“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Laut

Laut
Reserve with OpenTable
Laut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,717 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Demarest, New Jersey
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Great flavor all around. Roti canai was perfect and a good portion as well. Chili crab, standard curries (green with shrimp) were all very flavorful. The place was very busy but with attentive service. A great experience all around.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Yummy Laksa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was visiting a friend when I casually mentioned that I was interested in laksa. She immediately brought me to this place to try out their laksa. The cuisine at this place is Malaysian, Singaporean, and Thai. I didn't get to try the Thai food so I'm just commenting on the Malay/Singaporean food. The place was easy to get to by Metro. We came at dinnertime and there were tables available for us to sit down. The place looked clean and the decor was simple yet tasteful. The wait staff was polite. We didn't take long to look over the menu because we knew exactly what we wanted. We ordered the roti canai ($8) and curry laksa ($12). For those who don't know, roti is a special type of light airy "flatbread" kind of like naan (but fluffier) where you dip into a yummy curry sauce. That was a nice appetizer. The laksa itself was good and I thought it was yummy. The laksa noodle soup is like a sweet, spicy, and salty lemongrass curry with spices. I don't have much experience at other Malay restaurants/food, but this personally was good. The noodles (I ordered the thin rice noodles) were a little hard to grip with your chopsticks as they tend to slip out so quickly so watch out. I asked the waiter to bring a small dipping bowl of fish sauce because I like to add just a tad of additional fish sauce to the broth for that umami flavor. As a southeast Asian, I love adding fish sauces to broths for that extra oomph. The price point was okay, I felt the appetizer was a bit expensive for the quantity we had, but the laksa price seemed just right. I think I'd like to come back here again and try the Malay curry.

• Visited September 2013
Rome, Italy
“Authentic Malaysian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Small, busy place near Union square. The restaurant is very simple, decorated in a rather traditional and not at all trendy way with bright colours everywhere and it can be a bit noisy. If you go for the real South East Asian food, you won't be disappointed. During the week and at lunchtime it is better to book in order to have one of the quieter tables and that is what we did. Our food was tasty and perfect throughout from the starter until the dessert. The service was fast, efficient, the waiters looked after us very well. Good quality-price relation and I can only recommend it!

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great union square restaurant! Good service and delicious food. We can't wait to go back. We met some friends here and it was a fun environment but not too loud.

Visited December 2013
San Francisco
“Lousy, Loud Laut”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

This exactly what happens when a tire company gets to "honor" food places. Soon with Trip Advisor and Yelp and Google where real people express their opinion, this Michelin Star factor will lose its importance and places like Laut will not be able to oversell themselves. We went with a Groupon and it was the very first time we were offered a special menu for groupon. The food that was given was not worth even $30 total although they claimed it was worth $89. Food was simply bad and our next table sent their food back. It was neither Malay nor Thai food. We frequent both of these countries and know how the food really is. We had a fish fillet, squid, fried tofu and roti. It was all BAD. Yes, even the roti was not real. The curry sauce so soupy that one could drink it like water. And the chef's choice desert were something that one gets for free in every Chinese restaurant in SF where we live. Bean soup and grass jelly. Both were disgusting in this restaurant. Noise level was uncomfortably high. Whoever designed the restaurant with tin ceiling and tile walls does not understand science. It was a real lousy experience.

• Visited December 2013