“Good value for NYC”
Review of Carlton Arms Hotel

Carlton Arms Hotel
Ranked #19 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2012

At the time of our travels my husband and I were just students. It had a central location and was very affordable for an NY hotel. I loved the design of our room, which we got to pick out from what was available. Bare minimum in terms of niceties but the staff was pleasant, there were adorable kitties to love and lots of interesting art to admire and decipher.

I loved the place EXCEPT for the fact that our room, over the pizza place, constantly smelled like pizza. It didn't get in our clothes at least! Also, the bathroom wasn't very clean and smelled a bit mildewy. However compared to hostels I've been to it was in an acceptable state.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would encourage all travellors to avoid this hotel. It was worse than many hostels I have stayed in (and there have been many!). The staff were unfriendly, the rooms are painted in dark colourse (as per photo - this is quite disturbing in dark corridors and stairwells in addition to rooms), floors uneven, the bath in the toilet on our landing partially full of water a lot of the time as it did not drain, carpets barely there, and a radiator in the corridor literally spouted steam throughout one night. There was a lot of traffic noise from our room - we think as the air conditioning means that the windows can't be fully shut - although some noise is understandably inevitable in NYC. We also had an electricity blackout while we were staying - no one came to ask if we were alright or had all that we needed, or were visible as we passed through the hallway - their solution to this was to leave bare flamed night lights on wooden staircases. We feel lucky to have got out alive!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and on arriving thought the place was cool. Reception staff were pleasant and the artistic decor was impressive. Didn't have particularly high expectations as it is a budget hotel and we were told from friendly reception guy that the room would not be serviced unless we requested fresh linen, towels etc. which was not a problem. However the bed linen got changed every day and we wondered why, as this was contrary to what we had been told. I can only presume that this was their way of covering up a problem rather than dealing with it as unfortunately by the end of our stay my girlfriend had a bad swollen rash on her arms. Upon visiting the doctor back home in the UK we were told they are bed bug bites. Worse still we now have some unwelcome house guests who managed to hitch a ride in our luggage and we are struggling to get rid of them. Through cleaning our own home and replacing our bedding we have most likely spent out what we initially saved on booking a cheaper hotel in the first place. Not to mention the upset and discomfort it has caused.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mark_N1234
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the great replacement for the famed Chelsea Hotel as the main bohemian stopping point in NYC. The place is clean, the rooms cheap ($80 bucks for shared bath) and you'll never find anything like it anywhere else on the planet.

My only complaints were that the street noise at night was a bit much and that it was best to rise early and avoid a wait for the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street, the view may not be great but it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for one night who actually rented the room in his name. The service was good. There is no elevator and there are common washrooms down the hall. Our room didn't have a terribly good view but it did have a window air conditioner and a small sink which was quite convenient. Each room has interesting art that has been painted by a local artist. Washrooms were somewhat clean and you could get fresh towels at the front desk as required. There are many shops in the area if you need to get food or supplies. As long as you are not expecting a 3+, 4 or 5 star hotel you will be happy to save some money as the place is fairly good. Mostly clean but I was not expecting too much. The location is great as well. I would certainly stay there again given that this hotel is fairly reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

wowee what a place. desperate for a place to stay for the night i was tired and almost delusional when google maps directed me to what looked like a building out of alice in wonderland. As i approached late at night we rang the buzzer and were transported to this quirky hideaway in the centre of manhattan. Desperate for a room the friendly and accommodating manager there quickly found me a key and offered me a shared bathroom room for only 80 dollars! I entered my room and was overcome by the cool decor and air-conditioned rooms! with a comfy double bed and towels provided i was more than happy to stay there. As i curled into bed my gratitude was beaming. Late check out at 11.30 i would recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget in NYC (which lets face it is anyone) Thank you so much Carlton Arms!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lovetotravel12_12
Reviewed July 16, 2012

It was my second time staying at the Carlton Arms in 2 years. Good place to stay if you don't mind the hostel ambiance. Sure the place is old, the bathrooms are questionable, the rooms are pretty small and the beds are okay at most but the place is clean. For the price and the location of this hotel I will probably book there again the next time I go to NYC.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends