“Small but more than adequate”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #326 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my daughter at Columbia University. The location was perfect and I could easily take a pleasant walk to campus, passing many small shops and bakeries along the way. It was so easy to hop on the subway since there is a large station right in front of the hotel. In fact, it was a bit difficult to locate the hotel at first because there is only a small door on the street. You must enter and walk to the reception area at the end of the hall.

My room was quite compact but had plenty of room for the essentials and a large closet. The bathroom was not spacious but had enough room for one person. Although the hotel does not have its own breakfast, I could go to the Starbucks directly across the street (with free wifi) or to the cafe a couple of doors to the north. To me, a New York hotel is a place to sleep and the Newton serves nicely for this purpose. It was clean, quiet and the staff were nice. The surrounding neighborhood felt reasonably safe, especially during the day. There were a couple of places to get frozen yogurt/snacks within the same block.

Room Tip: Request aroom on a lower floor to use the stairs instead of the single elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Movinup
Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My room was small (and would not have accommodated my husband and myself) but as a

single traveller was adequate. It was very clean, the facilities were as described and it was

extremely close to a very good subway network.The staff were friendly and helpful and if or

when I return to New York I will certainly try to book this hotel; value for money and ease of

access to downtown make this a number 1 choice...

Room Tip: If on your own and small I recommend Room 714. Compact, but has all facilities and is Quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This location probably survives due to the alck of competition in the Upper West Side. "Their " restaurant belongs to friends of the owner according to staff and is located 2 doors away wiht neither physical connection to the hotel or the abvilit to order a glass of wine at night. The "suite" simply isn't - it is a two bed room with an open arch into an adjacent area barely 20 meters square. It has perhaps teh slowest elevator in Manhattan - and only one of those. If location is your only issue - go around the corner. A Day's Inn related hotel is on West 94th - it has suites and betetr amenities.

Room Tip: Go high for quiet but it'll be along wait fro the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tom W
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your review of our property. I am very saddened hearing your review but I feel that there are some misunderstandings. We never advertise our property as having a 2 bedroom suite, in fact, the actual name of the suite is a Deluxe Jr. Suite and if you look on our website, the picture clearly shows that it is not 2 rooms. As I have mentioned in other rooms, we don't have show rooms on our website, we show you the actual rooms to avoid any misrepresentation. We want to be as honest as possible. We never advertise as having our own restaurant and always advertise as having room service from the restaurant next door to us and yes, they are friends of ours and treat our guest as such so I feel that this would be an advantage for our guests, not a disadvantage. I do wish you well in your future travels and I respect Trip Advisor as a site where we all, hotels and guests can voice our opinions of our stays and thank them for letting hotels now have the chance to comment on reviews fairly.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

we booked this "hotel"last minute for 300 us dollars per night,we expected a normal hotel,we could't imagine there was no bar,no breakfast,and no dining room.the hotel is very old with only 1 lift and the stairs smells very bad,the "double"room is very small under 14 square meters with a window 60 cm. per 60cm. with a view on the wall(room number 409),air conditioned was not working.
they want money for everything,wifi costs 5 us dollar per day,there is a computer on the desk that you can use for 1 us dollar every 5 minutes,the luggage storage costs 5 us dollars .
i dont understand how tripadvisor can suggest this kind of hotel without the normal requirements of law to be an hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank galaxia

Thank you for reviewing our property. I am sorry if the room was not adequate for you. I notice that your review comes in May 23 so I will assume that you stayed within the last 2 weeks which are high season weeks. the normal rate in New York for their smallest room ranged from $300 to $400 /night for a boutique property which we are. We never advertise to have a bar within the hotel and all charges are clearly shown on our website. We would never charge for extra surprise items. We advertise ourselves in a way so that our guests would know exactly what they are purchasing. The room photos on our website are not show rooms but the actual rooms that our guests would get to avoid any issues and pride ourselves on honesty. If the A/C in the room had any issues, we have a 24 hour maintenance staff that would switch it immediately without question and regarding the hall smell, we have never had this complaint before. On the contrary, if you look through all of our reviews, we are praised for the cleanliness of rooms and common space. I have looked through maintenance logs and have not found any complaints regarding hallway smells that were logged so I ask you to contact us if there was any specific issues that we could have helped you with as the issues you have brought up seem in a large part fixable if we would have known. Regarding room size, we have many room types that are larger with different rates. I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I made a reservation through Expedia.com. My flight was delayed three times, and as a result, I was not able to arrive at the hotel until 2 AM.

When I tried to check-in at the front desk, they said that all of their rooms had been booked. Even worse, the men running the front desk at Hotel Newton refused to admit they had canceled my room reservation. They said I needed to call Expedia.com. Once I called, Expedia informed me that it was either me or Hotel Newton who had in fact canceled the reservation. And it certainly wasn't me.

I never would have publicly complained, but then the men at the front desk at Hotel Newton informed me at the front desk they could get me a room at the Riverside Inn for $150/night. They said it was only six blocks away. They did warn it was a shared bathroom, but I figured, how bad could a recommendation from a 3-star place like Hotel Newton be?! After taking the cab six blocks over, I found myself in a college dorm-like room that smelled like smoke and sweat. It was the worst room I had ever stayed in.

Worst of all, Hotel Newton offered me a reservation at Riverside offering $150/night. Turns out that nightmare of a room was only $90/night. I guess they split the profits somehow. The true message: Don't act like you're trying to do someone a favor after you've canceled their room and then try to make money off of the deal. Unbelievable.

I will never return to Hotel Newton again and I will tell all of my friends never to do so also.

Room Tip: Hotel Newton will cancel your room if you don't arrive by midnight. Travelers beware.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Daisy2124

I thank you for your recent review and I am sorry if all did not work out properly. We do hold rooms until midnight as most hotels in the city do. However, if we know a guest is coming in late, we would never cancel the reservation. It seems to me however that the room was already cancelled as my front desk would never have cancelled and not admitted that there was a reservation at all. Clearly, your confirmation from Expedia would have proven that there were indeed reservations clearing up that issue. I can't comment fully without knowing the entire story. I would ask you to call us so that I can look into all as if we were wrong in any way, I would like to right the situation. We don't receive any type of compensation from the Riverside and it seems that the desk was just trying to help you out. It is a bit unheard of for hotels to receive compensation from another hotel. I don't quite know where the $90 rate came from but if that is what was given to you, that was clearly the choice of the hotel you ended up in and not a scam in any way from us. I look forward to hearing from you and look forward to investigating all as it is sometimes tricky when a 3rd company is involved.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We spent ages choosing a Hotel for my 40th birthday trip to NYC, and thanks to some helpful advice on the NYC Forum, we settled on the Hotel Newton in the UWS. It was well within our budget (approx. £1,100) for a weeks stay, and as we preferred to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Midtown, the quieter neighbourhood of the UWS seemed perfect for our stay.
We were not disappointed! We booked directly with the Hotel and were given a comparable rate to any of the hotel sites we were checking on the internet, and Mr Emilio Morales was very helpful and even offered us an upgrade to our room as we were coming for a special occasion!

The subway (1,2 & 3) is practically right outside the door, and there are frequent buses that go near the hotel too. We lucked out on getting the express subway on occasion, and we were in Times Square in less than 10 mins!

From the moment we stepped into the hotel we were made to feel welcome, and another surprise....another upgrade! This time to a suite! We were delighted! No view but hey ho, we didn't pick this hotel because of it's views! We had two large beds (?Queen), a separate lounge area with table and another TV, a large walk in wardrobe, a kitchen area with fridge, sink, cupboard space, microwave and a coffee maker. The bathroom had a fantastic double headed shower and was immaculately clean. We also had another surprise......Mr Morales appeared at the door with a bottle of wine and a birthday card for me! A wonderfully thoughtful gesture which made us feel even more welcome!

The beds were large, comfortable and led to a great night sleep. Slightly warm due to the plastic covering, but not a problem to us (actually prefer that as it just seems a bit cleaner!).

The room was very spacious (I realise we were lucky to be upgraded) and was spotlessly clean. The housekeepers made a great job everyday, fresh towels and even provided us with extra coffee when we asked. We bumped into many of the staff while coming and going, and everyone was friendly and helpful.
The check out is 12md and we were able to leave our cases until we collected them around 4.30pm. No charge but we did tip!

There is no breakfast available at the hotel, but that wasn't a problem as there are many places to eat right next door to the hotel. We used the Manhattan Diner (2 doors away) several times during our stay and we also took some snacks up to the room.

So many pros...any cons? Minor and not really worth mentioning but in order to be comprehensive I'll add them: only one lift so can sometimes take a while (we were on the 8th floor) but we were never in a hurry. It broke down one night which could've been a problem if you weren't that fit and on a high floor, but the staff were doing all they can to help, and it was soon fixed!
The fridge in our room didn't have a control switch (that I could see) and was set rather high so the pint of milk I bought was frozen the next day! I sure that could have been dealt with but I didn't bother to complain as it was doing a fabulous job of keeping our beer and wine extra chilled!!

Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely choose Hotel Newton for our next trip to NYC!

Room Tip: Bear in mind the single lift if you're not keen to take the stairs and are impatient! Room 808 w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leopard_ladyred
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This place is ranked in the top ten of mid range hotels in New York. This is very affordable for NYC and though it is a bit off center, it suited my needs perfectly. You can actually sleep better and you are not awakened by sirens or other noises that one might expect closer to downtown. The staff are super friendly and very accomodating and this always makes the trip a more pleasant stay. They go out of their way to offer suggestions on restaurants, and directions etc. There are numerous restaurants in Amsterdam ave, Whole Foods is also about 2 or 3 blocks way. The best part is that subway is right in front of the hotel, very convenient. You are also 3 blocks from Central Park. The room was very clean and bathroom was large enough. I look forward to staying here in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family