“Lovely Mercer Hotel, just one glitch!”
Review of The Mercer Hotel

The Mercer Hotel
Ranked #349 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin
“Lovely Mercer Hotel, just one glitch!”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I just returned from a 3 night stay over New Years Eve in the Mercer Hotel. Overall I would have to say it is an excellent hotel of high calibre.

All the staff are courteous and polite. From the receptionists to the door man who helped us with our bags, they were very polite and all appreciated tips etc, as opposed to alot of other hotels in NYC where the staff can be rude and practically count the tip in front of you.
Our room was a suite, it was lovely, very comfortable and modern. Room service was excellent. When we had a problem with the heating in our room, a techinician arrived in 10 minutes to fix it. The restaurant is excellent.

The only thing I noted which was not quite up to scratch for this level of hotel was the cleaning of the room was below par. For example not cleaning the table in our room after breakfast, they just seemed to make the bed everyday,

Other than that, it was an extremely pleasant stay, it was very expensive but I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dubhessa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tokyo
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Room is soso, nice restaurant, but stupid hospitality. White female receptionist don't like Asians. When I was troubled by a swindler on the street infront of Mercer, I asked the female receptionist. But she said with cold voice "I don't know, It's your matter" . Fourseasons is much better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TokyoRick
London
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stayed 3 nights for a break to see friends and having tried many hotels in NYC finally chose the Mercer and it really is worth every penny. Booked a suite and was upgraded on arrival to a lovely high ceilinged room on the 2nd floor facing the road. I was concerned about the street noise but the rooms are triple glazed and even as a light sleeper it was fine. Bed very comfortable, great sheets, big bathroom with full size bath and shower. Friendly helpful service and good breakfast. Tried other hotels in the area including the Bowery and the Mercer is superior.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LuxuryLoverLondon
Rochester, NY
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We've been coming to NYC for years and I've always wanted to stay downtown - at the Mercer in particular. You cannot beat the location - so close to everything! We usually stay mid-town or uptown but always end up going to Soho to shop and downtown for dinner. My husband got me a gift certificate for the Mercer last Christmas and I finally got around to using it.

Service:
-----------
We arrived late afternoon and our room was not ready, which I expected. The staff took our bags and we continued on with our plans. I booked the Deluxe Studio but we were upgrade to a suite. The check-in staff was extremely helpful and courteous. They explained everything in the room and told us all the options available to us. The lobby is very welcoming. It has a very relaxed vibe, kind of like hanging out at a friends house. You can get drinks and/or food there. Within five minutes of sitting down in the lobby, I was approached by a waitress. When checking out, I asked if there was a business center so I could print my boarding passes for the flight home. They offered to print it out right then and there, putting the passes in a bright red envelop which made it really easy to keep track of. We ordered a rollaway bed and ironing board and iron which was all delivered within 15minutes. The rollaway even had a headboard. I hadn't booked any dinner reservations and asked if we could get into the Mercer Kitchen. I called at 6pm and asked they could get us in at 6:30 which they did. Don't know if it was the early time but we were starving and greatly appreciated the quick seating.

The Room
---------------
The room was gorgeous! Huge king size bed, which was soooo comfortable! Large living area and a dining area. High ceilings with large curved windows and a view of Mercer and Spring street. Very large bathroom with body sprays and a huge tub. We had fresh fruit, fresh flowers,a bottle of wine and a note from the manager waiting for us when we arrived. You can borrow DVDs and game consoles too. There were bathrobes and slippers (cleaned & sealed). At night, the light candles and draw the blackout shades (which worked very, very well). Our room was on the street, not on the courtyard, but it wasn't that noisy at all. One really nice touch - they had Mercer stationary with my name printed on it.

The Restaurant
----------------------
The dinner was EXCELLENT and the service was great. It has a great atmosphere - dark, brick, chic with an open kitchen. The next morning I had planned to go to Balthazar for breakfast. The wait was 45 minutes so we walked back and decided to have breakfast at the Mercer. We got a great seat next to the window. Again, great friendly service and the food was delicious! One of the best cappucinos I've ever had. Very fresh fruit - including figs which I LOVE!

Yes - its a pricey hotel and I would not have normally picked it because of that. But now, having stayed there, I will DEFINITELY go back again to the hotel and to the restaurant. It may have ruined all other hotels for me.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank sdangelo
Dublin
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel many times over a number of years. I missed out last year because Fashion Week happened to be on when I was in New York and the Mercer was booked up. I had to stay in the Bowery Hotel. I much prefer the Mercer. The staff here are so professional and helpful and the hotel itself is one of the most tranquil places you can find in Manhattan. I love the fact that only residents can drink or eat in the lobby bar, which means that there is always somewhere to sit and lounge around. I also like the laid back atmosphere and the fact that if you need any assistance the staff are always able to help - from suggestions for restaurants to finding some of the city's less well know treasures such as the new West Highline park. I cannot understand previous reviewers' suggestions of "attitude". I have never experienced that with the staff. Service is always propmpt and attentive even when corresponding by e-mail. I made endless changes to my reservation this year and all of them were dealt with promptly and patiently by Elly Khait. ~
As for the rooms themselves, I like their combination of comfort and style; the latter has not changed in all the years that I have been coming here. It is nice that there are no gimmicks; no glitz; and no charges for soft drinks from the mini-bar. The soundproofing on some rooms could probably be better but this is New York and the hotel is on the side of the street so perhaps there is not much can be done about. A courtyard room is worth requesting but they seem more difficult to get now than previously !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Irishguest
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2009

The Mercer is great.
Fantastic location near to good subway connections, easy to get a taxi and close to the really interesting shopping areas.
The food is good and not to expensive including the room service which is quick and delicious. Rooms are more spacious than most NY hotels (never stay at the Paramount if you like space!)
the only downside is that you have to hunt about a bit to find the more reasonably priced restaurants as it is in a touristy area of NY. LOVE the fac that you get a free pass to the very close by Equinox gym, so much better than some sad small hotel gym.
Staff very friendly and remembered me from my stay a year before.
Also the black out blinds and double glazing really block out all of the sun and most of the city noise so its very peaceful too.
Delicious cocktails too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Initially booked into Hilton NY, which quickly turned out to be a massive error on our part. Changed to the Mercer. Staff, hotel, everything excellent. Most NY hotels are pokey, tatty and with terrible kitchens. The Mercer is none of those things, and as a result is head and shoulders above the rest. If you go to NY and are able to, stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple