“Consistent, comfortable, clean and safe”
Review of Larchmont Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Larchmont Hotel
Ranked #354 of 467 Hotels in New York City
maryland
“Consistent, comfortable, clean and safe”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have reviewed the Larchmont on several occasions and and this facility remains my top pick in NYC. The location is unbeatable. On a residential block in the Village, it is safe and easy walking distance to a number of subways. You need to open three separate locks to gain access to your room; one for the front, one for your hallway and one for your room. So the feeling of safety is omnipresent. The shower and toilet are down the hall but I have never had to stand in line. They are old but clean in fact some minor improvements since my last review. Rooms are small but as a previous reviewer said, why spend time in the room. If you have to however the TV works and the bed is very comfortable. The personnel were universally kind and polite. The only suggestion I would make to the management is to bring back some fresh fruit for the continental breakfast. They do have juice though. And endless coffee til 10AM. Take your own mug with you because if you are a world class coffee drinker, the Larchmont's cups are small. The newspaper is there in the breakfast room if you want to plan your day. Also, if you are not leaving right away, you can check out and they will store your luggage as you continue your time in NYC. Just come back later and pick up your bags. A great value. I will recommend and go there again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank greatpond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is a lovely, friendly place. Very European in style and feel. The rooms are tiny, but what are you doing hanging out in your room in Manhattan? The A/C and ceiling fan kept us comfy while we slept.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jill U
Denver
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great neighborhood feel with a library, subway stop, 15 minute walk to the Highline, nice gourmet grocery store, close to the bus line, and lots of restaurants. As other have said, the rooms are small, but probably will not be in your room much anyway. The shared bath rooms were always clean and the staff were helpful. They supply a limited breakfast. The French Press just up the street is a good alternative if you like a bigger breakfast. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank arvadadan_2000
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Close to the 14th st. subway station and in a great West Village area. Very nice treelined street and one half block from coffee, bars, restaurants, shoe repair, etc. Seems to fill up so reserve early as the price is right. The Continental Breakfast is quite adequate but did not vary much in the 7 days we stayed here. Rooms fronting on the street are larger and with a view but cost the most. Still reasonable for NYC. We would stay here again. Staff was friendly and helpful. Minor caveat: they were having trouble with the Dish Network so TV got only 4/5 channels but who needs it when in exciting NY.

Room Tip: Front rooms are good as street noise is not bad at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bill K
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here in May of 2013 when in town for the Book Expo. I couldn't believe the price once I saw the location. It really is in the heart of Greenwich, and close to everything. The staff was friendly. The room was tiny but perfect for my purposes. I had the cheapest room with the shared bathroom and it worked really well for me-- I'm short (5'3"), so the bed was actually really comfortable. It might be more difficult if you're tall. The shared bathroom was no problem- I think I had to wait ten minutes for a shower one time, which didn't bother me.

Also, there's free wifi and a serviceable breakfast. If you're looking to go to NYC on a budget, this is the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank peopleishalleat
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This place was very reasonably priced for the area, and we wanted to be in Greenwich so gave this place a go. I was also a bit dubious about the shared bathroom facilites but it was no problem, we were on the bottom floor and I never waited for the toilet or shower and although there were people in other rooms I didn't see them at all. The street noise was a non issue as well even on Saturday night when it was busy.

The room was very clean and although it was small, there was a small desk, queen bed, wardrobe, drawers and a sink. The sink was great as you could do your teeth at night without having to leave your room.

There was a free breakfast which was toast,bagels or pastries with tea and coffee which was enough to get us out the door and in to our busy days.

The location of this place was what I loved the most, and it is set in what I always imagined a NY street to be, it was like being in the movies! Very cute. A short walk from a huge array of restaurants and shops and about a ten minute walk to the train station. Very safe area with no trouble walking around at night, we felt very safe.

A good cheap option if you don't mind shared facilities

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Liz A
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed there with my boyfriend from Oct 10-14th. I had never done the shared bathroom thing so I was a bit nervous, but the bathrooms were clean each with its own toilet and shower. We stayed on the 6th floor. Room is clean and beds are comfortable, nice quiet area (you don't hear the all the buzz from the city) but with a lot of nice restaurants near by. Breakfast is mostly coffee/tea, juice and danish, but it's enough to start the morning.Would stay here again, nice budget stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple