“Good Budget Hotel”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #324 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. The service was average. The room was small but clean. Most of the service was on a self-service basis, with almost everything being located on 2nd floor: soda dispenser, public telephone booth. There is no restaurant at the hotel, but there are nice eating places next to the hotel. The hotel has a fridge and microwave and a coffee machine. It is located just next to the subway station on 96th Street along Broadway. There was only one lift and it looked, well, old. You have to pay for internet. The room had no view and the AC was not very operational. It was worth the money given it is in Manhattan!

2  Thank Moses M
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. All in general seemed like a success. In the future, PLEASE immediately let us know if you are having A/C issues. We always want you to be comfortable with us and we can, within minutes either repair or replace the a/c. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Write a ReviewReviews (1,604)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our Wedding Anniversary and over New Year and for us it was the perfect choice. We were looking for somewhere near the subway, clean and a reasonable price as we would rather have the money in our pocket to spend while we were there. This hotel met all our requirements. We were only in the room to sleep and we were out by 8am every day. The beds were comfortable, yes the room was warm but we didn't find it too warm, personally I would rather be coming back to a warm room than a cold one!! Our bathroom was clean and the shower was great. We would definately recommend this hotel to others and if we were coming back to New York would stay here without a second thought.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

You certainly get what you pay for with the Hotel Newton – and we didn’t pay much at all! At first glance this was the perfect choice for our five day trip to New York over the New Year period, everything else was ridiculously overpriced as you’d expect for this time of year. On paper the Hotel Newton seemed like a real bargain, however we came away wishing we’d paid more and stayed somewhere nicer.

I’d paid for the hotel in full months before checking in and also phoned a couple of weeks in advance to make sure of this, which they confirmed. When we arrived they immediately took my credit card and said that most people have paid for the first night in advance and then settle the balance on arrival and that they were going to take payment for four nights right then and there. It was only after a lengthy debate where I made them check their records that they realised that I had actually paid – if I hadn’t queried this they would’ve charged my card a second time! Not cool…

After checking in we went to our room. It took us about 10 minutes to call the lift which seriously needs replacing as it takes forever to crawl up and down the 9 floors, stopping everywhere but the floor you actually want. The room we booked was a ‘deluxe double’ with quad occupancy (since there were 3 of us), but the reality was two small double beds occupying a room so small there was barely enough room to walk around the beds. The bathroom was equally as minute with a bath so shallow it would be akin to sitting in a puddle and a cracked sink. The décor was tired and dated (not that décor matters so much) and the carpet was ripped and frayed in the middle of the room. Bedclothes don’t include a duvet, just a sheet and a thin fleece. Tea and coffee facilities leave a lot to be desired – a small kettle would be a very welcome addition and wouldn’t cost much.

My main issue was the total lack of any heat control in the room and I didn’t have one decent night’s sleep during my whole stay for this reason. With the windows closed the room is unbearably hot and it is impossible to regulate the heat yourself, especially since the radiator was off, we couldn’t work out where the heat was coming from. In a bid to cool the room down we tried to sleep with the windows open but due to the extremely cold nights (minus 2 to minus 6 degrees centigrade most nights) and the thin bed sheets we were provided with, we woke up freezing cold. My suggestion would be to either fix the air conditioning unit or to provide thicker duvets – I can forgive most things, but lack of sleep whilst on a very busy holiday is not one of them.

The good points of the Hotel Newton are as follows; location out of town far enough to be quieter and less touristy but close enough to public transport links (96th Street Subway station right outside) to get you to all the hot spots within minutes. Excellent maid service. Fridge in your room which is handy for milk, snacks and booze since the hotel doesn’t have a bar. Cheaply priced for budget travel leaving you with extra spending money.

Sorry Hotel Newton but I’d recommend people to look beyond price when selecting a New York hotel and spend a little bit more for better quality.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank james_chairman
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

thank you for your review of our property. I wish to apologize if the stay was not entirely pleasant. I wanted to address certain issues of the stay as I think that it is extremely important that hotels are able to give feedback while addressing problems that we may have. When you do arrive, regardless of whether it is prepaid, we do have to take a credit for incidentals however they should have clearly seen that it was prepaid and no debates should have been necessary. We are normally looked at as a hotel with larger rooms because so I am thoroughly surprised by the space comment. Our bathtubs are normal size and we have been completely renovated and refurbished within the last 3 years. I would ask you to contact me as I would like to immediately look into the carpet issue and sink. We have no complaints about this and do daily spot checks of this. Regarding the cold, if you needed any extra blankets, we would immediately send them as I don't believe any guest should be uncomfortable when sleeping. Our goal is to make you as comfortable as you would be at home. All rooms come with Duvets. I completely agree with you that lack of sleep is not acceptable while at a hotel and I wish we would have known as we could have changed the room if the current room was not acceptable.There are many issues here but issues in my opinion that could have been rectified if they were known. I advise all hotel guests to utilize the front desk as we are there to make sure you are comfortable however, if we don't know of issues and aren't given the chance, you walk away unsatisfied and that is not the point of any hotel. I would appreciate the chance to speak with you to better the experience for future guests.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Hotel Newton couldn't have been a better choice for our Christmas shopping trip to New York.
We loved our room (815). It was clean and very comfortable and kept that way throughout our five night stay by the wonderful housekeeping staff. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was lovely. There was no view to speak of from the windows but who cares? We used the room to shower and sleep not stand at the window. My only teeny tiny niggle was the elevator which broke down a couple of times. Walking up eight flights of stairs with very sore legs from all the walking and a bad back wasn't much fun but I'm still alive so what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is what I say.
Fantastic location in Upper West Side. We felt so safe there even very early morning and very late night when we used to sit outside the 96th Street Subway station drinking our Starbucks.
Thank you Hotel Newton.....it was fab and we will be back.

Room Tip: We loved room 815 which was a double with en suite bath/shower. Plenty of storage for our clothes w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sheila O
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Good size room, right at the 96th st. subway station makes this a great spot for exploring uptown or downtown, Lg lockers to store stuff for you late departure for just $5 . friendly staff -nice shower - the hotel has everything you need and the staff were very helpful. A good value for NYC.

2  Thank txmdcava

Thank you so much for your recent review and we look forward to your return to us soon!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Very convenient to all points of NYC via subway, in a safe neighborhood featuring interesting restaurants. The room itself was clean and comfortable. Some furnishings a little dated, but for the price, you will not do any better! We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NHSDteacher
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Well situated,easy access from any kind of transportation, small but clean rooms;
What else would you like to have for a decent price in Manhattan?
You can get what you need either on Broadway, Columbus or Amsterdam just a block away.
This part of upper broadway has upgrade so much in the last 10 years.

Room Tip: With no view, you will sleep in quietness with the rooms on the back side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends