“Great stay, friendly staff and very clean rooms”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #324 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This place is ranked in the top ten of mid range hotels in New York. This is very affordable for NYC and though it is a bit off center, it suited my needs perfectly. You can actually sleep better and you are not awakened by sirens or other noises that one might expect closer to downtown. The staff are super friendly and very accomodating and this always makes the trip a more pleasant stay. They go out of their way to offer suggestions on restaurants, and directions etc. There are numerous restaurants in Amsterdam ave, Whole Foods is also about 2 or 3 blocks way. The best part is that subway is right in front of the hotel, very convenient. You are also 3 blocks from Central Park. The room was very clean and bathroom was large enough. I look forward to staying here in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

"Take your choice, a 9 foot by 9 foot room with a twin bed, or a room with a shared bathroom."

I rented a room with Hotel Newton through Hotmail. It was a "three star" hotel according to Hotmail. I ended up with a 9' x 9' room. The bed was a twin, the mattress had a plastic covering over it. I tried to iron, but there was very little room to set up the iron. It was horrible. The receptionists literally laughed when I asked about foam pillows.

Hotmail compared the Hotel Newton to the Holiday Inn and the Ameritania. Since when does the Holiday Inn or the Ameritania offer 9'x9' rooms or shared bathrooms. Awful

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Bill C
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for your review and let me apologize if your stay was not a pleasant one. I am a little confused as I believe you are mistaken in how you booked as Hotmail is a email service. Do you mean Hotwire and if so, you would have received a Superior room with one full bed or Queen bed. We are all 3 star properties that you have mentioned and as you can see from other reviews, we normally have happy guests. Regarding mattress covers, I would be overjoyed to go into hotels and instantly see them as many hotels in the city are having serious bed bug issues, the Hotel Newton is being proactive to make sure that we are not caught up in the problem. We have really never had a complaint regarding this. I would apologize as well if our receptionists chuckled when asked about foam pillows but I don't quite see why they would. If there was a back story to your situation with our desk, please feel free to contact me as I would like to handle the situation post haste as I don't quite understand the comment. I thank you for all and wish you well in your future travels. If you ever wish to give the Hotel Newton a second chance, I would ask you to contact us personally.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you need a nice place to stay in the hotel desert of the Upper West Side, you will be more than satisfied with Hotel Newton. Very clean rooms, a large bathroom, attentive staff, and we had a very quiet room. Rooms can be small, but consider that normal for NYC, and the other conviences that accompany this place such as nearby subway stop and Central Park make this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wileyc0y0te

Thank you so much and we look forward to your next stay with us

Reviewed May 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel until we left one week later, the staff treated us in the best way. And I think that is the best thing about the hotel. The very friendly and helpful staff. The room was nice. Nothing fancy, but it was just what we wanted. It was cleaned daily, towels were replaced, we weren't afraid to leave a few valuables and money in the room and it was quiet. You could get a decent sleep. Also it is right next to the subway making it easy to return to the hotel to rest and leave again in the afternoon. The only thing I would point out as negative is that wifi is not free. I would definitely stay here again when I come back to NY. Oh and the Manhattan Diner right next to the hotel...excellent food! You must eat there!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stavroula K
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel reminds me of the European small hotels I stayed last year for around 80 Euros except this is NYC so you'll be paying close to triple and no place for free breakfast. However better than paying $400-500, an average in NYC. Saw some shared bathroom rooms which will be cheaper for sure. Saw lots of Europeans staying. Very close to Metro to mid-town with lots of places to eat and safe area by NYC standard. One problem is the elevator. There is only one small one and every one including cleaning staff uses them so if you rented on the 9th floor, it might take a while.
Service was good and rooms are clean though I didn't like the fumigating smell.

Room Tip: Staying on the lower level to avoid elevators
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Yori O
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for your review of our property. I tend to agree on the European feel of the hotel and I definitely agree about the elevator. The good news being we are putting in a brand new 2nd elevator next year to alleviate some of these issues. We hope to see you again.

Emilio Morales

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Situated in Upper West Side, this hotel has restaurants and shops on the doorstep, is only a few blocks from |Central Park and is very near a subway station. The hotel has storage boxes off reception and a luggage store, The staff were very helpful. Some of the rooms are small but there is so much to do in NY that this isn't too much of a problem. We had breakfast every day at the excellent City Diner which is left down Broadway for a few blocks and across the road on a corner.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harrogateblades

Thank you for your recent review and I am happy your stay was a pleasant one and I agree, City Diner is a great place to eat! We will see you soon

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband, sister, mom and I stayed here for long weekend and family celebration. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel at home, making every detail of the weekend easy and efficient. I wish I knew the name of the desk staffer (he seemed to be there 24 hours a day) as he was patient, friendly and helpful. Prices are reasonable for NYC. The rooms are basic, on the small side, simply furnished but clean and comfortable. It's a great location, easy to grab a taxi or jump on the subway to anywhere. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private bath. Apparently some rooms share baths.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank slhMinnesota
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I really feel our staff sets us apart from most hotels and that is the reason we maintain a high customer service rating. We look forward to your next stay with us