“Great value, excellent location”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #313 of 467 Hotels in New York City
australia
“Great value, excellent location”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

So you have only one temperamental lift, the water takes awhile to heat up and the room smells slightly musty but in a nice sort of way. But that's the old world charm this hotel comes with. Front rooms are a little noisy so if you're a light sleeper ask for a room off the street. The staff are cheerful and try hard to please. There is a subway just a few yards away and numerous mini markets. An excellent full American breakfast for under $10 is served next door. The Thai restaurant two doors down and the Indian restaurant around the corner have terrific food and cheap too. The location has a real neighborhood feel but you are only a short stroll to Central Park or a quick subway ride to Downtown. Overall this hotel is excellent value in terms of location and features.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank worldinabag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aquiraz, CE
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Since the hotel is in an old renovated building, it has old fashioned radiators for heat, and individual AC units in the windows. So you don't get to control the heat at all! The management decides when to turn it on or off! We staid in early November, and the temperature was ok, but I wonder how it would be when it gets real cold outside... I was told that all rooms have queen size beds. Ours, a superior, had 2. They pretty much filled the whole room. But the 2nd bed gave us room to lay our suitcases. Breakfast is not included, but there is the Manhattan Dinner next door and plenty of other places near by. They let us check in early, unlike other Manhattan hotels. The internet costs $4.95 a day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cescolar
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. I am pleased that overall your stay was a success! Let me explain quickly regarding the heat as it is a valid point. We don't actually control when the thermostat operates but in fact, the weather temperature does. When the temperature goes below a certain level regulated by the state, it automatically comes on so that we don't have to control it on a daily basis. I hope this answers your concerns and we surely look forward to your next stay with us.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

For about $100 you can get good location, relatively clean room and high speed internet. Just across the street -europam hotel. Good place to have a breakfast. If this hotel comete with days hotel around the corner which is pretty much the same. Compare the prices if you had a chance.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank anttraveller85
Madison
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed for two nights on our whirlwind visit to New York. Because the Hotel Newton is less than a block from the subway, we had fast access to everywhere we wanted to go -- World Trade Center, Empire State Building, Lincoln Center, Radio City, Port Authority, etc. The desk staff were courteous and helpful, too. Our room had two comfy beds, an immaculate bathroom, microwave and fridge. Would stay there again!

2 Thank MadWisconsin
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Right off the bat I'll admit to being a bit complicated when it comes to choosing a hotel; I didn't expect to be well loved by the Newton customer service because I called them a number of times in a single day to cancel my reservation due to a change of plans. My issue wasn't solved until I spoke to Landry. I explained my situation to him and he handled it for me. Unfortunately, before the day concluded, there was yet another change to my schedule and I needed the reservation I had just cancelled. I called the hotel again and expected a frustrated attendant when I informed them that i needed my reservation reinstated. I was patched through to Landry again and he was outstandingly patient. He also wished my sick family member good health and even encouraged me to call back if there was anything more the hotel could assist with. Although I originally chose this hotel because of a loved one being admitted to a nearby hospital, I will return simply because of facts that the hotel room was spotlessly clean, subway station is near hotel and the entire front desk staff that I encountered was helpful. Mostly, I also was made to feel truly welcomed long before I even even arrived. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and refer friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank joan f
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much and it was our pleasure to have you with us. I am so happy that Landry was able to help you out!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My cousin and I (age 68) stayed for 2 nights. The pleasure was in the details - scrupulously clean room, very comfy beds and pillows, non-slip bath mat in tub, tall ceiling, little hallway to bath and closet - surprisingly roomy considering it was New York!, desk clerks quick and always ready to answer a question. The location is outstanding - 1,2,3 subway line is right out the door - straight shot to Penn Station, MOMA, Lincoln Center. A plus: The Manhatten Diner is 10 feet from front door - outstanding Greek-owned diner - best breakfasts and cheesecake we had in NY. I definitely would stay here again and again.

3 Thank Elizabeth D
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you soon!

Pittsford, NY
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed for three nights at the Hotel Newton for marathon weekend. We arrived at noon and they held our bags, apologizing that our room wasn't ready. We were fine with that, having no expectation that our room would be ready that early. We came back later that afternoon and they remembered me by name, even though the hotel was full and they were quite busy. We ended up with an upgraded room, which was up to date and well appointed. The bathroom was small, but quite acceptable. The refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker were nice touches. Parking was no problem as they directed me to the Hertz lot around the corner, where I parked for the hotel discounted rate of $27/night. That seems quite reasonable for NYC. The beds were comfortable and housekeeping kept the room quite clean. We even noticed that they reset the clocks for us after DST ended. There was some noise from the street, but that is to be expected in Manhattan. The 96th Street subway station is a block away, making it very convenient to midtown and lower Manhattan. We found all of the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful. Considering NYC hotel prices, we found the Hotel Newton to be a very good value.

MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review and we look forward to your return to us!