back in the future!

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights at The Time this December. The staff were very friendly and helpful including arranging a hire car for the rest of our stay and transport from the airport to the hotel. The location was excellent being right in Time Square, next to Broadway and only a short walk from Central park, 5th Avenue and the Rockefeller and Empire State buildings.
The room was a great disapointment and we asked to change rooms but the hotel was full. We really considered checking out and finding another hotel. The room was a very small box room with a long corridor. There wasn't space anywhere in the room to even open your suitcase fully, they had to be lifted onto the bed each time you wanted to open them. The carpets were dirty with stains and dust and the air con unit was coming away from the wall and the vent was full of old dust. The walls were dirty and in need of paint and covered with holes from knocks and scrapes. The bathroom was tired and the floor tiles moved around when you walked on them. The hotel advertised high speed wi fi and charged you $6 a day to use it but it was very very slow. The TV wasn't tuned in and any channels we could find had poor signal strength. The hotel advertised movies on demand but when I enquired about this I was told it wasn't available. I know you don't go to New York to stay in your room but after a full day sight seeing etc somewhere nice to relax in is important. This room was not somewhere nice. Would I stay at The Time again? No. The best thing about this hotel were the staff.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lmlmlmjm
Time_Hotel_Manager, Manager at The Time New York, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear ImImImjm,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed Time’s location. Like you, most of our guests are thrilled to discover that the hotel boasts one of the best addresses in NYC and is located within a short walk of all of the major attractions of the city. I am very sorry and disappointed that you were not satisfied with the rest of your experience. The issued outlined in your post are inexcusable and will be addressed with our management team. Please note that our ultimate goal is complete guest satisfaction and I apologize that we missed the mark.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and provide you with an experience that is memorable for the right reasons. Please contact me personally, so that I can be of assistance with making the necessary arrangements.

Best regards

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The location was excellent close and convenient to theater. The room was very small but the service was great. We had a plumbing problem and the staff responded immediately and apologized profusely. The concierge took care of our every need. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. The room had no view but the hotel was less expensive than other Times Square hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evcull
Dear Evcull,

De Kalb Junction, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here 12/1/12 with my two daughters and two grandchildren. It was great! There is a parking garage directly across from the hotel where we parked our car and then we were able to walk to Time Square, Radio City Music Hall, Empire State Building and more. We had a king suite and were very comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly. Oh and we were able to leave our luggage even after we checked out for a small fee. We had dessert in the restaurant and it was amazing. The only negative was that our shower was only lukewarm.

1 Thank maryb433
Dear Maryb433,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us at The Time Hotel! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Until next time, happy travels!

Best,