“Excellent budget hotel in Manhattan”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #322 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Sometimes, I see reviews on Trip Advisor where readers expect that a hotel that gets five stars should be what the guidebooks call a five-star hotel. I give a hotel five stars here for being the best that it can be at what it's trying to do.

The Hotel Newton is not trying to be a luxury hotel. It's trying to be a great budget hotel and, in my opinion, it succeeds admirably. My husband and I stayed in a Superior Queen room that, while admittedly small, was scrupulously clean and up-to-date. The decor looked just like the picture on the hotel website, although our room was arranged differently than the one in the picture. We didn't mind the cramped quarters (there was just enough room to move around the bed) because, after all, no one comes to New York to spend all their time in the hotel room. The elevator is slow, but we never had to wait more than five minutes for it (we were on the 7th floor and taking the stairs was not an option due to health issues). For $140 a night, which is dirt cheap for Manhattan, we were more than satisfied.

We enjoyed the variety of restaurants that were within walking distance of the hotel, as well as the quick access to the subway. My husband especially enjoyed Symphony Space, across the street, which was showing restored Hitchcock films while we were there.

We would definitely visit the Hotel Newton again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol757
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2010

I thank you for your review and that is exactly our goal. We strive to be the best while maintaining our good rates. I am so happy that you were able to see these attributes. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reservations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

If you're looking for bath towels the size of a double bed, or fancy robes, you're better off somewhere else, but if you're looking for a clean, well-appointed, good-sized room in a hotel literally 30 steps from an express subway stop, you can't do better than the Hotel Newton.
My wife, daughter and I just returned home from a five day stay (our fourth), and we love this location. Between 94th and 95th on the Upper West Side, the hotel is an easy walk from some excellent shopping, restaurants and Riverside and Central Parks, but removed from the noise and crowds of mid-town.
That said, two stops (about six minutes) on the express train puts you at Times Square, and an affordable MTA pass gets you there and anywhere else in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx.
The staff has always been friendly and helpful. This time we couldn't get our a/c to work (and it was about 90 and humid the day we arrived). We called down to the desk and someone from maintanence was at our door immediately, and the unit was working within five minutes.
The old elevator is as slow as ever. This could be a problem for those with mobility issues. We just take the stairs. We can't wait to get back, and will definitely stay at the Newton again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank BoHep

Thank you for your honest review of our property. Many guests think of the Upper West Side and are automatically turned off if they are not in Times Square thinking that they are so far off. It is literally about 6 minutes away to the Times Square area and I feel our area has something that T.S does not and that is great local restaurants! Some of the city's best cuisine is located on the Upper West. We definitely look forward to your next stay with us and we are diligently working on plans for a new elevator so stay tuned!

Reviewed August 17, 2010

I love this hotel. This was my second visit. The rooms are small and the elevator is admittedly slow, but the rates are very reasonable, the staff is so nice and helpful, and the rooms are very clean. The bathrooms have been redone, so they are very nice, and the rooms have refrigerators, microwaves, and air conditioners. There are all types of rooms, and some are smaller than others. My friend and I shared a room with two twin beds. The size was adequate since we basically just slept there--and way cheaper than anything else I've found. The bus and subway stops are within 1/2 block, and the area is safe at night, so we took the bus home after the theater with no problem. There are lots of good restaurants (Longgrain, Telio, Popover cafe, City diner) within a few blocks--on Broadway and Amsterdam. I can't wait to visit again. Internet was $5/night, but considering the price of the rooms, that was ok.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank wandacleo

Thank you for your continued patronage of our property and we look forward to hosting you for many years to come! Thank you for mentioning some of the local restaurants as I believe our area has great restaurants at great prices. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

The Newton hotel is good situated. It is 10 seconds walking distance from the metro station (96th station). There are McDonalds and Starbucks near the hotel. The rooms are ok - clean, (equipped with microwave, coffee machine, TV, air conditioning, fridge, iron and hair dryer) BUT they are very small. Quality of sleeping was average, because the air conditioning was loud and the bed was not very comforable. Wireless internet was not complimentary and we paid also for luggage lockers in the luggage room.
But globally I would recommend this hotel, because of good situation and price. I know - it is pretty expensive, but it is still less expensive than lots of other hotels in Manhattan.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments and I am pleased that your stay was an overall success. For your next stay, please look into our Deluxe room category as the rooms are huge compared to most New York properties. If you are ever at our property and you are having ANY problem with the A/C please let us know and if our maintenance staff can't fix the situation, we will replace it immediately. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

You cant beat the location. Steps from the subway and many great restaurants and shops. The building is old and during the heat wave that I was there the air conditioner got a big workout but it was clean and quiet. The staff were nice and friendly even after I left and had an issue with my credit card company. Big Thanks to Emilio for his quick help.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Thank you for your great comments and I personally thank you for your compliment! We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Hotel on main road situated only yards from a metro station, great for tourists when using the day or week passes for the metro trains or buses. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was very small dark and somewhat claustrophobic; it had a shared bathroom though fortunately we had sole use during stay.The accommodation in general had probably seen better days, the air con unit was VERY noisy; had to switch off despite the high temp & humidity that weekend. Bathroom was small but very clean and of a good standard. All in all if you are spending all of your time sightseeing then its OK. Lastly some decent restaurants very nearby if not eating in town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We just got back from our trip to Manhattan. I must say that the whole experience was worth all the blisters my kids and I got on our feet from doing a lot of walking. I have to say that our stay at Hotel Newton is quite an experience on it's own. My arrival did not look very good because of the problem with the subway system. We could not unload our luggages in front of the hotel because the city is using the front of the hotel to transfer passengers from the subway. Other than that, everything else is good. We spent too much time exploring the city that when we get back to our room, all we wanted to do was rest for the night and get ready for our next day activities. After the first day, the noisy AC unit did not bother us at all. It actually probably help dampen down the noise from the street, if there are any. The elevator was never an issue for us because of the hours we got in and out of the hotel. It's also nice to see that they are doing some kind of renovation when we were there.
The cleanliness of the unit and the size of it, makes it all worth it. The small fridge, microwave and coffee maker in our unit is also a big plus for me. The staff are very friendly, make's it even more pleasant place to stay. And I need not mention that the subway is but few feet away from the door of the hotel, this makes going home late very convenient.
I definitely will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any of my friends!!!...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family