“Great Value on the Upper West Side”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #310 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Redondo Beach, California
“Great Value on the Upper West Side”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We only stayed one night but would definitely stay again. Subway station right out front was very convenient. Room was traditional, spacious with a fully tiled bathroom. Staff was friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Elevator is a little slow so you may want a lower floor if that's a problem
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Newton for a couple of nights. The room is a good size for New York City and had a mini refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are somewhat dated but clean and comfortable. The subway stop was within sight of the hotel. We ate at Carmine's which is right down the street and brought back leftovers to eat later. The only problem with leftovers is that you can't reheat in an aluminum carryout container so I went across the street to buy paperplates. Most things you could need are within walking distance. I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Would definitely recommend! Stayed for 5 nights over Thanksgiving holiday and very pleased with the hotel. We selected it based on location (upper west side) and because room had micro/fridge. We received free upgrade to very spacious room with two queens. Room and hotel were very clean, quiet and staff extremely friendly. Gave us a late check-out with no problem whatsoever and the one time we called maintenance for something we had done, he was there in less then 3 minutes. Subway station within a half a block which makes it easy to get anywhere in the city. Decent restaurants very close by, loved the Manhattan Diner next door.

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared bathroom - be careful when reserving a room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed for a week while visiting our daughter at Columbia University. The location was very convenient with the subway station right out front. Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable but there was a slight antiseptic and musty smell whenever we entered. The bathroom was newly updated. Staff were friendly and helpful. My only complaint was the single, small and slow elevator but that really just required a little patience. Lots of great restaurants in the area. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with a shared bathroom
4 Thank BeatzWorking
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your response and review! We look forward to your next stay with us

Emilio Morales
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Clean and nicesized room and bathroom. Convenient wit a fridge and microwave. Quiet at night and good beds. Friendly and helpful staff. Very close to the Metro, so easy to get aruond. Nothing to complain about really :)

2 Thank Adeleid H
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
No complaints is a perfect review!!! thank you so much and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Emilio Morales Jr.
Fairfield
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Don't stay here. We booked a room in advance for private bathroom. We got to the hotel and after we got the key to the room, it was shared bathroom and staff did not even bother to inform us of this. They made the excuse that there was a glitch in the system, they were sorry, and that they would charge a lower rate. After checking my bank statement a day later they still charged the higher rate. Now I have to waist time calling them and getting this fixed. If you want to create more headaches in your life stay here, otherwise look elsewhere or stay at a youth hostel where the staff is more competent.

3 Thank Warren B
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
I am so sorry about your recent stay and I ask you to call me as soon as you can and I will make the adjustment immediately if we made the mistake. I will make the process seamless as if we made the mistake, you should not have to waste your precious time to fix it, let us handle all. I would also ask you to give us another chance, and I will definitely take care of your reservation personally. I look forward to your response and let me again apologize for any glitch in your reservation.

Emilio Morales Jr.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed for three days and both of by key cards stopped working in the middle of my stay, the cleaning lady cleaned when I had the do not disturb sign up, they didn't have a sewing kit at the front desk so a lady came to my door with a needle and thread (???), and FINALLY I was bitten by spiders and beg bugs while I slept. I have over ten bites and the front desk didn't care at all. My stay was from Nov 10th to the 15th 2012. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Cori A
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
hello,

I thank you for your review but I have to address it as it is completely out of the sphere of the truth. We have many reviews where there are some negative comments and I will completely agree with the guest as we are not a perfect property and every property can improve on issues. We take these reviews as listening tools to better ourselves however we sometimes have guests review after they have stayed several days with us and never broached subjects while they were here and we wonder why? I have looked at all complaints during the week you were here and there was not one review that spoke of bedbugs or spider bites which are two completely different things. Our fumigation company comes in twice monthly to check for all and all rooms were fumigated the week before you stayed with no issues. You also stayed with us all 5 nights and I have to say that as a traveller, if I was in the same situation with bedbugs and spiders, I would immediately check out especially in a city like New York where we have over 1000 properties within Manhattan itself. Regarding the sewing kit, we indeed have over 10 boxes of 1000 sewing kits each on property and we would never ever go into a room that had a do not disturb sign and there were no complaints of that either during that week. I am a bit perplexed by the review as it almost seems that you were in a different hotel. We definitely value your business and ever guest that comes into the Hotel Newton. We value your reviews and look forward to them as they help us improve daily BUT we ask that all of our guests give an honest accurate picture of their stay and this was not one. We wish you well in your future travels.

Emilio Morales