“Carlton Arms Hotel NY. Funky Cheap & Cheerful” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlton Arms Hotel

Carlton Arms Hotel
Ranked #27 of 74 New York City B&B and Inns
“Carlton Arms Hotel NY. Funky Cheap & Cheerful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

Let me first off say I can imagine this place isn't going to be for everyone. If you like your little luxuries then I don't think this is for you. If you've not got a good sense of adventure, then, again - this may not be for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for somewhere cheap to put your head down for the night, clean, & pretty close to the sights, then consider this.

We had a room with private bathroom (most rooms don't have a private bathroom). We had room 1D. It was quite a hike up the stairs with the bags. The decor is crazy (like the whole hotel) but that is its charm. Mind the stairs cos they are a bit worn away. The room isn't huge but I did a lot of research before booking and realised that there doesn't seem to be any such thing as a big room for a budget price.

Our room faced East 25th Street. I understand this was quieter then being on 3rd Avenue. It didn't really matter because we were that tired from sight seeing every night I'd of slept through anything.

Closet space is a little limited but I guess most people, like us, will only be doing a short break, so it didn't matter too much.

The location is handy. There is a cafe place opposite but we went for brekkie at the Sunflower diner on 3rd Avenue (take a left from East 25th Street on 3rd Avenue and cross the road). It's a great diner and the staff are great. There is also a great Indian on 3rd Avenue (take a right from East 25th) called Baluchi's. It's small, intimate and serves some damn fine spicy dishes!

The area felt quite safe to us. I say this because we saw the area where another hotel was that we had considered booking and I was glad I had booked here.

There is a hotel cat by the way! She spends most the day asleep on her throne chair in the reception area. You have to make sure she doesn't go into your room!

Just a quick note on the booking process. I did it direct with the hotel, via the website. I couldn't reserve the room I wanted (piccies are on the website of all rooms) but they said they would reserve a room with bathroom. I could see all available rooms on arrival (which in our case there was only 1 due to the time of arrival). I get the impression they have no shortage of bookings so you need to make sure you keep good email contact so they know you are still coming.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel provided that you are not too fussy. It's good fun to stay somewhere with a bit of character and it added to the fun our our New York stay.

Stayed November 2007
5 Thank madassoup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
frenzykat
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

..and each time it was an adventure. the first time, we were admittedly a bit nervous and not quite sure what i had gotten ourselves into.
the water pressure leaves something to be desired, but what can you expect for an old building.
the shared bathrooms are very clean, no bugs, clean linens and an alarm clock, what else do you need?
the staff is helpful and cheery enough. the location is great. yummy pizza, 2 pubs and a noodle house below and a starbux 2 blocks away.
the stairs are a killer! after a long day of walking the staris are the nail in your coffin. if you're looking for quiet..stay away from 3rd ave facing rooms, it's anything but.
you're in walking\viewing distance to a lot of NYC landmarks.

i'm sure we'll stay there again, unless we win the lottery...

• Liked — location, price, unique experience
  • Disliked — a bit noisy, beds not so comfy
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frenzykat
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

This place has no respect for reservations. A week before leaving to NYC for the weekend, we made reservations for a room with a private bath and reconfirmed two days in advance. When we arrived, however, no such room was available. Since we had to find another place for the same day, it turned out to be a very expensive weekend.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank DC_Thomas

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Tampa, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

We wanted a cheap place to stay in New York so we could spend more money on siteseeing. I booked by emailing the hotel and reserved a room about 2 months ahead. When we arrived, we got to see three different rooms. The first we looked at smelled like cat urine. The second one was nice and roomy but on the top floor. The third room, 7B, smelled a bit like smoke, but was on the second floor and the artwork was pleasant, so we chose that one. Like many other reviews, I found the place pretty clean (a little dusty in places). The best words to describe it are old and gritty. We did not have a private bath, and I dreaded going down to the public bath, but it was kept relatively clean throughout the day.

I was glad we chose a room on the second floor because the stairs were tough to navigate after a long day of walking. There were no blankets on the bed, but when we asked for one, they gave us two. Also, we needed an iron and they gladly provided one. We brought a noise machine to sleep with since there is constant honking and noise from the street below. That was a good decision since we were facing the 3rd Ave. side.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience. Next time I'll either spend a little more for something nicer or try to get a private bath.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The smell of smoke on our floor and the rusty sink
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KWhitten
Antwerp
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2007

Trying to find a nice, cheap with great location in NYC is really a nightmare. We were 3 to travel and one of my friends found out about the place. After having read some reviews, I didn't expect much of it as a lot of them were negative. It is definitely not a 5-star hotel with lots of facilities. Our room wasn't really newly renovated but the hotel is kind of funky (try the common bathroom on the last floor...). Nevertheless, for that price in NYC ( less than $300 for the week per person), I guess it is good value and it is very well located. The staff is very friendly. The last day, I missed my flight....and call them back to get a room. The hotel was full but they managed to get me a place to sleep. Thank god! I wasn't ready to go around town to find a hotel for a relative "good" price. (most hotels were full that week...). As my friends already left 2 nights before, I was alone but stayed most evening with the staff in their tiny office drinking a couple of beers.
Don't expect big fancy rooms but anyway, who stays in its bedroom while travelling to NYC??

• Liked — decoration / helpful staff
  • Disliked — propete salle de bains
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank kanpeoch
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

If you need a fairly clean/no frills place to sleep, shower and change at a rock bottom price, then this place won't disappoint.

A/C in my room worked great and there is a couple small restaurants across the way for breakfast. There are no phones, TVs or maid service in the rooms so it's very simple. I went alone to just see the sights in Manhattan so this place was perfect because I spent very little of my waking hours in my hotel room. The location is almost smack dab in the middle of upper and lower Manhattan and the subway is only a few minutes walk away. Wonderful!!!

I wouldn't take my SO there to stay as she prefers things a little more upscale, but for me it was a great deal.

I'd stay there again on my next solo trip to NYC. No worries!

• Liked — Reasonable Prices
  • Disliked — No blankets in my room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank halfwaytree
Saint Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed two nights at the Carlton Arms. Upon arrival the front desk handed us two keys and told us to pick which room we wanted.
Both rooms had a full and a twin bed but the decor was completely different. The room on the second floor seemed to be on a slant so we choose the fourth floor room. The room was big enough for our luggage and laptop. We didn't worry about security since we were given a Master lock to use while we were out of the room.
Had a shared bathroom. The fourth floor bathroom had a shower only. Husband used that one while daughter and I went to the third floor to use the tub/shower. The bathrooms were very clean and the floor tile looked new. We never had to wait for a bathroom. After long days and evenings walking around NYC we took our pillows and sat on the fire escape and enjoyed some cold beer (there is a grocery store kiddy corner). Besides people watching we listened to people singing kareoke across the street.
Our room was in the middle of the hotel so we had no street noise at all and our neighbors were fairly quiet. Didn't need the earplugs we brought.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Not your same old cookie cutter hotel
  • Disliked — 4th floor seemed really far after a long day of walking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family