“Great Location!”

Ranked #318 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Location!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a perfect location because it is away from the craziness of the city but next to a subway station that gets you to Times Square in just a few minutes! Diner next store and the cafe down the block offer good food at a reasonable price. Rooms are basic but are fairly large - I found it perfect considering we didn't spend much time in our room since there is always something to do in the city!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Danika C
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I love these hotel. The location is great very nice location with restorants, pharmacy and subway station very close. Just one train to times squere. Room old but very clean, and very nice service. We arrived early and they have storage room for logage until chech-in hour. I would stay there again!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kalert
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited Hotel Newton in January 2014. I was in NYC with my husband as part of our honeymoon and couldn't have asked for more.
The rooms are comfortable and of a good size. They contain a coffee machine, fridge and microwave, plus an en-suite bathroom if you select certain rooms. Also, if you're like me and like to sleep with the window open, you'll be pleased to know you can open the windows easily, breathe some air and listen to the sound of NYC.
There is a great, affordable diner next door (the Manhattan Diner) which does delicious food. There's also a Starbucks directly opposite the hotel, and a McDonalds less than a minute walk, if you're looking for fast food. The Thai restaurant (Longgrain) further along the block is also great.
There are vending machines throughout the hotel if you need a water or soda ($1) at any time of day or night, which I found convenient and used regularly.
The hotel is a 30 second walk from the subway station, which is convenient for getting around. I also found it to be walking distance to all the major sights (Central Park, Times Square, Empire State Building, etc.) however check the exact distances before you set off as you may personally prefer to take the subway.
The staff were polite and friendly at all times. Check-in was easy, as was booking our transfer to the airport.
As for price, it was one of the best quality hotels we could find in this price range. It had everything we wanted/needed, so there was really no reason to pay more.
I'm planning to visit NYC again later this year and will definitely be staying here again. I look forward to seeing you soon, Hotel Newton!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kate R
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you chose the Hotel Newton to celebrate such a special occasion and hope to be your home away from home the next time you visit the city!

Conn.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel is on the upper Westside of the city but directly across the street from the subway station so you can be downtown in a matter of minutes. I found the location to be great and convenient. The room was small but contained a micro wave, ref, iron and flat screen TV. We had the room with the private bath which was redone. I found the room to be clean, updated and well kept. It was very quiet. I did not hear any inside or outside noise at all. They supplied a hair dryer and a coffee maker as well. There is a really nice diner right next door that serves a variety of meals all day and the food is good and not pricey. They open at 6AM for early people. My only issue was the room was warm and you could not control the heat. The temp was 40 outside and we put the a/c on 75 to cool off the room. It actually made it comfortable and not cold. It you don't care about a warmer temp. you will be fine. The a/c didn't bother me as it made me comfortable. They have only one elevator which can run slow so don't wait until the last minute if you need to be somewhere fast.
I found the desk people helpful with directions, what subway numbers to take and any other questions we had. It is a great place and I will stay again on my next NYC visit.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a shared bathroom. We took the private bath. Be aware when booking. cheaper rooms us...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank BobConn.
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your review of the property. Our staff is ready at all time to help you plan your day the best way possible! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next stay with us.

Emilio Morales
Albany, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2014

although located near where we wanted to be, I later found other hotels within a block with accommodations that were about $50 less and offered more. the room was very hot with no temperature control. We supposedly had a "superior queen" which is shown on their website as having their own temperature control ....maybe they meant the old time steam valve on the radiator? the view was of the back side of 4 other buildings and the grate which, I presume, holds an air conditioner in the summer months had an old mangy moldy washcloth hanging over it ...my first glimpse i thought it was a dead rat. Bed was very soft, so as well as being hot, i was uncomfortable. Also, I could hear neighboring rooms water running when running sinks, showers, toilet flushing etc
I gave it a 3/5 mainly becasue the staff was pleasant and the room was clean... Might want to check out the days Inn around the corner for a better price/value. One last comment, they take an extra $20 dollars when you check in for telephone, wi-fi, etc ... claim they will be refunding it ...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a better view than 509
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Allen_from_Ghent
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your review sir. I think I had emailed you before when your review came into our website but I will comment here as well as I like our future guests to have a perfect understanding of each situation. I do apologize for the rag being left outside as there is no excuse for it. It may be a very small issue in hindsight however any issue left that makes our guests uncomfortable is important to us. In the future, if you have a heating issue, please contact our maintenance department as we have someone here 24 hours a day to help you with these issues. I have checked all logs and there was no complaint made regarding the heat. We could have also within minutes installed an ac in the room as we did for others. Regarding the mattresses, all of our mattresses are within a year old and we have firm mattresses in many rooms. If you have specific needs, a hotel needs to know this. Most hotels carry soft mattresses as the minority look for firm mattresses. We, at the Hotel can only help if we know the issues at hand. I always try to inform guests on these reviews that most issues could have been prevented if the hotel only knew. In this case, all issues could have been rectified except maybe the sound of running water or showers as that is quite normal in older buildings. We do our best to minimize this but it is quite impossible. Regarding view, as most hotels and buildings in New York City, we are surrounding on 3 sides by buildings so for our future guests, the only rooms that have a Broadway view are the Deluxe Queen rooms. If you are a guest that needs natural sunlight or would like a view, please reserve that room type. Lastly, every hotel in New York will charge an incidental fee upon arriving in case of use of wifi or food services or phone. This is quite normal and upon check out, whatever is not used goes directly back to you. I will apologize if our staff didn't quite explain that correctly but as it is common practice while staying in hotels, they sometimes forget to explain it and it should be fully explained. We wish you well in your future travels and hope you try the Hotel Newton in the future. If you do, please contact me personally and I will do my best to look at your preferences and accommodate you correctly.

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We wanted a medium priced hotel on the Upper West Side in Manhattan...and we found one. The Hotel Newton is a lovely, but small property on the UWS. The rooms are spotless and comfortable, and they are a "good" size by NYC standards. All the bathrooms have been modernized, and the front desk staff is very helpful. Location, location, location! Next to a subway stop, next door to an excellent diner, and within a short walk of all kinds of shopping. Since our son lives on the UWS, we will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank GEOHCleveland_OH
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review and we hope to see a lot more of you! we have so many frequent guests with children that live in the area. They become family to us and we are happy to have them! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I met a friend in NYC to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. The location was perfect 1/2 block from the subway (the 1,2,3 train). Starbucks across the street. Wonderful little dinners and bagel shops at walking distance, even a drug store next door for anything you may have forgotten to pack.
Walking distance from the Museum of Natural History and Central Park.
The staff was so friendly and we were so grateful that we got to check in early after taking the red eye from the west coast.
The building is old but refurbished, clean and updated. The elevator had an issue one evening but was up and working in the morning.
The room was small but this is common in the city. It was very clean and updated. The bathroom was good sized, clean and updated. House keeping came each day and did a wonderful job.
We were so impressed at how quiet the hotel was. There wasn't noise in the hall and we couldn't hear street noise.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank AJLCTK
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and I am so happy all was a success. We hope to see you soon!

Director of Revenue and Reservations