“My Kinda Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #293 of 478 Hotels in New York City
denver
“My Kinda Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

A very good value! I was raised on the Upper West Side which is where this hotel is located so I have that built in attachment but the location, the neighborhood, the convenience and access and the cleanliness, friendliness and quality of the rooms make this an easy hotel for me to recommend.

Room Tip: Away from Broadway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter C
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your review! we look forward to your return to us.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Location is perfect - across the metro stop 96th street, lines 1, 2, and 3. There are a lot of restaurants and grocery stores around. Our room (superior double, #311) was located on the opposite side of the Broadway Ave, so it was quite. The room was clean, with a private bathroom, and in a very good condition. There is a big fridge, microwave, coffee maker as well as complimentary coffee. It's air conditioned. There is a storage if you need to leave your luggage ($4 - small and $5 - big). Central Park is a walking distance from this hotel The only complain is that the bed was not comfortable and it squeaks whenever you move. We also saw two big bugs in the bathroom. No free Wifi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megi68
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property and I am happy that all seemed well. If any guest ever has an issue with the bed creaking or comfortability, please let us know as we will look right into
it. I will personally apologize if you saw any bug at all as this is quite rare with us however, it is the change of spring to summer and sometimes with the open windows we do occasionally see one. We are extremely proactive with this and if we see one, we immediately take the room out of order for fumigation. I look forward to your return to us in the future.

Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

One Subway stop to our hotel and convenient location to Central Park and other attractions made this a good bet for our recent family stay. Room was large, quiet (no discernible street noise) if a bit sparsely furnished. Our room did include a bathroom and I believe was billed as a "junior suite", though the decor does not live up to that billing. Mini fridge is a convenient addition to reduce restaurant trip expenses. A/C worked well but was noisy. Bed very comfortable. Staff was pretty hands off, but that's New York for you. Watch out for the additional room charge to use the wi-fi; an unnecessary inconvenience in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kris P
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for your review and I see one issue that stands out and that is the hands off staff. This should not be chalked up New York style. We strive to stand out in customer service and I apologize if we did not. Please rest assured we will be mentioning this to our staff. It seems like you were with us during one of our storms in January and our staff were surely inundated with snow issues however each guest deserves attention and if one of our guests feel that our staff was not welcoming, we have failed. I surely hope you decide to come back to us in the future and give the Hotel Newton that second chance

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here in January this year, forgot to write a review on the place. I arrived during the January snowfall and it took me around four hours to get to the hotel from Newark Airport (I got the bus and got trapped in the snow on 5th Ave) but if i'd checked out the directions before i'd left home I could have probably made the trip in around a quarter of that time as it's very easy to get to from Newark Airport using the train and the subway, which I did on the return home. Subway station is less than a minute's walk from the hotel. Can't fault the hotel at all, has everything you need plus an excellent location for getting around New York. The rooms are nice and clean and extremely good value for money for the price I paid, around £50 per night in January I think, and that was for a double room with a private bathroom. Nice place, friendly staff and nice neighborhood - would recommend for future visits.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank GarryC66
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the review! We hope to see you soon again! tip to all prospective travelers, January and February are the best bang for the buck months to come visit us!

Emilio Morales
LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is an interesting old hotel. If you are familiar, with NY and enjoy the UWS, not a bad deal. Be aware that this is a shared bath hotel, so make sure you read in great detail when booking on travel sites. The shared bathroom was fine, very clean and never saw anyone else in the hallway. That being said, I thought I had a private room when I booked the hotel. The room was quiet, air conditioning was very good and the bed was great. The really spooky part of the hotel is the lift! Do not take this if you find yourself in a group of four or five, it was broken when I stayed there and was groaning with a crowd. By yourself, its pretty fast. The best places close by are Zabars and Barney Greengrass...super classic UWS delis. Subway is super close and the central park and Hudson River parkway are also near by.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank DannyWLA
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and I completely agree with you. I urge all guests to read all before booking. Our only room type with shared bath is the Standard Shared bath. We are really specific on this with all websites. We demand that all websites keep the actual name as Standard shared bath as we never want our guests to be surprised after arriving to us. We also put it into all descriptions with the reasoning but we always recommend reading the descriptions of the room as it will always be outlined there

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have been to New York about four times over the past few years and never stayed on the Upper West Side. However, finding a decent hotel at an affordable price in peak tourist season is always difficult. I searched long and hard and many of the affordable places only had a shared bathroom. So finding a hotel in a good location, with good reviews at an affordable price generated only a few names. I stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Newton in mid-June.

Pros: The main selling feature has to be the location. It is right outside the 96th Street Station on the 1-2-3 Red Line, so it is a great jumping off point for discovering NYC. It is quiet at night and we had no noise issues from traffic or crowds. It is a nice respite after spending a day among the hordes along 5th Avenue or Times Square. There are plenty of retail stores, restaurants and coffee shops along Broadway, so lots of places to eat, drink and shop. There is a 24-hour Drug Store next door, a liquor store across the street, and a grocery store a few blocks north. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The room we had was quite small in size (a Superior Double) but I am quite used to that in NYC. It had a small bathroom with a tiny, European-style bathtub. It was clean and functional, and the water pressure was great, and they provided decent toiletries including body lotion. There is a large closet which was a nice surprise, as well as a bar fridge, coffee maker and (surprisingly) a microwave oven. The alarm clock has an iPhone dock and the TV is a newer model flat-screen.

Cons: The room smelled a bit musty and I attribute that to the window air conditioning unit. There is no view to speak of, but hopefully, you don't need to spend that much time in your hotel room (we pretty much only came back to shower and sleep) if you are wanting to truly experience the city. They have wifi in the hotel but charge $4.95/day for Internet.

Conclusion: Aside from the musty smell of the room, I was quite happy with the hotel, and thought it was excellent value.

Tip: The Manhattan Diner two doors down is a great place for breakfast. But the best surprise on my entire trip was an eclectic Peruvian/Spanish/Chinese restaurant four blocks north of the hotel called Flor De Mayo (at 2651 Broadway). We stumbled upon this non-descript restaurant one evening when looking for a place to eat. They have authentic Peruvian roast chicken (Pollo a La Brasa) which was absolutely delicious (and was almost as good as the charcoal-broiled ones I've eaten in Lima, Peru). The prices were very reasonable, and the place seemed to be packed with locals. Best meal I had in all of New York.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Therichpeasant
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your great tips and recommendations for our prospective guests! I agree about the Rotisserie chicken place, it is amazing! The Upper West Side is full of great local restaurants and none are tourist traps. If you ever have a problem with the musty smell of the room, please let us know as we would want to change your room. We want you to feel comfortable at all times. The change of weather and huge rise in humidity sometimes does this. We hope to see you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have stayed at the Newton several times over the past 12+ years and my feeling is that it is a gem! Located on the upper west side, there is a neighborhood feeling, unlike the chaos of midtown. An added bonus is that the #1 subway runs straight down Broadway, allowing you to reach any destination quickly. I am a woman of a certain age, but take the subway everywhere alone, day or night. The hotel is small, rooms are smallish, but since I'm there only to sleep, on the go constantly, this is not an issue for me. The one time I encountered a problem was an extremely hot August day and the elevator was not working. I was on the sixth floor and they do not have a service elevator (or so they said) so I had to climb up and down the six flights. There are many choices nearby for dining - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Right across the street is a marvelous venue called Symphony Space with wonderful multicultural programs. I would highly recommend it and it is relatively cheap! Autumn is my season of choice in Manhattan, but I do get there two or three times a year (I live in Massachusetts). You cannot beat the Newton for the price and surroundings. Try it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jackie K
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our property and we look forward to many more visits to come! We are working on putting in a second elevator and hope that all goes through very soon. We have plans approved and are just waiting for permits.