“great place to sleep”

Ranked #276 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Claremont, North Carolina
“great place to sleep”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was our first time staying at the ChelseaSavoy Hotel. I took a group of 9 ladies to NYC for a shopping, sight seeing long weekend. The hotel was fantastic, clean, quite and all around perfect for us. The people at the front desk were attentive and nice. The breakfast was small but so very good. The coffee was excellent. They serve donuts, bagels and other pastry. They are not the fanciest place to stay, but I will sure stay again.

Room Tip: The number 1 Train is right out side the hotel, the High Line is only 2 long blocks away.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed at the Chelsea Savoy every year for about 7 years. In the heart of Chelsea, there is a lot to do within walking distance, centrally located between 2 subway lines and a great "home base" at a great price point. The hotel/rooms are clean with daily coffee/bagels in the lobby each morning. You will see some comments about "traffic noise" - it is New York City afterall - that is part of the mystique. For the most part, the hotel staff is friendly and helpful (they always remember us when we book). If you are looking for a luxury "resort" experience - this is not the place for you. BUT if you are looking for a clean hotel, with easy access to the City - this is a great location and value and would recommend the Chelsea Savoy.

And if you are looking for something fun - the "Trailer Park" is located across the street. This kitchy restaurant/bar is decorated with retro pieces from bowling allies, trailer parks and truck stops. Serving burgers, sweet potato fries and a pitchers (or margarita - what bring us back again and again), the Trailer Park our Happy Hour location daily and is a part of our annual "Chelsea Savoy experience"

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndrewLammes
WANTAGH
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Whenever I have to stay overnight or 2 nights in Manhattan this hotel is my go-to. It's reasonable compared to most- has a convenient location to whatever I have planned, it's is clean, and it's in a great neighborhood!! It is small but not as tiny as boutique hotels and I've always had a pleasant stay- just remember to ask NOT to get a room on the street side as it can get pretty noisy@

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights (9-12 November) and found that the quality of both the room and the service is over-rated, as compared to cheaper rates in other hotels. I paid $216 a night + tax for a room with a double bed, and my friend was staying in a similar room close to Union square for half that price. Next time, I'll stay at that hotel.
1) Staff is typically unfriendly, as other guests have noted on this forum. I am starting to believe that they are paid to be rough and unhelpful to customers.

2) More importantly, there may be a serious problem with honesty in this hotel.
2.1) I had book parcels sent to me, and I never got one of them, officially "never received", but the sender has shown me the USPS slip.
2.2) on the day I was leaving, I went down to eat breakfast at 8 am, by the time I was back up in the room, the maid had done the room and .. my face cream (an expensive fancy one from a famous luxurious French brand), was missing from my beauty case. Hmm, i'll give it a doubt, one never knows, but I am 80% convinced the maid stole the cream. I asked the front desk immediately, but they said the maid was ... out (?!) and I had to call back the next day. And of course the next day... the maid, called Marisa, or Marianna, I don't remember clearly, said she never found anything
2.3) it just so happens that as I went downstairs for the check out, another lady guest reported that her purse, with all credit cards etc. had gone missing from her room after the maid had come in.
THAT WAS A BIT MUCH !!!!!
I don't know the end to that story, but i suspect there is a problem with honesty in this hotel.

Keep you bucks and find yourself a beter place for that price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel has a split personality: Plus = The rooms were clean; the price (in late October) was reasonable; the housekeeping staff was pleasant; and the location was fine. Negative = The front-desk staff seemed oblivious to us, for five days. And small amenities that most travelers take for granted were nonexistent. Examples: (1.) The day before we left, we asked (twice) if they could run off a boarding pass, on one of their two computer-printers, sitting three foot away. We were told, by two different clerks, to go to FedEx, up the street, (2.) We asked the front desk, twice, if they had a newspaper we could just look at, for starting times for a play. We were told, twice, to go up the street and buy a paper. We can't really recommend this place ... unless you're desperate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was here during Sandy. The situation was really crummy all over lower Manhattan. The staff worked tirelessly to make us as comfortable as they possibly could before the power came back on. Some of the staff even stayed at the hotel because they couldn't get home and get back in - traffic and public transportation were a nightmare. Would stay here again (and hopefully not have a hurricane). All around good value.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Chelsea Savoy has decent sized, clean rooms with a handy mini fridge in the room. The breakfast is simple with fresh bagles and coffee and the staff is friendly. Located on the corner of 7th and West 23rd, the hotel is close to the subway, great shopping and restaurants.
This hotel is not fancy, but neither is the price.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends