“Review for those thinking shared bathroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #288 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Review for those thinking shared bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed at the Newton over Thanksgiving 2013. I booked a shared bathroom not knowing that's what I had done. I was a little concerned about this, but here are my impressions

First time coming in I notice that the staff is very friendly. You couldn't ask for a better customer service experience. Hats off to the front staff and help.

The elevator was the slowest I had ever seen. Not because of people being on it, but because it moved at a slow pace. It ended up not being too big of a deal, we got used to coming down the stairs and just waiting to go up.

My first impression of the room was small....very small....smallest I had ever seen to have a full bed. But the room was very clean and homely. I was a little turned off at first, but ended up loving the little space when the trip was over.

The bathroom was shared in the hall. This turned me off at first as I assumed it was attached to the room. It was not. I did however get used to this as it was close and it was very clean and newly updated with tile from floor to ceiling. We never once came into contact with the other user of the bathroom. Other then the occasional towel seen on the floor, you would never know anyone else was using it. I would book a shared here again and use the $200 to go see a show (like we did).

There was no view. I was also turned off to this at first, but realized we were out from 7am to 10pm so who cares. We just kept the blinds down.

There is a small table, a decent size desk and chair, a closet that was a good size, a microwave, and a fairly large fridge. The floor and sheets were very clean.

The only bad I can say and I had to knock off a star for this, the bed was NOT comfortable. It felt like it was due to be replaced 10 years ago. All in all it was a good value for the money and we had a great time, I would just suggest starting to replace the beds if that isn't already underway.

Last, the restaurant next door had some great food, ended up there twice for breakfast and dinner. There is a 24 hour drug store next door...good for supplies. And the subway was right outside the door, which was fantastic. A couple blocks down from Central Park as well.

Room Tip: Go for the biggest bed you can get if you are with someone else. Shared bathrooms aren't as bad...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nick S
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to share your thoughts about your recent stay. The most important part is the staff and it sets us apart from all other hotels. We don't believe in the cookie cutter experience of checking in and out. We allow our staff to go the extra mile with our guests. Our staff cares about how your time in New York has been and clearly from the reviews, it shows. Good news is that in 2014, we are looking at putting a new elevator in! We hope to see you soon.

Director of Reservations and Revenue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went to NYC with twin four year old toddlers, aiming to go car free, with a stroller. So, the location of the Hotel Newton is very good for the Upper West Side: it's within a block of the handicapped accessible 96th Street stop on the 1/2/3 line, just three express stops from Penn Station. Doorways, ramps, and elevator are all handicapped accessible also (so a wheelchair, or a double-wide twin stroller can be rolled through easily). It is a little up to the north on the UWS, however, so there is a smattering of decent restaurants and shops in the area, but the real action is further to the south. The Manhattan Diner is next door, and offers a passable breakfast option (they're even the room service food option), though the breakfast was not deathless there. Riverside Park is also a block or two away, and there's a nice little kid's park and room to stroll or run kids around.

We had a double king suite, with a small separate room with kitchenette. The room was neat, well appointed, and kept scrupulously clean by the hotel staff (and with two toddlers, this is a challenge!). I would have liked a little separation somehow between the separate room and the bedroom; another hotel suite we've stayed in had a closable doorway so that we could do other things while the kids slept, that was impossible here. Beds were fairly comfortable, bathroom had a detachable shower head, but tended to take some time for hot water pressure to get up to our 8th floor room. Awkward choices included the complete absence of any plates, utensils, or corkscrews, which defeats the purpose of reserving a suite with a microwave and a refrigerator. Heating system was also odd -- the only obvious control was a window unit air conditioner and the room tended to be quite hot after coming in from a brisk NYC fall. Staff was very friendly and helpful where they could be. The WiFi network was available for a charge of $5/day from 12 noon to 12 noon. Connection speeds were variable (though on the second day, I found a second network that loaded somewhat faster).

All in all, a solid option if you're traveling with a family with small children, convenient to public transportation, variable in terms of local amenities, uneven in implementation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank DrJimbob
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am happy all was a success. I wish we could offer utensils but because of sanitary laws where we don't operate a working kitchen, we are not allowed to offer this. It is a question that many have so I am happy to offer the response. We hope to see you soon!

Emilio Morales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed her for three nights. The room was small but typical for NYC. Even though small it was quite nice. Comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was nicely remodeled. Great hot water pressure. Great location. Next to Manhattan Diner (great breakfast), Starbucks , drug store, and subway. I loved the neighborhood feel versus Times Square. The location was two blocks from my brother's studio apartment. We would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Gayke
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

falls church, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located 1/2 block from the 95th St. exit of the 96th St. subway station. My room was very tiny and definitely would not have worked for two people. But it suited my needs pretty well: pleasant decor, comfortable bed, just room enough to sit at the decent-sized desk, very fast wi-fi that was easy to connect to, lots of good lighting, an actual closet where I could stow my suitcase, a nice bathroom that's about normal size for a New York hotel, and very quiet. Front desk service was efficient and correct but not friendly. Getting to the desk to check out was a bit of a problem because there's only one small elevator that was being used by the cleaning service as well as the guests. If you don't want to schlep your baggage down the stairs, be prepared for a long wait. There's a diner next door that I heard is good for breakfast and a Starbucks across the street. For supper I went around the corner to Acqua, an Italian restaurant on 95th & Amsterdam. I had a $20 branzino with roasted vegetables that was quite tasty and a chocolate torte that was fantastic. I was put up at the hotel by Columbia so can't speak to the value, but if I need to stay in that area again, I will definitely consider booking at the Newton.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank elizabarry
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel was OK - clean and the staff were helpful. As a solo traveler, the hotel puts you into the smallest and least desirable room. My room was the size of a shoe box and the one window was two feet away from the exhaust fan of the restaurant next door. I asked to have another room but they couldn't accommodate me. I was only staying for 3 nights so I didn't look for another hotel and after all what does one expect for $220.00 in NYC. ?????

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank argosyvr
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Fot hte price that we pay by Agoda, all the things are excellent,. Very clean and friendly. When you do the reservation you need to be alert if your bedroom is with share bathroom. Our experience it not bad about the bathroom (we have a share bathroom), all the time it is clean. You have a lot of restaurants and places to go, in excellent localization, the subway it at one minute, you are in the middle of NYC!!! We arrive at hotel at 12, and the check it its suppose to be at 3pm, but they bring the room early! The personal was friendly too.

Room Tip: Check if your bathroom is a share bathroom, anyway it always its clean!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Middlebury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I recently spent 3 days at the Newton Hotel. It was my 3rd visit. I love the area (not touristy) with close access to subway/buses, great little restaurants with reasonable prices and excellent grocery stores with good prepared food.......and Columbia University. The rooms are clean and adequate and each has a small refrigerator and microwave. It is a basic hotel, but comfortable. I would say more 2 stars than 3. The entrance could be more inviting, but the staff is welcoming and helpful. Mostly, the hotel is an affordable option for staying in Manhattan.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Linda G
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to many stays to come!