“Great location, interesting artwork, and inexpensive” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Carlton Arms
Ranked #21 of 81 New York City B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, interesting artwork, and inexpensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for one night who actually rented the room in his name. The service was good. There is no elevator and there are common washrooms down the hall. Our room didn't have a terribly good view but it did have a window air conditioner and a small sink which was quite convenient. Each room has interesting art that has been painted by a local artist. Washrooms were somewhat clean and you could get fresh towels at the front desk as required. There are many shops in the area if you need to get food or supplies. As long as you are not expecting a 3+, 4 or 5 star hotel you will be happy to save some money as the place is fairly good. Mostly clean but I was not expecting too much. The location is great as well. I would certainly stay there again given that this hotel is fairly reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

wowee what a place. desperate for a place to stay for the night i was tired and almost delusional when google maps directed me to what looked like a building out of alice in wonderland. As i approached late at night we rang the buzzer and were transported to this quirky hideaway in the centre of manhattan. Desperate for a room the friendly and accommodating manager there quickly found me a key and offered me a shared bathroom room for only 80 dollars! I entered my room and was overcome by the cool decor and air-conditioned rooms! with a comfy double bed and towels provided i was more than happy to stay there. As i curled into bed my gratitude was beaming. Late check out at 11.30 i would recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget in NYC (which lets face it is anyone) Thank you so much Carlton Arms!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lovetotravel12_12
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

It was my second time staying at the Carlton Arms in 2 years. Good place to stay if you don't mind the hostel ambiance. Sure the place is old, the bathrooms are questionable, the rooms are pretty small and the beds are okay at most but the place is clean. For the price and the location of this hotel I will probably book there again the next time I go to NYC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank EricC911
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My teenage daughter and I visited New York for a long weekend last week. I was really keen to stay at this hotel ever since I read about it on here.

The location is fantastic. You’re ten minutes walk from the Empire State Building for example. The prices start from $80 a night for a room with shared bathroom for one person. We paid $130 a night for the two of us with an ensuite.

Some of the reviews made me a little worried that the place might be a bit loud and dodgy but this absolutely wasn't the case.

The hotel is surprisingly quiet for such a central location. We didn't hear anyoutside noise or other patrons in neighbouring rooms or moving around the corridors. It was better soundproofed than most other hotels I've stayed in. Although, I guess the incredibly loud air-conditioning unit acted as a white noise generator.

The artwork throughout the hotel is fantastic. We stayed in Room 11D which has a mural by Jean Michel Verret and Dominique Lagneaux covering the whole of the walls and ceiling. We were offered the choice of 2 rooms when we checked in – both on the top floor. I am pleased we booked an ensuite as we avoided having to wait our turn in the morning and needing to lug all our toiletries/clean clothes into the bathroom with us. Also, not sure if this was because we were getting up so early in the morning but we found that the shower took a LONG time to heat up. At least 10 minutes. I would have felt bad hanging around in a communal bathroom for that long.

Another reviewer referred to the Carlton Arms as the place "old furniture goes to die". The rooms all do seem to have a motley collection of rickety stools and tables usually painted to match the decor. I was a bit worried that the beds might be equally unstable and vintage. Not at all. Both double beds in our room were firm and really comfortable. I had uninterrupted night’s sleep throughout my trip. In addition, the air-conditioner and fan did a great job of keeping the room cool. We visited during a heat-wave and were totally comfortable throughout our stay.

I have given this place 5 stars despite any slight issues regarding the shower temperature etc because I loved the whole atmosphere and look of the place. If I visit New York again, I‘ll happily stay here. Hell, I’d happily live here. It has a fantastic vibe.

I did consider knocking a star off for cleanliness. On my return, the first question my mum asked about the hotel was “Was it clean?” To which the honest answer is “ish”. The floors were clean, the towels, sheets and random mismatching pillow cases had obviously been laundered. But there was a lot of dust. There are plenty of mouldings, nooks, crannies and multiple other places for dust to gather so it isn’t surprising. The thing is, I don’t usually notice such things and I still noticed it. Anyone with an attitude towards cleanliness that rates higher than “Not Quite a Total Slob” may not be entirely comfortable here.

On balance, I have decided this wasn’t worth losing a whole star for. I wasn’t bothered by dust collections in the corners and if I had been then a quick wipe round with a damp tissue would have sorted it right out.

If you are considering staying here then I recommend you read as many reviews – good and bad – as possible. It seems to me that the people who were disappointed with the Carlton Arms were expecting something else entirely. If Glastonbury Festival had a reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Manhattan, this would be it.

Finally, a shout out to Carlton Arm’s current cat, - Ophelia, an utterly beautiful grey and white former stray. She was either aloof or bitey the couple of times we met her but we worshipped her regardless. If I ran the Michelin Guide, I’d give establishments a star just for having a resident cat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank SoldierinPetticoats
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

The rooms differ from each other a lot, not just by their appearance but by tideness also. I stayed in two of them - the other seemed really old and sort of worn-out, but the other was cute. Not for people used to chain hotel -style, though.

The stairs are tough, really! :D Good daily workout for some, but probably impossible for some.

The location is great, but isn't any place in Manhattan?

I would recommend this to ppl used to a bit shabby hostels. The price is great!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank heidihoo2
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Returned here after first staying there 18 months ago.

The Carlton Arms is basic, but it's the best value in Manhattan. You should be spending the minimum amount of time in your room anyway. It is clean. Rooms are small but so what. I also got a 10% discount for paying up front, so $820 for a week is a bargain. One morning someone was in reception complaining there was no maid to make his bed, It's not that sort of hotel, just look at how much you are paying. And the area is great. Loads of cheap food places, bars etc around there. I cannot fault it and i will definitely be returning in the future.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FuzzleyFuzzington
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Look this place is a step up from hostel. For a reasonable price you can get a private room within in a good walking distance of Times Square.

The rooms are amazingly decorated, if you like the more interesting designs.Very interesting rooms are individually decorated and perhaps they could do with a little more maintenance, however shared services are regularly cleaned.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo