“A Stay In The Life of The Mercer” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mercer Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Mercer Hotel
Ranked #340 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“A Stay In The Life of The Mercer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We arrived in SoHo to do some Christmas shopping. Our cab pulled up to a door void of any sign and a doorman dressed in all black opened the cab door. A group of people on the street were all vying for our cab so he fended them off and made an opening for us to reach the door. Our "celebrity status" was quickly dismantled when we reached the front desk. The staff stared like zombies into computer screens while the bellman broke them from their silence to check us in. The girl went though the motions and waived us to the elevators. The very dark elevators. So dark that you could not see the buttons. While still trying to find our floor the doors closed and the elevator started moving. The doors reopened and there was the bellman! Hoorah! Here again to save the day!

He showed us into our tiny modern and minimal room (but in a good way like "less is more"). I felt like I was moving into a studio apartment in SoHo. A marble wet bar stocked with everything from candles to cognac. The most amazing alarm clock ever. Posh magazines and books to inspire our stay. Oh and a bathroom right out of the show, nip/tuck. Cookies, fruit and flowers adorned the table for my mom's birthday.

The following days the front desk "girls" as I will call them continued to be part of a social club with each other. A "click" of which the guests were not allowed to join or interfere with. The elevators were down when we return to the hotel that afternoon. We inquired about the stairs and they told us to use the elevators. When we told them that the other staff member told us the elevators were not working they told us that he didn't know what he was talking about. We went back to the elevators and again they did not come. Another staff member walked by and told us to use the stairs again so we again inquired as to where they were. Following his directions we ended up in a service area with everyone staring at us but no one offered to help. After climbing 6 floors another staff member on the 6th floor told us that the stairs were not for guests and that we were to use the elevators. We told him that they were down. He denied the fact. For the cost of a room at The Mercer, I will use the stairs whether the elevator is working or not.

The next evening we went to the Mercer Kitchen for dinner. Another amazing space with equally amazing food. (If there is one thing this hotel can do it's pump out great food in a timely manner.) After dinner we walked back up to the lobby where we asked if someone could take our photo. We were told that the hotel has a policy against taking photos in the lobby. Not even an offer to take the photo someplace else. It had become apparent that we were interfering with their computer screen starring so we went back to our room.

Room Tip: We were in room 603 right above the front entrance to the hotel. The room provided a great view of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank 303CarryOn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

If you want to stay in SoHo, you have a couple of options. The best, by far, is Mercer. The crowd is very hip and trendy, but the service is very personal. The food at the mercer kitchen or anywhere in the hotel is very good. Much more interesting than Trump and by far a better choice than SoHo Grand or any of its peers!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Gudleiv
Oslo, Norway
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,609 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed for one night a few days ago and although I would not mind coming back, I am not holding my breath. There really is not much to complain about - except maybe the poor lighting in the elevator ( I´ll bring my night vision goggles next time). The problem is that the Mercer did not tickle my senses. Beautiful lobby, nice rooms, nice staff - but not very nice ( they will not get an Oscar for acting sincere about their welcome wishes; no offense taken). For 700 dollars a night I would expect more, but this is New York - not Bangkok.

That said, now I know what to expect and the Mercer was good enough to try it one more time. I think.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Imedvindfranord
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Truly outstanding engaged staff, their actions to execute guest requests is unparalleled. Contemporary luxury rooms fill an understated theme of decor! Room amenities are of extraordinary caliber and quality! Numerous neighborhood conviences very close. High end International flavor to guests visiting this hotel. I will be returning on an upcoming visit to Manhattan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mbmuscle
aberystwyth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Just left the Mercer an hour ago, and it was wonderful from start to finish. My daughter treated me for my 50th birthday, and from the time we walked in there to the time we left we were treated like royalty. When we got to our room there was a bottle of wine and a birthday cake waiting for me. We arrived early so could not check in, but they were happy too take our bags, and ring us when we were ready and had already deposited our luggage in our room. The rooms are immaculate, and they even came to turn down our bed and left water for us while we were out. The staff couldnt do enough th help. I would recommend the Mercer to anyone who wants to treat someone special, and would stay there all the time if I could afford it !

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mandy C
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Mercer is a hip, chic hotel, but there was something about it that I found cold, almost antiseptic. Our room was small, very stark white, except for a moss colored sofa that had a few stains on it. The bathroom is luxurious, but again, reminded me of an operating room, right down to the metal cart with toiletries on it. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was all well appointed, but I did not find the atmosphere cozy, warm or in any way romantic. When we checked in the room darkening shades were drawn and I thought it was really depressing. Very disappointing for a rare one night getaway with spouse. They did graciously send us a bottle of champagne when they found out we were celebrating our anniversary. I guess it just wasn't the right hotel for me.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room they have, we had a deluxe king suite and it was pretty small.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jkbmb
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

first of all, sorry for my English... sorry for my spelling...
why go to the Mercer when you can go for the same price much better service, much bigger rooms, no attitude what so ever, inclusive of breakfast... to mention a few reasons?????
I checked in early in the morning after a long international flight. i nice gentelman ehich i am sorry i neglected to take his name greeted me and explained to me that at this hour my room is not avalable. I told him i totaly undrstood, and since I came for 7 nights he should take his time choosing my room, and not give me the first one available. Suddenly out of no where rushes in Kelly and with all the amount of attitude possible says: "excuse me! our policy is not to give rooms before 3PM" ofcourse me and the guy who checked me in were in shock! since i knew that she will be the one to choose for me my room, I just explained nicley once again that i am in no rush.... that was checking in....
Last day... checking out, after 7 nights with no contact with the front desk...
Angie, this time... i requested a late check out at 3.30PM, Angie said she can only extend my stay till 2 because someone reserved my room, she asked if this helps me, I said no, since Im traveling to Tel Aviv even 5 minutes the luggege wont be with me the wole security prosses gets very long and tierying... I asked her to move us to a different room, she said they were fully booked (i checked their website, there were rooms in all catagories... lier!!!!).
finally i offered to pay. Guess what dear Angie said??? no problem, that will be a full day rate. Full day rate!!!!! not half? no!!! full day rate!!!! I left the front desk without a word.
Last year i stayed at the CROSBY STREET HOTEL, what an amazing hotel, same price by the way (they were fully booked this time, no wonder why), double the size of the room, double the size of the bathroom, amazing breakfast, every day or every other day they send you something to your room, they go out of their way to let you know how much they appriciate you choosing them. the exact opposite then the mercer. the room at the mercer was tiny, the decor was depresing, the bed was queen size rather then the king at the Crosby. then why stay at the mercer? for me it was the first and last time, I preffer businesses who appreciate my money and do not take it or me for granted.

Room Tip: dont come!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends