“Great Bar”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The bartender made the best drinks, but they're not cheep.The atmosphere is wonderful. A great place to start the evening

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped in here for a drink on the recommendation of a friend. It's a little hard to find in Grand Central Station but well worth it. There was printed material at the coat check explaining the history of the Apartment. It is beautiful and intimate. We found the staff to be friendly. We were not there at a particularly busy time (a Sunday evening in February). The cocktails are interesting, quite tasty, and expensive! They were out of bourbon, a featured item in many of the cocktails, which limited the choices (I still don't understand how a bar in the middle of Manhattan can be out of liquor). This is definitely a great place for out of towners. I'm not sure I would frequent this establishment if I lived in NYC but it's perfect for a one time visit.

1  Thank jshor
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is my favorite spot in this part of town, I have hit other bars further south when I make it that far and the city has its share of trendy, hidden, vibrant bars that have far more cachet with the hip set than this place. It still makes great drinks, classics and new, occasionally the bar staff is happy to experiment with you, but it's not so much that kind of place. During the week as you get to later in the afternoon it becomes the spot where people stop for a quick one after work before they get on a train, and the place is packed solid. On a Saturday afternoon, say, it's a relaxed, civilized place for a strong one before dinner, if you happen to be around here. I like it both ways and definitely recommend the place if you are around Grand Central.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been here before and its still one of the nicest places to relax in New York. Great cocktails, excellent service and a fabulous atmosphere reminiscent of bygone days.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was probably the best bar I have ever been to. I am not a keen bar-hopper, but this was excellent. The atmosphere is superb, the bar being situated in Grand Central Station in the old office of industry magnate Campbell. It has a nice 1920's feel to it, something that is reflected in the drinks as well as with the waitresses. Other drinks besides those on the menu are also possible to receive on request. Nice choice of background music and a good mixture of people. Dress up a little is my recommendation.