“If you like to be eaten alive”
Review of Hotel Newton

Hotel Newton
Ranked #317 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed for three days and both of by key cards stopped working in the middle of my stay, the cleaning lady cleaned when I had the do not disturb sign up, they didn't have a sewing kit at the front desk so a lady came to my door with a needle and thread (???), and FINALLY I was bitten by spiders and beg bugs while I slept. I have over ten bites and the front desk didn't care at all. My stay was from Nov 10th to the 15th 2012. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Cori A
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

hello,

I thank you for your review but I have to address it as it is completely out of the sphere of the truth. We have many reviews where there are some negative comments and I will completely agree with the guest as we are not a perfect property and every property can improve on issues. We take these reviews as listening tools to better ourselves however we sometimes have guests review after they have stayed several days with us and never broached subjects while they were here and we wonder why? I have looked at all complaints during the week you were here and there was not one review that spoke of bedbugs or spider bites which are two completely different things. Our fumigation company comes in twice monthly to check for all and all rooms were fumigated the week before you stayed with no issues. You also stayed with us all 5 nights and I have to say that as a traveller, if I was in the same situation with bedbugs and spiders, I would immediately check out especially in a city like New York where we have over 1000 properties within Manhattan itself. Regarding the sewing kit, we indeed have over 10 boxes of 1000 sewing kits each on property and we would never ever go into a room that had a do not disturb sign and there were no complaints of that either during that week. I am a bit perplexed by the review as it almost seems that you were in a different hotel. We definitely value your business and ever guest that comes into the Hotel Newton. We value your reviews and look forward to them as they help us improve daily BUT we ask that all of our guests give an honest accurate picture of their stay and this was not one. We wish you well in your future travels.

Emilio Morales

There are newer reviews for Hotel Newton

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed the weekend in a very small room. There was a nice flatscreen TV, fridge and microwave that were very convenient due to the great foodstores in the neighborhood (Citarella, Zabars). However, having the bathroom down the hall was not great. It was clean and I only had to wait three times to use it.....
Polite staff, clean room, newer decor and good value compared to other places in the area.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathroom!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for your review of our property and I am pleased that your stay was a success overall. Our standard shared bathrooms range about $25 to $40 lower than the regular room and are for that budget conscience traveller. Try our Superior brand of room next time

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I quite liked this hotel- there were 3 of us staying in a double room- (a bit smaller but we were hardly ever there anyways), more importantly however, it was CLEAN. It's on the upper west side, lots to see and do in the neighbourhood, best part was the subway stop right across the street- very handy. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank notallwhowandrrlost
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I know this place gets some good reviews, and I expect it was quite full the night I stayed, but the room was tiny, to the point where when my daughter visited, I had to stand behind the door to open it. Hardly enough room for two people. Broom closet would perhaps be generous. I only stayed there because of a problem with the supposedly less desirable hotel that I booked originally. I would stay there again, if the price were extremely low and other hotels were full. Not terrible, but definitely nothing to write home about. Only on this site perhaps.

Room Tip: Go for a big one.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

I thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I would say that you probably stayed with us in one of our standard singles. Our Superior brand of rooms are a bit more spacious. The singles are small rooms that are advertised as such for the budget traveller. I am pleased that you gave us a fair review and recognized that the hotel was a good one as a whole and I look forward to your giving us that fighting chance in the future. Please contact me for your reservations when ready.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

The hotel is located in the Upper West Side (the area seemed to be quite safe). The position is very good, bus stop and subway are very close or you could get many places just having a walk across the Broadway. The room was clean, the staff was helpful and courteous and the price was very competitive.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review and we look forward to your next stay with us

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days for what we had nick-named our 'mini-moon' after it had been recommended by a friend. We should have made the fact that we had just got married plain as when we mentioned it later on when asking for restaurant suggestions Charles was looking at other rooms to upgrade us saying 'I wish you had of told me.' However that evening while we had our meal at Uncle Jacks 2 complimentary Kir Royale drinks were brought to our table courtesy of the Newton which was a lovely and very unexpected gesture.
British guests travelling to New York will need to check that you ask for en suite as apparently it's not uncommon to get just a room with no bath/toilet facility. We had a superior double which even came with a microwave and fridge. Room service was supplied by the diner next door which was more than capable of over feeding an army.
It is well placed for transport and Central Park is a 15 minute walk away taking an easy direct route.
All the usual tourist leaflets are available, Internet access, knowledgable friendly staff wishing you a good morning and saying hello and made New York all we expected and more. The usual test for me applies, would I go back there, Yes!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for celebrating such a great event with us! We look forward to celebrating many more milestones to come with you!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everyone at the reception desk was incredibly helpful - they went out of their way to help us, printing concert tickets we emailed them, helping us plan our next journey, and even assisting us after we had left the hotel. The rooms are clean and well located for transport. It's a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ORosalind
MILO928, Manager at Hotel Newton, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased that our staff helped you with all that you needed. We look forward to your next stay with us.